1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

PC GAMER October preview

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by pedpenguins, Sep 4, 2013.

1. pedpenguins

pedpenguins Subatomic Cosmonaut

I picked up PC GAMER (UK) today for the Warframe £20 currency and i noticed a article about Starbound
    i cant be bothered to type it up but ill post pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Edit*
    Apparently this article has mistakes Omni replied in this thread
    http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1lp4lf/starbound_in_pcgamer_oct_2013_issue/

Omni's statement:

"Oh jeeze.
    Ok, this was explained very poorly, let me try to relay how this idea was explained to me.
    All content from this subscription thing will be released as updates for free. The subscription thing is for access to servers where we run the story event live, weekly.
    But any server can run these events. Any extra content will be released to everybody. And essentially no one gets left out. Let me see if I can't find the chat logs where he floated this idea to me."

**Edit**

The Dev's official word on the subject matter
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/regarding-dlc.29340/

2. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Cool, thanks for sharing. That episodic DLC bit is particularly interesting...

3. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

I all I heard was DLC... and I kinda freaked out. I'm good now though!

dhxmg likes this.
  4. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

i like the article. as an old time member it made me grin but showing this to new people will definitely peak some interest. the beginning had me worried but it was like..a thousand times better than i expected~.

all i know is that i want "Starbound Saturday" to be a thing. it's the date where most thing have come to a slow; so in my mind, it makes the most sense to release the updates

5. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Interesting. I would like some clarification about that episodic DLC thing tough.

GrumpyMcfart likes this.
  6. Gaikang

Gaikang The Number of the Minibeast

So how about that paid for downloadable content? Isn't that one of the thing they said they wouldn't do? I'm not even sure anymore, it's so hard to keep track of what they say and what they're actually doing. That story mechanic they talked about sounds pretty cool at least.

Also, there is an online version of this with nine full sized images, which you should probably go about posting instead.

7. Blue

Blue Former Staff

All I recall them saying is that there would be no microtransactions. (IE : 5 bucks to get 1 really awesome sword, which you buy right from in the game.)

8. pedpenguins

There's prob an offical Epub of it but i don't have that and I'm not gonna search for it

9. Curse Starwind

Curse Starwind Subatomic Cosmonaut

All sounds very interesting. I really like that the modding is going to be so simple to start with, the last game i ever made mods for was Morrowind because it was quite easy and i had the time for it, but in comparison the way Tiy is describing Starbound it sounds much simpler, but at the same time, even more in-depth.

Thanks for posting the article.

pedpenguins likes this.
  10. Lawls

Lawls Space Kumquat

I hope they don't keep content out of the game and put it into dlc instead.:( Sounds alot like Halo 4 Spartan Ops though.

11. Fortis

Fortis Pangalactic Porcupine

Tiy has been quoted as saying when you purchase starbound, you get everything. Full stop. I think the DLC mentioned here merely refers to content that is downloaded. Not something you have to pay for outside of the cost of purchasing the game.

WoxandWarf, Tom Baker, Rookee and 3 others like this.
  12. DLC madness, it can exist for extra stuff, but games like Starbound or Terraria are some never-ending update till the team stops working on the game, adding content in regular updates for free... I even can't imagine "Starbound 2" unless it's a radical change... The actual game with updates depending of the team level of dedication can reach awesome stuff. :D

Mukin likes this.
  13. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

DLC is a skewed word in the modern gaming community. Paid DLC is the stuff you buy while patches for items that are added to the game later are still DLC because you have to download. No microtransactions guys, just super bulky content updates.

14. Gaikang

That one I do remember. Regardless, it is a bad move to have paid for DLC for a game like this, and will likely reflect horribly on the game and developers. I could maybe see charging for the story service though, if the added content was in the end available to everyone, and what they were actually charging for was the developer presented event. Which kind of sounds to be the case, and hopefully is.

Well that's lazy. It took me like five minutes to get it all and upload it here.

15. pedpenguins

If you think so but i took the time to take the pics and upload them then make the post i could of been selfish and not shared at all. Your just ungrateful no matter what, obviously there's always gonna be a better version out there! but I'm uploading what I've got.
    /rant

16. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

Eh, I could see the DLC working out. Although I got to wonder if they could actually pump out quality story stuff once a week. :barefeet:

I'm pretty sure we are safe from being microtransactioned to death, simply because if they add an awesome sword of awesome + 5, a modder could go ahead and add it in for free anyway. By adding such extensive modding it'll be hard for them to be too evil with DLC. It sounds like the DLC will be exactly what DLC SHOULD be, stories and experiences.

17. Gaikang

What kind of cynic would I be if I was ever pleased with anything? For further example, I'm disappointed that the article implies we won't be able to accidentally burn our houses down.

Skarn likes this.
  18. like00111

like00111 Zero Gravity Genie

to do spoilers [*spoiler*] message goes here [*/spoiler*]
    Just remove the *'s

Gaikang and pedpenguins like this.
  19. pedpenguins

Thanks!

20. like00111

like00111 Zero Gravity Genie

What do you guys think about the updates coming like a tv show? I sorta like it not going to lie.