1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Weekly Pixel-Off

Discussion in 'Art' started by pigrocket, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 'Ere ya go :devil:

2. Toakongu834

Toakongu834 Big Damn Hero

Hmm... Pixel Art battles? sounds interesting...

Entry:

Green Eggs and Ham
    [​IMG]

You know you want some... :p

3. I just finished my "ENTRY!"​
    [​IMG]
    ...and here it is just a little bigger​
    [​IMG]
    Got Milk?
    D:

4. Toakongu834

lol you definitely won... How long did you spend on this? ._.

Mopy likes this.
  5. Awwww, that's really sweet :love: , but the other entries are pretty amazing too! Also, I probably put in somewhere between 4 and 6 hours? I tend to lose track of time when I'm creating art. This was just the inspiration I needed, so thank you for putting this together Pig. :barefeet:

pigrocket and Toakongu834 like this.
  6. Toakongu834

Yeah... I spent like half an hour on mine ._. so the amount of time you put into your entry makes yours definitely worth more...

7. but who doesn't love green eggs and ham? :)

Toakongu834 likes this.
  8. My pleasure. I sure didn't expect anyone to put in 4-6 hours ever. That's dedication.

WoxandWarf and Mopy like this.
  9. I had fun, but I was mainly looking for inspiration and motivation. I will probably work on a much smaller scale from now on since that's where my true passion is. I love the challenge of saying the most I can with a small amount of space.

You've done that beautifully by the way!

pigrocket likes this.
  10. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

4-6 hours has definitely conjured up a great piece of art. Good job Mopy.

Mopy likes this.
  11. centor111

centor111 Cosmic Narwhal

Can we get a definition on pixel art because everything is made of pixels.... And after someone doing a 6 hourer someone else might *cough dragonith cough* might pull a 7 hour + and make the pixels soo small it looks smooth enough to be rough digital art. Just saying we probably need a maximum size for the drawings

12. Pixel art is digital art created using tools that allow precise pixel manipulation, so the use of tools like opacity, brushes, and others that don't provide precise control over pixels would not be considered pixel art. Size of the art does not determine whether something is or is not pixel art. Pixel Joint, for example, has a wide variety of pixel art in a wide range of sizes. Having said all that, my cupcake is actually still fairly small, the first image is the actual size of the art. Also, just because something is bigger, does not make it better (insert joke here). It is actually much more challenging to do something on a smaller scale, having more room made my job easier to get in all the details I wanted. Also, a bigger resolution does not equate longer time, in fact just the opposite is true for me. I work MUCH slower when I'm working on a smaller scale. It takes a lot of pixel shuffling and color adjusting to get everything just right. For example, I put well over 10 hours on one 8x8 dirt tile for my MC texture pack, it is a bit different because you have to deal with unique issues that don't affect sprites like tiling, but still.

I do understand where your coming from, but limiting size won't necessarily solve the concern you have. I would, however, suggest a time limit. I admit I got carried away, but all I really wanted was some inspiration, which I certainly found with this challenge, but a time limit would force all of us to use our problem solving skills. Of course we'd all have to be on the honor system, but I've found this has worked quite well for texture challenges on the MCF. There aren't any prizes involved, so people have no motivation to lie, and pretty much the only reason we all participate in challenges is to flex our artistic muscles.

13. Indeed. Maybe soon we'll all get good enough to make huge pixel art.

centor111, WoxandWarf, Mopy and 2 others like this.
  14. Well lets not get too carried away now. Remember, it's not the size of the art that matters but how you use the pixels! :giggle:

15. 1000-bit ITS AMAZIN.png

FixelPixel, centor111, Affero and 7 others like this.
  16. Roxie Stables

Roxie Stables Parsec Taste Tester

You have two /spoilers in the final spoiler of the intro :V
    I suggest getting rid of one of them, for aesthetic purposes.

pigrocket and WoxandWarf like this.
  17. Zooey and Mopy are tied. What do?

18. Someone broke the tie.
    Mopy wins! :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Hush now.

19. Ahem.
    I wonder when there will be week 3?
    (Gabe Newell syndrome?:cautious:)

centor111, Ezlur, Dragonith and 2 others like this.
  20. WOOOPS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.