This game needs a sport...

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by Power-Mad, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Spybuster

Spybuster Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe the mines could slow someone down a bit when they are hit by them. After all it is a race. When you mentioned bird like mounts this old game called Joust came across my mind.

Not to intend to change the subject from racing, but this just seemed like it would be another interesting idea for jousting sport that is fought in the sky.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  2. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

I Got it. Strap a Missile to the back of Something, (Or Yourself) and See Which one Lives the longest. The Roof and Ground are covered in Landmines. BEAST IDEAH!

3. Vaughn

Vaughn Void-Bound Voyager

Or instead of mines, bring back the cobweb code from Terraria.

DeadlyLuvdisc and Alvin Flummox like this.
  4. RuskinReynolds

RuskinReynolds Big Damn Hero

i thought when i first saw this tread that it would be a game which arose from the game's unique physics etc, like spleefing in minecraft. I think the way that you have pets and train them etc should be a big part of an in game sport, racing them or fighting them or even beauty contests :rofl:

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  5. Vaughn

Vaughn Void-Bound Voyager

That's a fantastic idea! Pet racing with mines in it!

6. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Crazy Disks:
    Two vs Two team game.
    Theres a disk, that is randomly given to a team at beggining.
    The player whit the disk can throw it, and disk will fly, however it will slowly fall, even trough that it will be mostly straight.

In the middle theres a wall that wont allow players to move trough it, but will allow disk.

To get the disk, you must get close to the disk, and then click on it.

If the disk goes to far, and leaves the Stadium, the team that couldnt catch it loses a score.

The team whit less score loses.

There are special bonus, and weapons, that you may use.

Spiky Disk: This bonus will cause the player that catchs Disk to receibe 25 damage.
    Mega Disk: This bonus causes disk to be twice as fast.
    Crazy Disk: This bonus cause the disk to go in a random trajectory, changing of direction and making circles, going upwards, downwards... You get the idea.
    Mini Disk: This bonus cause disk to be half the size.
    Fake Disk: This bonus cause two disks to be shoot, separated by an angle of 90ยบ. The fake one will explode upon touch, dealing 50 damage.

Bonuses are obtained by catching them whit the disk during its trajectory, and are normally hard to get. Bonuses position changes each time someone chases the disk.

If an player dies during battle, he gets stunned for 1 Min, not being able to do anything.
    If an player dies while having disk, he may fire it once before getting stunned.
    The disk goes to the team whit less score. Always.

7. Ghoschief

Ghoschief Phantasmal Quasar

I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread yet, but I think it would be better and more likely to have pvp as a "sport", something in the likes of 2D Monday Night Combat

Plus, with all the detail going into the game... I don't doubt for a minute that people will find ways to make their own cool games in Starbound :)

Alvin Flummox and Casimir like this.
  8. DoomFire

DoomFire Existential Complex

It would be fun to have a Gravity gun/Grappling hook capture the flag sort of thing.

Both teams start off at oppisite sides of a large stadium, riddled with obstacles and traps. each player has a grappling hook in one hand and a gravity gun in the other, The gun can be used to push objects and players out of the way, and the hook can be used to either grab loose objects or pull a player to something or swing.

The objective is to bring back the other teams flag. If a player has a flag it will be easily seen by the other team, the other team then needs to either knock them hard enough against a wall, or knock something into the player hard enough to make them drop the flag. and any player being hit hard enough will be stunned for a second or two.

Not exactly the most original, but grappling hook/gravity gun could make it a very fast paced strategic game.

Eg. Your team consists of 4, you decide to have 2 defenders and 2 attackers, Your attackers use their grappling hooks to swing past solid obstacles and to gain as much speed as possible, while using their gravity guns to blow away defenders and loose obstacles to get in and out of the enemy area as quick as possible.
    While your attackers retrieve the flag your 2 defenders stay back and use their grappling hook to avoid getting stunned by the attackers and even using it to redirect fire and using their gravity guns to push them back and stop the attackers speed.

9. Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

Yeaaahhhh.
    I like playing sports on my computer instead of going outside.

10. Kamoda

Kamoda Sandwich Man

We could have mini golf, but in space. And with planets. And the loser has to commit sodoku by disturbing an angry nest of hostile rabbits.

11. Zwex

Zwex Void-Bound Voyager

I love this idea! I honestly think elements like this can have a significant impact on a game's success. PVP can be great in games, but it can get old after a while if there is no variation. Competitive games with objectives can be considerably fun, especially in open ended games like this. I believe elements like this are a big part of what keeps people coming back for more.

I really like the dodge ball idea and the use of a grapling hook. I know me and my friends would love playing that game, especially if players were allowed to form teams and compete in special events like tournaments. Teams could be awarded in-game special items that might even improve their characters' abilities in the specific sport or even vanity items.

This idea may have been proposed in the past, but either way I am glad that someone proposed this idea.

12. WyattDerp

WyattDerp Space Spelunker

Some sort of Super Mario type racing would be cool.
    EDIT: I mean the actual Super Mario, not Mario Cart Racing.

13. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

Riding Hover-Boards While Being Shot At By The Other Racers
    1st Prize: Survival
    2nd-Downwards: Death.

Zwex likes this.
  14. Flan The Flan

Flan The Flan Void-Bound Voyager

"May the first annual Starbound Hunger Games begin!"
    ..... That's a sport, right?

15. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

You are a GENIUS.

16. Force2Reckon

Force2Reckon Phantasmal Quasar

Agreed, I'd like to see one or two sports completely unique and original to this universe, or at least heavily modified versions of real sports/games, pod racing :p

:eek: Yes... just yes...

17. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

Cobwebs are the most annoying things in the world. So they'd be perfect for racing! :rofl:
    And for racing or hunger games, they could probably be easily arranged even if they aren't in. And I'm sure pvp will have some kind of death matches. People will come up with all kinds of things when the game is released I expect, people even made basketball/mini golf in Terraria.

18. Force2Reckon

Really? I never saw that anywhere. Do you have a link?

19. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

There's quite a few them but here's one

I said basketball/minigolf cus its not exactly either of them, but you get the idea! With a bit more control over settings and some more work I don't think it would be too hard to construct your own primitive sport though. Dodgeball might also work pretty well in an arena if there was any kind of bouncing projectile in Starbound :D

20. Force2Reckon

Hmmmm innnnnnteresting!