1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Database for the masses !

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Duckpunch, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Actually, no. They go well. What exactly constitutes 'destructive criticism' as unhelpful? Honestly the only difference it makes from negative criticism is that it's a lot more 'painful' to receive. That shouldn't even matter, because in the real world, most of your clients won't give two shits about your feelings. They can and they will step on you if you fail to present to them what they want to see.

Basically, to make it short, constructive criticism is good, I agree with that. But that is not the only way to provide criticism, and its mere existence does not mean other forms must be avoided, because it can't.

Other than that, to be more on-topic, I'm not too satisfied with the site either, considering it's still under construction. That said, I can't really offer any other feedback.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  2. MachoBandit

MachoBandit Pangalactic Porcupine

Lol, you might as well call any stranger names while you're at it. Calling someone's work crap has no meaning unless you explain it. "Crap" itself is too subjective.

3. It actually does. it means it's unappealing, to the point where it is metaphorically compared with 'crap' or 'feces' as you would call it.

Now if a person who hired me to draw something called my artwork crap, am I just going to stand there? Rather than sit, cry in a corner, and complain about how rude my client is, I'm going to improve it in hopes to satisfy my client. Why? That's because he has something to offer me and I need it. In this case, we offer the OP publicity, and if he doesn't satisfy us, he's not getting it.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  4. bludud101

bludud101 Phantasmal Quasar

There's a very fine line between criticism and rude. If he said the reasons why he thinks it's bad, it would've been constructive criticism. Instead he gave his opinion and no thoughts on how it could be improved. EDIT: You're right in the fact that it WAS a form of criticism, but so is saying "It is an absolute pile of horse shit.", he shouldn't expect everyone to be polite, but it wouldn't hurt to be nicer about it.

Anyway back on topic. :p I'm not a big fan of buttons, and the logo needs some work. But other than that It's too early to judge anything very much, I'll check on it in a few days to see the progress. :)

Karamunin likes this.
    WoxandWarf likes this.
  6. MachoBandit

How would you do that? Other than making sure it does not resemble feces. You wouldn't know what to improve, you would just start over again and make something that is very likely to be called crap again. You can call this world a tough place because of all the douchebag people/clients that want you to work for them, but if you yourself turn into a douchebag and give the same useless criticism when you have the chance to actually help out other people to improve their work, you're no better and not helping anyone.

XRiZUX and Karamunin like this.
  7. Exactly. You need to find out for yourself where you screwed up. Because if the client explains nothing, even if you ask why, if you want their satisfaction and whatever they have to offer, you're going to have to fend for yourself into figuring out why the hell he called it crap.

Or give up.

As for the amount of douchebaggery in the world, let's face it. People do it, and you will definitely hate it. But if they have something that you don't, and you need that something, you're going to have to deal with it yourself, or simply try harder elsewhere.

Basically, man up.

But don't worry too much about it, because many people will explain why once you ask why. No one simply bothered doing so, in this case.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  8. MachoBandit

Alright.
    So basically what you're saying is that people who do not explain what you did wrong (right away), can be categorized as a douchebag.
    Q.E.D.

9. No. I'm saying that it doesn't matter how much of a douchebag someone can be. Complaining about comments such as 'this is crap' won't fix anything, but taking it as a sign that you definitely need some work does help, even by a little bit. So that means it would be best if you have to live with it.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  10. MachoBandit

Knowing that you need to improve does not help at all, not unless you also know HOW to improve. Just knowing that you're not good enough for something/someone is has no positive side to it (other than itself). But yeah, I feel like I'm starting to repeat myself here. I guess it's a matter of opinion/culture/manners, and my head wants me to leave it at that. 3AM here, I need my bed.

XRiZUX and Karamunin like this.
  11. I disagree. Knowing you need to improve does help, it's pretty straightforward. What happens if you know you need to improve? Not only do you try to figure out how, but you also try to figure out what to improve. You look at your work from a different perspective. That said, hypotheses can come up, some of which may or may not help in the improvement of your work. Regardless, you would stare at your work looking for mistakes. You will definitely find some, and you will definitely improve on those. Will it satisfy the client? Maybe. But satisfactory or not, did you improve? Definitely. Failure does not constitute a lack of progress. it just means you progressed less than expected, and nevertheless, it's still progress. [Unless you didn't give a shit and didn't bother progressing, then why bother complaining about anything?]

How you don't see that as 'helpful' is beyond my understanding. Is it because there is no guidelines on how to improve, or what to improve? This goes back to what I mentioned before:

In short, you need not guidelines for improvement, but the will to improve. Guidelines in how to improve is indeed helpful, but it's in no way necessary. The will to improve, however, is what drives you to want to improve [What use is a guideline if you don't want to use it?], and it often pops up when you are feeling unsatisfactory with your current work. Destructive criticism definitely emphasizes this, that is, if you accept it.

12. Mandachi

Mandachi Orbital Explorer

I was never really trying to give him feedback; at the moment it looks very unfinished and I had assumed most of it was temporary since it's a new website, so there would be no point in telling him what I thought about his placeholders.
    The main point I wanted to make when I made that post was that I was hoping he had enough experience and skill with website development to make a good website in the end. I can see this whole idea just failing to deliver if OP isn't serious about this and just started it on a whim.

13. Well then- that makes sense.

14. bounding star

bounding star Existential Complex

It's not exactly polished atm but I can see what your aiming for and I think it's a good idea. Pm me if you need any elp and I'll see what I can do.

15. Arch-Mage Zandor

Arch-Mage Zandor Space Kumquat

Not sure how the Bestiary would work with most monsters being procedurally generated..
    Also, just because it's bugging me. Faeces not Feces.

16. Arch-Mage Zandor

Arch-Mage Zandor Space Kumquat

17. Duckpunch

Duckpunch Aquatic Astronaut

its hard to determine exactly how it will work, since the game has yet to be released.
    If worse comes to worse, i'll make it a spot where people can share their caught monsters with each other and gloat.
    Not to mention change the name to something else.

18. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

As humans grow they should want to improve on something (typically something like their careers or a hobby) regardless of outside criticism. That drive is there whether people criticize you or not. So criticism like "It looks like crap" is not useful at all, since it gives no indication of why the person is saying it in the first place. I'll give a personal example:

Suika, your art looks awful.

Now, why am I saying that? Is it because I really think it looks bad? Is it because I'm trying to prove a point? Is is because I don't like you personally and therefore will disregard your work regardless of its merit? Or maybe it's just that I just don't like your overall style.

Only one of the above listed explanations is a reason for you to change what you're doing. The other explanations are personal bias, which isn't something you can base your own growth on, since I'll never be satisfied. After all, it's impossible to please everyone all the time, especially since there will always be a handful of people who criticize for the sake of criticizing.

(As a side note, I lied about your art looking awful. You're actually one of my fave artists - I've got a couple of your images as my desktop backgrounds :love:)

I'm going to guess that different parts (legs, body types, heads) will give creatures different abilities. You could gather info on what sort of abilities different parts give, and also what combinations are particularly deadly (for example, body of a grizzly bear with a T-Rex head, a scorpion's tail and stinger, and fish gills. *shudder* There would be no safe place to hide).

19. Duckpunch

Duckpunch Aquatic Astronaut

Right, wouldnt make much sense if the "T-rex Head" had randomly generated abilities or features every time.
    Any-who your suggestion makes sense, will be a lot of work - but probably very useful.