1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

In next patch commits: "Force pvp in x sector"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Raindrac, Jan 24, 2014.

?

Do you like this change?

1. Yes, it adds some difficulty to the sector

162 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. No, especially since it's forced

196 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. It doesn't matter for me, I only play single player

81 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Raindrac

Raindrac Existential Complex

But wait, that's not all! OmnipotentEntity commented on this on reddit!
    So, I'm here to ask... what do you guys think of this change? Good? Bad?

Commit list for those unaware: Linky Link | Line 326
    EDIT: Accidentally submitted thread too early, so some options from the poll are missing. Sorry. I meant to add an "Other reason" option, and plain "yes/no" options.

2. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Next commit message: "Sector X" renamed to "Wild West".

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I remember talk of tier X being solely PvP-based. Don't care about PvP, so I won't be there.

Sakaru, IndgoMom, Auchmithie and 4 others like this.
  4. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Well thats stupid. No wonder there was no discussion on it.

The more options the better. I don't like it, makes me not wanna play on random servers anymore.

Sakaru, Buckermann, Soli and 4 others like this.
  5. Startopia

Startopia Void-Bound Voyager

Bring it on says I, carebears need not apply!

Cuidea and Exxil3d like this.
  6. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

2D DayZ yay

Yarg, Aleta, Exxil3d and 2 others like this.
  7. Gildar

Gildar Seal Broken

i would not be into a forced PvP...the game is about freedom, or at least to me it is...however it should always be an option even from the beginning.

Yarg, Endless Rain, Ryunaker and 2 others like this.
  8. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Meh.
    Trying to lose me even more on Multiplayer?
    My sig has the aswer,GG but your a bit late.
    I already hate multiplayer m8s,I dont need for a full on PVP Sector X newsfeed to let me down even more.
    Also,who da Fack even though this was a good idea?

Thorin, Aeon and ___MeRliN___ like this.
  9. Kahzel

Kahzel Big Damn Hero

Bleh, more reasons to restrict multiplayer to a local server only for friends.

10. Mizaria

Mizaria Star Wrangler

Ok so, a game about freedom to do what you want forces people to do something they don't want to at the endzone?
    Neat I suppose, just means single player is the way to go then unless it is being locked out? I really don't get this unless it is a server toggle.

Sakaru and Dynafols like this.
  11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Would be one way of limitting PvP to players of an even footing; the biggest problem with PvP, is that it rarely goes on between players of similar ability, more often you get players decked out in the absolute best gear, ganking tier 1 newbies

By enabling it in the top tier, players are better matched

However, I'd still like to see a toggle. Personally I'd like to see it switched "on" in my game, but I respect there are some players who won't like it and for them no-PvP servers should be a thing

Hs413, Shadewarp, Tweak and 4 others like this.
  12. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Expect chaos. :viking:

Really though, it adds another dimension to multiplayer. If someone wants privacy in the X sector, there is basically infinite amount of planets where nobody will never find you. It's not a big problem.

However, if/when it escalates to a mindless slaughter the real fun begins better stay away.

Hs413 and murrrkle like this.
  13. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

This will discourage colonization of Sector X planets on public servers. There will be those that desire challenge, and this will provide that challenge. In the meantime, [Sector before X] planet villages will come out in force...

One way to look at this, there will definitely be a "Challenge" sector. The strongest materials have the strongest monsters: other players.

Saiph Azura and IneptGamer like this.
  14. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Serious question: So?

15. Mizaria

Mizaria Star Wrangler

Serious answer: Because sector X is currently about ~50% of the game and challenge.

Aeon likes this.
  16. Skelter

Skelter Zero Gravity Genie

With how many planet options there are, do you really expect to just randomly happen across people frequently enough for this to become a problem?

Exxil3d, TheSniperFan and Jbeetle like this.
  17. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Yea because they just threw all the unfinished/unbalanced stuff in it.

debugman18 likes this.
  18. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan Subatomic Cosmonaut

About damn time they added something to make the game more challenging later on.

The X Sector is a joke in its current form.

19. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Erm,that doesent realy mean anything,this is forcing players with crappy gear to fight agains Ferozium/Ipervium players.

By the time I got to sector X I realy had like just basic planitum armour and everything preety much oneshot me.

Imagine that but with smart,quicker,human players that want you dead and can do so with incredible ease.
    Thats what they are forcing you to go through in servers.

shinobi1027, Aeon and Freakscar like this.
  20. Cyberguy64

Cyberguy64 Pangalactic Porcupine

Exactly this. I wouldn't mind PVP in a controlled environment. However, Sector X is the last place PVP should be set up as permanent and uncontrolled.