1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Notice Regarding DLC

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Hey!

I've heard there's some DLC-based controversy surrounding that PCGamer article linked earlier. Unfortunately, things were taken out of context quite a bit there. Just to be super clear:

We currently have no plans for DLC outside of the free, post-launch content updates we've always promised.

When asked how DLC would appear if we were to do it, we'd brainstormed and the idea of episodic missions came up, sort of like a TV series. But there would be no microtransactions, no shiny horse armor, etc. If we did do anything of the sort it'd be part of a large expansion.

Sorry for any heart attacks caused!

SuperMann, UKFX, The_Dagger and 78 others like this.
  2. enemarius86

enemarius86 Cosmic Narwhal

That means there could pe paid DLC's????

Tleno and Showbiz like this.
  3. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Guys relax, if we ever do DLC it will be for a massively substantial change at a cost that justifies the work. But we have zero plans to do any right now anyway. DLC isn't a bad thing, remember expansion packs? Horribly priced, nickle and dime DLC is horrible. Chucklefish will never do that.

Kalrirr, Rakogoki, Ado and 105 others like this.
  4. enemarius86

This clarifies alot.
    Thx!!!

5. joshmusic95

joshmusic95 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can actually imagine DLC being on steam, and I'd be totally cool with that, with exclusive weapons, more planets, missions, maybe episodic stories, there's a ton of potential it sounds great.

6. mxpsych

mxpsych Subatomic Cosmonaut

Starbound vs. Bizarro-Starbound

Dimensional portals open on any world you've established a base on and evil versions of all your NPC's invade - their power is relative to your power level because, well, they're just the alternate-dimension versions of you!

Oh... sorry, i thought this was the place to suggest paid DLC. I'll be on my way.

Rakogoki and Captain Malcolm like this.
  7. ZanVaelius

ZanVaelius Existential Complex

Thanks for clarifying :) You're awesome :3

Colton likes this.
  8. TheTimeLord

TheTimeLord Existential Complex

Why isn't this stickied?
    Also, how would DLC work in worlds already made?

9. Sowaka

Sowaka Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks for taking the time to clarify this! As always, you guys are the best!

10. Curse Starwind

Curse Starwind Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm pretty sure that would largely depend on the type of DLC.

Marokutai likes this.

11. Good point! Stickied.

And, like Curse Starwind said, that'd largely depend on the type of DLC and right now we have none planned. :p So, I don't know.

12. enemarius86

The beta version isn't planned yet. How could a DLC be planned...

Seifer.BK likes this.
  13. McRib

McRib Astral Cartographer

Thanks for clearfy.

An addon i would buy as long i get a tiy character that i can sent to the lava planet/ice planet :p.
    On the another hand.. legris was pretty good at dying on the ice world :)

McRib

14. ZanVaelius

I presume the hypothetical DLC situation will become clearer once the game is released and we start getting the content updates. There is high but not 100% probability that DLC will work in a way akin to that of the content updates and as such once they come out the developers will know how they should handle the hypothetical DLC question.

15. enemarius86

Yeah... THERE WILL BE PAID DLC'S... That's for sure... Blaaah
    Not cool

16. Yes...it is? It's what we've been working on all this time.

But we literally just said we had no plans for them right now.

Teudys, onerb2, madkillller and 18 others like this.
  17. joshmusic95

joshmusic95 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just no team based hoard mode! although it would be fun, I think it would be better as a mod

18. enemarius86

,,right now"???

19. ZanVaelius

Sigh...... As of the 4th of September 2013 there are no DLC plans.
    But let's say on 45th of February 2015 one of the devs gets this cool idea that will take them a lot of time and effort to develop... maybe then they'll make it a paid DLC

20. mxpsych

mxpsych Subatomic Cosmonaut

After a game has been out long enough it needs an overhaul... whether that means new content, rebalancing... graphical changes...

Look at any MMO that's out - expansions are a neccesary part of a living, breathing online game that you want to continue to have new experiences in.

Have faith that Chucklefish will only implement this kind of "paid DLC" in an effort to keep their game world thriving for years to come.