1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

In next patch commits: "Force pvp in x sector"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Raindrac, Jan 24, 2014.

?

Do you like this change?

1. Yes, it adds some difficulty to the sector

162 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. No, especially since it's forced

196 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. It doesn't matter for me, I only play single player

81 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. liradarc

liradarc Subatomic Cosmonaut

If they were, then hardmode would be the only mode. You wouldn't be able to select normal. At best, you'd be able to select permadeath.

Also, worlds would be locked so you couldn't teleport away until you beat the other player(s).

2. kesvalk

kesvalk Cosmic Narwhal

give them time...

3. Syl

Syl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Or...if PVP wasn't always on, I could work with them without needing to team, not risking my ship at all.

4. liradarc

Still speaking in hypotheticals, of course. Because the actual occurrence of PvP resulting from this change is minimal to none. I actually player multiplayer all the time, and it hasn't affected my behavior in the least. If you're unable to find a community where you can't play with new members for fear of being randomly shot, then the issue is likely with your selection of communities or the new players you decide to group up with.

This is a case where apprehension of a particular situation far outweighs both its probability and the consequences of it occurring. You really don't lose anything even if someone shoots you, unless you decided to play a hardmode / permadeath character online with random strangers in Sector X - a series of decisions that only a thrill-seeking PvPer would make.

In short, it's a discussion driven by distaste of PvP in the abstract more than by any reference to what's actually happening in-game.

Cuidea likes this.
  5. liradarc

I'll bet you ten space bucks right now that neither of those possibilities will be implemented in vanilla Starbound.

6. kesvalk

kesvalk Cosmic Narwhal

and i seriously hope you're right.

7. Kozar927

Kozar927 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Wow alot of anger here... I play single player b/c I like to immerse my self in my own fantasy world and all human interaction breaks this. PVP no PVP whatever. Join the single player master race and enjoy the game your own way. We may be a dieing breed but as long as I am playing games single player will always have a following :)

Now if starbound creates ANYTHING at all that can only be obtained in mutiplayer. PVP or otherwise... we....will....have....a....problem :'(

8. Cuidea

Cuidea Orbital Explorer

The anger people have around pvp is very strange to me. I've seen a lot of people compare pvp "violence" to irl violence and I think they are doing a disservice to those who have experienced the latter and all that it entails. Anyway I kind of like the idea of having a wild west-like sector of space -- maybe a sort of unregulated zone, where chaotic, emergent, crazy gameplay can happen and it's not just duels between those who set themselves to pvp. Why not? It makes for a fuller, richer social experience in the game and it's something I was hoping there would be. Hell, all-out pvp servers would be nice to see, too. And I think all of this will evolve as the game comes closer to completion. A lot will change before then!

The way servers are set up right now, you have to make a series of decisions to get into a situation where pvp will be a problem for you. As others here have said, it's likely your own fault if you're building some massive tower of magnificence in Sector X on a server with people you cannot trust and it gets knocked down / taken over and you get PKd in the process (losing precious pixels, oh no! -- wait if you're in Sector X, you should probably just have a lot of gold and diamond saved up and stick it in the refinery when you need any moneys...) If you're playing like THAT on hardcore or permadeath mode... how are you not looking for a pvp encounter anyway?

I'm interested to see how this evolves. With all the weapons and techs that may come out, and all the intricacies that this game may take on, I think and I strongly hope that it can become more than a crafting/building game with spaceships.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  9. Exrobite

Exrobite Intergalactic Tourist

Renamed: 'Bandit Sector'

Sounds good

10. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

your positions do not make sense to me. it seems to me that you are the exact type of player that you are complaining about, only ideologically inverted. in your last two posts i have gathered that you are indeed an aggressive and competitive person. any type of "conflict" imagery turns you off, however. you have admitted and then failed to refute the point that you are not above spreading lies about someone you "hate".

do you not realize that your "test yourself" sentence means: "i like to only compete against myself in my own scoring system"?

i do not think counterstrike a fair example of anything pvp - it is a FPS with only players. you might as well use the comparison of pong instead, for how much it relates to the subject at hand. you give the the feeling that you enjoy the things that usually lead to pvp, but dislike having to face consequences for your words and actions.

would the pvp be better if instead of killing you to death, i orated at you until your argument bar was at 0, forcing you to respawn out of shame?

finally, you should not be feeling any kind of depression or guilt over actions taken in a video game. when you do, it's time to take a deep breath and go read a book. if you want to be depressed: go watch the news.

Cuidea likes this.