It's ingenious! It's Destructible Blocks!

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Attack_Fish, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Attack_Fish

Attack_Fish Phantasmal Quasar

Destructible blocks are blocks (or tiles) that crumble into dust once they have enough hits on them! Add these into the game and you too can join those handful of game developers who can honestly claim they have a destructible environment (let's forget about terraforming for a second here)!
    Think about the applications!
    It's great right!? PvP games will undoubtedly be twice as exciting when there are assassins crashing in through the ceiling or the walls! Please help me get these blocks into the game! Tell me what you think and also all the applications of such a wonderful block (that I can't think of right now).

2. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

...are you trolling? They already confirmed mining...

3. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

I think he means that huge momentum can crash through small walls of blocks.

Kroghammer, Maw, Axe Garian and 2 others like this.
  4. Attack_Fish

Momentum would be awesome! but to make it easier on the coding team I'm going to say shooting as in ranged damage will break the blocks.
    Breakable block would also add tons of value in adventure maps people create!

Kroghammer likes this.
  5. Space Sphere

Space Sphere Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Totally agree, being able to catapult through the enemy bases, taking them by suprise and destroying their fortifications would be fun.

Kroghammer, Supreme Suprise and Nike like this.
  6. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Explosive arrows in terraria were never explosive. In starbound they could. :rofl:

Emmanuel likes this.
  7. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Benny, can I buy some glowsticks?
    I want to try and smash through a wall with them.

8. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Five dollah. Past this line is on topic.
    -----------------------------------------

Maw likes this.
  9. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

No that was on topic
    would non-weapon thrown items be able to damage these blocks

10. Attack_Fish

Nope :p EDIT: Benny I like your avatar haha

11. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

This is practically a must. Of course you could mine your way through walls, but that is slow and dangerous against a good fortress. Now, REAL explosions breaking blocks based on their durability (like with the topic of procedurally created materials in mechanics) would be awesome. Also of course, burning them down, or melting them down with acid (imagine, some kind of grenade launcher throwing an acid grenade on a ceiling and having it melt down, HAH!).

Supreme Suprise likes this.
  12. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Maybe some unique blocks that also fall apart or down when you walk on them.

13. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

Things like dirt need to decay if there is too much flowing water or if there is a fire underneath of it. I approve of this thread.

Axe Garian and Emmanuel like this.
  14. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

One of the quests they are thinking of involves acid rain that can eat through blocks so yes

15. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

Water, rather than eating it like acid will, could just displace the dirt once it stops flowing. Though, the importance of fire corroding is limited to how extensive gravity will be on blocks(which will probably be not a lot and so trying destroy an enemy's base by burning the ground underneath probably won't exist)

16. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

I think that it would be awesome to send animals and captured NPCs flying with catapults and cannons.You would be able to destroy the enemy base with Penguins! :D

Nike and Drithyl like this.
  17. Drithyl

I think so too. PENGUIN WARS!

18. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Just hanging out on an ice planet with some buddies
    suddenly you are thunked in the back of the head
    you look down and see a penguin
    somebody yells "PENGUIN FIIIIIIGHT!"
    Hilarity ensues

19. Ecchiholic

Ecchiholic Cosmic Narwhal

It's fun until someone gets a beak in the eye.

On topic: I'd love to see blocks breaking when you hit them with enough momentum, but would't it also be annoying? Image yourself jumping from high above onto your base and it gets destroyed

Starheaven07 likes this.
  20. Drithyl

Annoying, but that's life! You wanna go down from 20 metres high? Use your gravity-boots! ^^