1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Meme?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by PastorJaxxon, Feb 10, 2014.

1. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

nu

2. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

yuz

Yzzey likes this.
  3. HexZyle

HexZyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I know dat feel.
    But people like it and no-one's mentioning the quality. Maybe use this as an incentive to make a better one? No-one's going to know that image is by you unless they know exactly how to look it up.

elusiveTranscendent likes this.
  4. PastorJaxxon

PastorJaxxon Star Wrangler

I know I'm probably just a derp for not knowing this but whats the thing chasing the Novakid?

5. thefrozenone

thefrozenone Master Chief

Let me just ask, but you guys realize an image macro isn't a meme, right? Does anyone know what a meme even is anymore?

6. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

It
    It's a meteor. It's a reference to the meteors that keep destroying EVERYTHING

cyberspyXD likes this.
  7. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Image macros sound like memes to me.

8. squirrel_killer-

squirrel_killer- Sandwich Man

Litagano Motscoud likes this.
  9. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

I'm liking everybody's posts from a month ago because you mentioned it.

elusiveTranscendent likes this.
  10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

The question is, do you know what a meme is? ;)

Memetics is a fascinating theory. It posits that "ideas" (memes) display aspects of a living thing, reproducing, competing, improving, undergoing selection - sometimes seeking to destroy rival ideas, and these ideas shape our minds and thought processes intimately. It was original proposed by Richard Dawkins, who believe it or not is a professor of evolutionary biology, and not just a loud mouthed atheist, the 'internet meme' just being a very obvious, self contained, primitive form.

If you've read that paragraph through fully and understood it, you'll realise I've just implanted a meme in your mind by doing that, a meme I originally picked up from Dawkins when he created his theory. You have to admit, it holds some currency

cyberspyXD and squirrel_killer- like this.
  11. squirrel_killer-

squirrel_killer- Sandwich Man

While your science is more or less accurate, your final statement isn't exactly true, as it is only successful if it spreads and catches on to some degree. Now this theory has proven to be quite real. Your statement of implanting it is not exactly a good example. The best example of a meme on a large real world scale is Religion, pick any religion from any point in history. You have a successful meme.

12. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I didn't want to bring up religion even though it'd make a far better example, as it'd probably derail the thread - in my experience, a lot of people object to it being used as an example of a scientific principle, one first proposed by Dawkins at that :p

(Also, yeah the theory certainly appears to be real. I was using the term "theory" in a scientific context, by the same token gravity is a "theory", but evidence for it, like memetics, is very robust and can be easily tested for yourself :p )

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  13. PastorJaxxon

I liked it when people posted memes instead of trying to explain to everyone what a "meme" is...

ThePenguinNich likes this.
  14. Mallacor

Mallacor Great Scott!

That's why you can't force it.

Inspiration comes naturally and creativity is application of said Inspiration.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  15. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

At least I didn't start it this time.

16. PastorJaxxon

Fair enough, I might need to think through it next time with wording n such.

17. jaw2233

jaw2233 Void-Bound Voyager

*bzz* *revives thread*[DOUBLEPOST=1409407479][/DOUBLEPOST]seriously? this a MEME thread, your making this whole thing ridiculous. who cares what what a meme is as long as its funny, if your not posting funny pictures here then just look at the memes, we don't need this much flame.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  18. UltraSnaky

UltraSnaky Pangalactic Porcupine

There's a problem with this situation.

19. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

Sure, yes.
    Let us make memes! :D

20. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest