1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Database for the masses !

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Duckpunch, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Duckpunch

Duckpunch Aquatic Astronaut

Hello, fellow starbound fans, and fanatics:

I am dedicating a website to the collection of information on creatures, weaponry, and planets in starbound
    ..essentially someone will be able to look up stats on different monsters, plants, items, etc.

This is the website as it is currently, it is not even close to being complete http://starchives.net/

If anyone is interested in helping me collect data to better help the starbound community, the help would be very much appreciated.

p.s. there may be cookies :cookie:

2. frostybubbles

frostybubbles Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What would someone have to do to help?

3. Mandachi

Mandachi Orbital Explorer

The website seems kind of crappy at the moment, doesn't it? If you're making it on your own I hope you have the skill to make it good

I don't think it's really necessary in the first place considering how much stuff is procedurally generated, and anything that needs to be known will be put on a wiki

Millways and WoxandWarf like this.
  4. Duckpunch

share whatever information it is they have on any given creature.(Primarily health amount) and if they have any distinct behavioral patterns, or abilities to watch for.
    share knowledge of recipes for creating different items.
    share coordinates of different planets, etc.

all knowledge of the game is valuable, its just a lot for one man to do alone.

The website is literally a day old, so patience !
    its possible that most information will be put on a wiki,
    hopefully i will be able to give certain things to the players, that the wiki cannot (not to mention the same information that is on the wiki)

more importantly, people should be able to comment and discuss different items, creatures, etc.
    I do appreciate the criticism and skepticism, they are things to consider

Breather and Noc like this.
  5. Cosmin Negoita

Cosmin Negoita Phantasmal Quasar

Hey Duckpunch,

I don't know how much I could help on collecting data (not till the game is released) but as an UI Designer I could help your website with a nice design. You could check out my Dribbble portfolio.

Thank you and good luck with your website!

Wuzhles likes this.
  6. Bloody<3

Bloody<3 Big Damn Hero

i for my own think its always nice when someone tries to support the players, and its rude to say its crappy or something! be a bit more adult answering on topics like that gosh

7. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

First things first: It's a good thing you're trying to start up this program for others to use.
    However...

There will be a wiki for Starbound. That's pretty much an undeniable fact. In fact, my guess is that there will be an official Starbound wiki sometime or another, which will make it the go-to info source for anything related to the game. A wiki has got search features, allows many people to edit the same page with both images and pictures, lists references for bits of info, and has a lot of other functionality besides.

In order for your site to shine, you'll need something the wiki does not have. I don't know what that is, exactly, but it should be some kind of feature that would make enough people come to your site to make hosting a website worth it. I'm not trying to bring you down, really. I just want to make sure you understand your "competition", as it were.

8. Duckpunch

Yes, a very valid point
    I wanted to make it more interactive, allow discussion, compare items/creature stats without having to change pages, allow users to post and share planet "seeds" and I have a few other ideas.

Also please feel free to let me know what features you would like to see in a database website.

bounding star likes this.
  9. Bloody<3

Bloody<3 Big Damn Hero

well that is a good point but it just was rude. i think if someone is supporting the community with whatever they like, and you dont like it for your own than just keep it for yourself. i mean why he had to tell this guy its crappy and stuff. duckpunch just wanted to be nice and even if the website is not looking this good , its better to keep up his motivation to do so instead of slamming his motivation in the ground telling him its crap what hes doing Oo. if all people would act like this nobody would help each other

XRiZUX likes this.
  10. Duckpunch

I appreciate that you care about my feelings bloody<3

but honestly I like when people are critical, I need the criticism - issues need to be brought up so that I can consider them, and make sure that I do whatever is in my power to make the site successful and innovative.

Breather likes this.
  11. I think you should've waited until the website was in a later stage of development Duck,
    since people are mainly gonna focus on how the website doesn't look good. (and won't give you actually helpful criticism)

WoxandWarf likes this.
  12. Bloody<3

Bloody<3 Big Damn Hero

well i dont want to be the moral guy :D i just said it was rude because it was. i know its important to be critical. the point is how someone is telling it to you

13. I disagree. If we have a voice and we have a concern, saying nothing will get us nowhere. If you were the OP and you want nothing but positive feedback, I highly suggest not posting it in a public place, where unfamiliar people often come and go.

Positive feedback simply makes you think you're in a good spot. That's not what you should desire. What you need is improvement, and that's where negative feedback comes in handy. It shows you what you don't see. It shows you what others see and what others feel.

Honestly, when it comes to presentation, if I was your client and you were to present something that's crappy, I will and will not hesitate to call it crap, no matter who you are. I don't care if you're nice. And that's only the real world. What more in the internet?

Kitty Box, AstroBlast and WoxandWarf like this.
  14. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

Also, because it really, really bugs me... The word is spelled "bestiary", not beastiary.

What are the little white dots for on the side of the Starbound and Bestiary buttons? And there's a text area in the logo, but no button or text that describes what it does. That should probably be changed.

WoxandWarf and AstroBlast like this.
  15. Duckpunch

Yes, like I said earlier the website is a few days old, I am fixing the spelling error and removing the white bullets, the text area will be a search bar.

I was mainly showing that a website does exist and is being worked on, for the purpose of providing info to all.

16. Eta

Eta Pangalactic Porcupine

Do you need help with the art on your website? I could help out with that! Like make buttons and stuff, maybe even a logo ;o

Noc likes this.
  17. Duckpunch

Yes I would appreciate any help, send me a PM and we can discuss specifics

18. MachoBandit

MachoBandit Pangalactic Porcupine

Awesome story, I agree.

You just totally kicked your first statement in the nuts by saying this.
    Just telling somebody's work is crap is not constructive at all, bring in some arguments!

^
    |
    (This is how you should pose critique)

19. NinjaNick

NinjaNick Subatomic Cosmonaut

There should definitely be a section for JUST the creatures they made independently, without the generator. The cameos could be in a subsection under that part also.
    And if you want this to be a community discussion place, maybe have creatures and planets of the week? I would check your website each week if you had those.

20. Bloody<3

Bloody<3 Big Damn Hero

ur right suika but i think i made my point by saying its the way you tell it to someone