1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Database for the masses !

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Duckpunch, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Sigh, you're merely making yet another loop.

I also partially disagree that 'the drive is there whether people criticize or not'. That is not true to many people, as it, too, is subjective in itself. That, however, is irrelevant. Although while it is true to some people, criticism of all forms [including destructive] on the other hand gives a more powerful drive.
    That said, it doesn't matter if the want to improve is there or not. But if you dun goofed, even though you want to improve, then what will complaining about it do? Will you really disregard a comment that would pretty much emphasize your want to improve just because you are already improve? I hope not, because that should give you a reason to work even harder to improve, because people are still unsatisfied with your results.

If everyone mentioned my art is a piece of shit, tell me what complaining can do to fix that. Absolutely nothing. Now tell me, does that make me want to improve? Yes. But doesn't that also want to make me want to quit? Yes. But is that relevant? Not quite.

"Suika your art looks awful"

That is something I get a lot as an art student. Do I give a shit? No. Does that mean I need to pull my shit together? Yes. Will complaining do anything? Absolutely not.

TL;DR Destructive Criticism. Is. Still. Criticism. It's in the name, people.

2. Derfpace

Derfpace Cosmic Narwhal

I has some of them HTML skillz. I could send you codes for empty pages based on what you have already done.

3. bludud101

bludud101 Phantasmal Quasar

It's more of a personal opinion.. Some people take it as rudeness, and others take it as destructive criticism

4. Oh my god. Regardless, it is STILL criticism, Destructive Criticism. Whether you get pissed of by it or not has nothing to do with it being criticism.

Criticism is the practice of judging the merits and faults of something or someone in a sometimes negative, sometimes intelligible, (or articulate) way.

By your logic it is safe to disregard constructive criticism as criticism because someone finds it as rude.

5. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

Okay, here's some criticism for everyone: We're really far off topic. I think this database is a good idea if we can all work together to come up with a way to distinguish it from a wiki, so let's stop bickering about what constitutes "constructive" and "destructive" criticism and help Duckpunch come up with some ideas. Sound good?

NinjaNick likes this.
  6. Good god, yes, finally. Been waiting for that. [Though before page 3 we were talking about whether destructive criticism is helpful or not; constructive criticism is completely irrelevant]

7. bludud101

Who knew criticism could be so controversial? :p

8. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Pangalactic Porcupine

Well initially i wanted to reply to some of the previous posts in here regarding the "looks kind of crappy" comment but after reading through 3 pages of pointless debates about what defines critizism, which form is or could be usefel and whatnot iam utterly bored by all those worthless and offtopic informations and i hope that it ends soon.

I think that this project is useful since i planned an identical project as front-end for a mod that apparently went more in-depth.
    It was basically a server-mod collecting datas from gameservers sending them to a database masterserver where all the informations are stored with gameserver IDs, visited planets, kill/death stats for players and whatnot. Yet my DB skills are basically non-existent beside my rudimentary understanding of ERMs etc and my general programming skills.
    Here is the old topic i once launched which has the latest model on the bottom http://community.playstarbound.com/...tabase-stats-auctions-mailsystem-clans.12808/
    That model sure is WIP since most informations and backgrounds are yet unknown like how NPCs are build and assemblied, how skills work ... etc etc

In any way, if you are interested, just PM me here or talk to me on IRC where iam usually more often that within the forum.
    Also rip the DB apart if you want, i take no credits for it.

I hope that this project goes well and am looking forward for it :3

9. bludud101

Going off what 2k said, I really hope this project goes somewhere and isn't just abandoned.

10. Duckpunch

Duckpunch Aquatic Astronaut

Rest assured - the project will not be abandoned !
    This weekend I will just not have much time to put much work into the site, I have a 10 page research paper due this monday, and have not yet started -sigh-.
    Plus so far this has been a 1-man job so theres a lot to juggle.

11. Huntrex

Huntrex Big Damn Hero

Seriously? Maybe he wants to see if the community will even use the site before actually making the entire thing?

ALSO to the OP, you are awesome, keep up the good work. :D Looking forrward to seeing your site evolve, so I may provide insight.

Duckpunch likes this.
  12. Well he wanted to see the community's response, but all he got was "you spelled this wrong" and "it looks like crap".
    That's why maybe he should have constructed a bit more of the site.

13. Huntrex

Huntrex Big Damn Hero

I think maybe the community needs to read entire OPS before actually posting. it's not his fault :p

AstroBlast likes this.
  14. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

Ideally, in software design, you try to gather requirements first - what does the stakeholder (in this case, the community) want out of the product. This is a HUGE HUGE part of software design, so much so that I'm required to take a course on it for my college studies. Afterwards, you design a prototype - a bare bones skeleton of what the program will look like with a little bit of functionality so that the stakeholder can test it a bit. This part helps the stakeholder figure out what parts he likes, what he doesn't like, and what needs to be added. Only then can the developer really get into programming.

Sometimes people design a little bit of a prototype before the initial requirements gathering. That's okay too. I think what caused all the negative responses initially was that there's not really any functionality on the site at all yet. You can't search for anything, there's no pictures other than the logo, the buttons don't lead anywhere... These things, mixed with the fact that this site doesn't seem to be a whole lot different than a regular wiki, are probably why the comments were negative. That's why I tried to point out some flaws and offer some ideas.

Developing software is a back-and-forth communication between the developer and stakeholder. As long as both teams work together, that's where good software come from.

Huntrex and AstroBlast like this.
  15. Huntrex

Huntrex Big Damn Hero

yeah, exactly lol. You know what your talking about. I was just pointing to the fact that this guy who decided to say "I think it should be worked on more" very nearly after the fact the OP posted that it was only a day old. But I'll stop yammering because I've posted before, that these forums tend to get clogged with pointless argument, and I'd be a hypocrit if I didn't stop arguing pointlessly. Good post by the way.

16. I see what you guys are saying now.
    Still, it's surprising how so many people can't give helpful criticism when the OP clearly says it was only a day-old project...

Also, just to be clear Huntrex, I never said he should work on it more.
    I said that maybe if he had announced the site later it would have been of benefit. [​IMG]

17. bludud101

Have you found anyone else to help out yet?

18. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

So... a Wiki?

19. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

OT: Good luck with the database, hopefully it turns out to be helpful in the future.
    I understand what you mean, Suika. But I don't agree because many people don't react the same way, and because people do not react the same way, constructive criticism would by far be better for everyone rather than just stating the work or intention is crap, it would lower the rate of people committing suicide.

I'm just saying, not everyone react the same way, destructive criticism is worse than constructive criticism.

bounding star likes this.
  20. Not everyone reacts the same way. That's correct. Now tell me how complaining about it, or even committing suicide [how'd that even pop up?] about it will help. If you, as the common people refuse to acknowledge destructive criticism as criticism, then I can completely understand why people would refuse to drop the use of destructive criticism when asked.
    You don't go in and expect someone to change if you yourself are not willing to do so, especially if both of you are equal in right.

And as mentioned already, this argument has been dropped and I really do not wish to bring it any further. Seriously. You're just going around in circles here.