Weariness

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by tomany2, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Not nececarilly, the devs said, maybe there won't be a limit at all, so some planets would be infinitive!

2. Madmarlon

Back to topic, I have this idea. It's kinda from minecraft.
    How about some food, you can eat it on the way so you don't have to return to your base every hour!
    This would make it possible, to restore your weariness along your way!
    Also, this would maybe add another aspect to the game: food farming!
    You would have to buy food, plant some seeds, or loot enemys, in order to survive.
    Then weariness wouldn't just be another nuisance, but a natural drive, that would fill out the game a little bit more!

3. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

You don't want to make it too much like Minecraft though or else they run the chance of getting called out on ripping off mechanics
    The devs would have to think very carefully about such a system

4. Nodscouter

Nodscouter Subatomic Cosmonaut

Still, what'd be the point of having such a system? I'd much rather have farming/herb system that's give you buffs, not something that requires me to do such things. Farming and such should be something optional, not something you'd have to do in order to survive.

5. Madmarlon

Well, I don't think Minecraft INVENTED the food system. And still, we have weariness. Our system includes the urge to sleep, and constant negative effects, depending on the height of your weariness. I don't think that would be copying if the possibility to eat food would be added!

6. cheese

cheese Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think the whole idea of weariness is to need rest.
    I don't think having to sleep every hour (depending on the planet) would be nuisance.

But I guess certain items would be a blessing here.
    Food, I disagree with.
    Steroids however.
    Or energy drinks.
    Maybe there are certain baddies that we could kill/harvest and make some drink/pill/injection that could multiply the amount of time it takes for the weariness to set in.

7. Madmarlon

Pills, steroids, injections...
    I think, that would remind people to much of drug abuse! :eek:

8. cheese

Whatever it takes to stay awake man! :speechless:

Madmarlon likes this.
  9. Madmarlon

dude, this game is supposed to be for kids, too!

10. cheese

True.
    On the topic of weariness: pills/etc for adults, candy/etc for the kids!

Just kidding.
    But I still feel that food is heading in the wrong direction for curing weariness.
    This might just be me, but I feel quite sluggish after eating a large meal.
    In no way do I feel like working hard afterwords.

11. Madmarlon

I get your point, but it was just an idea, maybe revert to stuff like, energy-chocolatebars :/

cheese likes this.
  12. Nodscouter

Not a constant nuisance, but every now and then having to drop whatever you're doing and sleep, without any reason for it, is just bad design.

Madmarlon likes this.
  13. cheese

Maybe it's time to suggest a cryostasis-satellite.
    It could zap the planet or just you and you could sleep for what you perceive as only a split second.
    You wake up feeling rested and your weariness is gone.
    And all it took was a flash on the screen.

High-tier of course.

14. Nodscouter

Wait, so you're suggesting something that, instead of having to pause for a few seconds every hour, for no reason, you have to click a button every few hours?
    I'm sorry, what did this add again?

15. cheese

Instead of having to return home or to your base to sleep (to get rid of the status defects of weariness) you could zap your planet and keep working.
    And it's not for no reason.
    At 100%, according to OP, you start to die, and have no defence.
    That sucks. Sleeeeeep.

16. Nodscouter

All right. Just answer me this question: What does having to stop every hour or so to sleep for a few minutes, or else you'll die, add to the game? How is it fun? What makes it so desirable to have it in-game?
    All it is, right now at least, is limiting exploration and forcing people to stop being entertained once an hour.

17. cheese

I think it adds a nice bit of realism to the game.
    I suggested a "realism mode" that is optional at character creation (here) to add a bunch of features that would increase the realism that so many people like to have.
    And of course there are many people who hate the idea.

It's just adds a nice layer to the game.
    Of course this could easily be optional, right?

18. Nodscouter

Definitely optional. Realism =/= fun. Realism isn't even really desirable in a game like this. I never heard people demanding realism in Terraria. Realism is something important if you're making a simulation, not a game. Or if adding realism is something that's fun.

19. SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy Phantasmal Quasar

Sorry for reviving alot this thread,however,i cannot resist,what you are speaking about is not the actual realism,it belongs to it,Space scifi based game on megaman and such with uncomprehensibly simple way to do so IS expected to have as example no oxygen and extreme cold/heat/radiation in space

Fun is something that satisfies our needs,makes us happy and learns us something,realism is fun,but only on right place,nobody said that game needs to be full-mode realism as arma participates,but having realism in major features as example i metioned the oxygen,zero gravity state wich is crucial for a game wich is majorly set in space enviroment and about the actual space

Arma is a game,with simulation perspective,why cant have bit of immersion,complexity and soft paced realism starbound aswell? From my own experience trough game,i personally think it would be an amazing diversity added into the game allowing another thousands of possibilites for variety of players,as roleplayers and even casual players greatly