This game needs a sport...

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by Power-Mad, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Power-Mad

Power-Mad Aquatic Astronaut

So there's going to be some alien races all over this game, right? And you could always used something that isn't just flat out combat. So how about you make some kinda sporting event as a side quest? Teams and races would fit the randomly generated nature of the game, and it'd give the more miscellaneous gear you get to be of some use.

I have a few simple ideas I could go into for how a sport could work, but I don't wanna get ahead of myself. I'll just see what people think of the idea first.

2. merlin.violet

merlin.violet Void-Bound Voyager

That sounds like a great idea! I think it would be neat to have sorts of minigames in which you could play sports/games.

3. Power-Mad

Power-Mad Aquatic Astronaut

I just read the sticky for this and apparently the sticky says I should go in depth. "At least a paragraph". So I'm gonna throw out one idea quick before I go to sleep.

A dodge ball mixed with grappling hooks. Have 2 teams of like 4 players or so each on their own half of the court. Throw a handful of balls in there. Use the grappling hook to grab the balls, cannot touch even a still ball without the grappling hook. If you have a ball on you, you can't use your grappling hook so your teammates have to defend you with theirs. Overall goal is to eliminate all your opponents. I could flesh this out a bit more, but that would be the basis of it.

I've also been playing around with a basketball style game mixed with rocket boots but this sounds easier to make and make AI for.

4. Giant Door

Giant Door Space Penguin Leader

I like the idea of a sport, I definitely want to see one in there... and your sport concept is excellent. It might take a bit of trial and error to get it right, but once perfected I can see it being a really frantic and fun game. I really hope they consider it, or put the sandbox tools in the game so people can create sports like this on their home planet.

grappleballer.png
    Edit: Actually on second thought I reckon it would be more fun if it had a goal/hoop than being like dodgeball... it would be cool to intercept shots with the hook and make a play of your own​

5. ArcaneMusic

ArcaneMusic Big Damn Hero

Rocket tennis.
    From tf2
    Except with planets and antigrav bombs.

Clalle likes this.
  6. ImaWario

ImaWario Void-Bound Voyager

It would be super cool to see procedurally generated rules and whatnot, if somebody could think of a good way to do that.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  7. PokemonAce101

PokemonAce101 Subatomic Cosmonaut

This would be so cool. I can see a space hobo and a pengiun doing hot potato with a frag for money :rofl:

8. Wuzhles

Wuzhles Cosmic Narwhal

I don't know why, but I would love to play Soccer with spider-aliens. Like with 8 legs and such. Wouldnt be too hard, just create a ball item with physics that reacts to players and/or creatures touching it.

Or maybe like, that gun thing where you shoot a orange plate thrown into the skies by some machine.

Zoraculus likes this.
  9. baseballlover99

baseballlover99 Orbital Explorer

This sounds like a great idea and it would be awesome, especially if baseball was in the case, but, unfortunately, I don't see how this could be done being a 2D scroller and all. :cry:

10. coolgamebro

coolgamebro Void-Bound Voyager

:cool: cool, as much as i love the modern day sports, i would love to see something unique to starbound

11. Roxie Stables

Roxie Stables Parsec Taste Tester

Olympic games maby?

12. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

For some reason I thought of the sport from FF10

Rankomonaut and Evangelion like this.
  13. Chuchu13

Chuchu13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That idea with ball and grapling hooks sounds interesting :) I read this yesterday and I'm still thinking about some crazy sport which would fit in this game.
    Some race on mounts would be good, but not so original.... Maybe some bloody sport like killing each other on mounts? ( not original) I don't know,but I will think about it and surely will post my ideas :)

14. Stephano

Stephano Void-Bound Voyager

I imagine there will be PvP.

cyrus25k likes this.
  15. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

I've Had a Idea. Bomb-O-Ball. The ball Is A Bomb, And To Win, You Have To Pass It Round All your Team without it getting caught by the opposition. After Passing it round, throw It At Their Core. Core Goes BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

16. 777eza

777eza Existential Complex

would be neat if for races there was a big mountain one team on one side one team on the other and you have to race to the top teleporters and jet packs are not allowed and you win by having your whole team up there first but not sure how the mountain would fit in the world

17. Spybuster

Spybuster Void-Bound Voyager

Another Sport idea could be Mount/horse Races, where everyone bets some money, runs a course on their mount and jump and dodge obstacles to reach the finish line first. And who reaches the finish line first recieves the money. Obstacles could be pitfalls, walls, sloped hills or dead ends.

18. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

Sport is Only Good if Shit Explodes

19. Spybuster

Spybuster Void-Bound Voyager

A little bit of landmines and Missiles I suppose would seem fitting, maybe everyone gets to shoot rockets at eachother during the race.

20. Vaughn

Vaughn Void-Bound Voyager

^ This. Racing would be easiest for devs to code. Blowing up makes it legit. Landmine racing (or floating mines and its a race on a bird so its kind of like the helicopter game) is a good mashup of both. Maybe not lethal mines though. Don't like dying. Especially in the middle of a race. Maybe just mines that dq you from the race and blow up your prized mount.