1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

improving performance?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Skip, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Skip

Skip Void-Bound Voyager

just wondering what are some things i can do to improve my performance running starbound?
    or does my computer just suck? >_<
    cant even get through a fight without lagging to death

2. incandeza

incandeza Astral Cartographer

my PC isn't great, but it has run games that are much more taxing than Starbound without a problem

when I try to play it's like an interactive slideshow

3. Merundy

Merundy Void-Bound Voyager

Decreasing the resolution has helped me. I play on 1024 x 768 and play at a pretty good frame rate.

4. Liraxus

Liraxus Void-Bound Voyager

I think that Starbound is in need of a bit more optimization, if anything, I believe that the developers should focus on optimizing Starbound for better framerate first before adding more content.

5. TrueElement

TrueElement Aquatic Astronaut

Agreed 100%

6. Skip

Skip Void-Bound Voyager

I figured I wasn't the only one but I wanted to make sure. I heard some people say that it runs nicely for them.

7. jollyrotten

jollyrotten Master Chief

nope, high end pc and runs at constant 10fps

Zevrok, lkuekul and sρooκs like this.
  8. Muffinsforever

Muffinsforever Void-Bound Voyager

The main issue is that it is running on one cpu thread, I found this base with robots and cool looking stuff, I get anywhere near it and its 5 fps, unplayable; similar issues with more than 3 mobs on a screen.

Booko likes this.
  9. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

The game runs on one core?
    If so, the devs need to stop what they're doing, and optimize for multiple cores. This was a huge problem in terraria. My brother was unable to host servers because of his low power per core.

10. Skip

Skip Void-Bound Voyager

incandeza likes this.
  11. Muffinsforever

Muffinsforever Void-Bound Voyager

I alt tabbed to see the issue, I was maxing out on only one core; RAM wasn't getting as much use as I thought it would... I dread actual MP with this kind of thing, is it even possible?

12. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

CPUs have multiple cores, it's almost stupid not to use them all.

13. incandeza

14. incandeza

going to finally play more of the game now

bumping one last time before i go - that steam registry thing is bizarre but it worked for me

15. Skip

Skip Void-Bound Voyager

yeah, i still get spikes here and there but its at least playable now =)

16. Etathan

Etathan Orbital Explorer

So when I try to play it wont go past the chucklefish logo. it crashes right after that.

17. Andinicus

Andinicus Big Damn Hero

From what I heard, you just have to wait a while then the game will start.

Etathan likes this.
  18. Skip

Skip Void-Bound Voyager

that's not true. freezing at chucklefish logo is a very common problem. Devs said they are working on it. Think it has something to do with windows xp or something

19. skyguy

skyguy Space Spelunker

I tried this fix but am still having no luck with the quality of this game.
    I have installed it on my laptop and my desktop the latter of which is VASTLY more powerful and the game runs equally poor on both machines.
    Is anyone else experiencing this?

20. JohnnyKill

JohnnyKill Astral Cartographer

I just posted this some where els on the forums trying to help the windows xp players >.< But this is useful for you guys to
    You know that steam is asking alot of Memory making a big amount of fps lag on the games so I learned to do this to steam,
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" /low -silent
    It makes him in low priority and -silent suppresses the dialog box that opens when you start steam,
    OO and right click the game going to properties of a game, there it says enable steam cloud turn that off and its gives you like 43K In memory