Weariness

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by tomany2, Feb 29, 2012.

1. tomany2

tomany2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Red = Recent Edits (Most edits will be from other peoples ideas, thank-you to all who contribute)
    Yellow = Old Edits

My mechanic that I have in mind is a Weariness function. When on planets, over time you become "Weary" due to the different atmosphere of the planet in comparison to your home planet, or your space station. While "Weary", all defensive and offensive abilities - your damage taken/given - drop the "wearier" you become.

How it works.
    Weariness will be a separate bar from HP, and will range from 0 - 100% increasing 1% per minute. Hence 100 minutes (1 hour, 40 minutes) on a planet will bring weariness to 100%
    A Planets Gravity will have an affect on the weariness level, as well as the toughness of enemies, and the amount of work you do. The affect of gravity to the percentage will be unspecified until we learn more about planetary gravity. The amount of swings/uses on anything will increase weariness, any weapon used, or mining tool used will increase weariness. for now, lets say +1% for every 50 swings, shots, or anything else that may be an action. This is subject to change if it seems to low or too high
    Planets without an atmosphere will cause instant weariness unless you have a space suit, SO SUIT UP! (Thanks Starheaven07)

Stages of Weariness.
    25% - Defensive abilities go down by 1, as well as damage by 1.
    50% - Defensive abilities go down by 3, as well as damage by 3, and only 90% speed.
    75% - Defensive abilities go down by 5, as well as damage by 5, speed to 85%, Jump height to 90%.
    100% - Defensive abilities become null, damage goes down by 10, speed to 80% jump height to 85%, and a constant damage of 1 hp every 10 seconds.

Weariness Cures / Slows.
    Cure - Return to your shuttle and sleep. weariness will instantly reduce to 0%, allowing for safe exploring again.
    Temporary Cure - Building a house and putting a bed in it (assuming there are beds in the game) will reduce your weariness to 0, but due to still sleeping under the atmosphere, and not in your pressurized shuttle, all weariness times will be halved, IE instead of 1 minute per %, it will be 30 seconds per %, Red space suit will become 37.5 seconds per % ETC ETC.
    Red Oxygen Tank Space Suit* - +15 seconds per weariness. (1 min 15 sec = 1% weariness, 2 hours 5 minutes till 100%)
    Yellow Oxygen Tank Space Suit* - +30 seconds per weariness. (1 min 30 sec = 1% weariness, 2 hours 30 minutes till 100%)
    Green Oxygen Tank Space Suit* - +45 seconds per weariness. (1 min 45 sec = 1% weariness, 2 hours 55 minutes till 100%)
    Blue Oxygen Tank Space Suit* - + 1 minute per weariness. (2 min = 1% weariness, 3 hours 20 minutes till 100%)
    *Changed to space suit thanks to Daitenshi's point, Space suits will reduce the effect of weariness due to gravity and air pressure / atmospheric pressure.

Home Planets
    Weariness will not increase on home planets, unless you are doing tiresome activities, which stopping and resting will make it go down.

cheese, Madmarlon and Kjkillercom like this.
  2. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Mn. Interesting idea. Let me play devils advocate to help expand... Aren't space suits suppose to negate the extra or lesser pressure felt on planets?

3. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

What about home planets
    surely these would not increase said weariness

4. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Space Suites are supposed to be very expensive hotel rooms that are in orbit around a planet
    I have spent the night in one and I can assure you that it is simply delightful

5. Daitenshi

Oh you clever bastard you. Suits. Not Suites. Suits. It's late. My fingers hit extra buttons sometimes.

Can't we manipulate he environment on home planets?

6. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

To be fair you are expected to wear a suit when attending a banquet at a space hotel

Daitenshi likes this.
  7. Daitenshi

We're going to get this poor fellows thread closed for being so off topic Star.

8. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

I am sorry
    I can see that you grow weary of this perhaps another time
    see
    weary
    time
    i am hilarious

9. Daitenshi

And perhaps a little drunk? On topic, Perhaps the gravity level of some planets can cause the effect of weariness.

10. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

this is a very good idea
    perhaps fighting excessively or the planet difficulty level will also increase it

By the way any man would be weary after a banquet in a space hotel
    believe me it is quite fun

11. Daitenshi

Your "banquets" generally involve late night don't they?

12. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

speaking of late night weariness it is time for bed

this idea is good I will like to see how it develops

13. tomany2

My god. i go to sleep, and wake up to this? =.= Ill edit some stuff and add some of your ideas later on in the day, im in class currently. Thanks for the input guys c:

14. Daitenshi

Of course! It's what we have no lives for!

15. tomany2

How is the edit? did i miss anything? or anything you want to add?

16. Daitenshi

Yeah Looks good!

tomany2 likes this.
  17. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Let us not forget that some planets
    may not have an atmosphere
    in which case
    instant weariness is a better solution then death
    unless you wear a space suit of course

tomany2 likes this.
  18. Daitenshi

Maybe Space Shield... Shields, like energy shields. aren't as aesthetically distracting.

19. tomany2

Ill be adding parts of this to the suggestion!

20. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

what you mean like Sonic bubbles