1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

improving performance?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Skip, Dec 5, 2013.

1. ThisIsGoobly

ThisIsGoobly Phantasmal Quasar

If you guys paid any attention you would realise that Chucklefish said that this first stage of beta won't be optimised much and it won't be very stable. They said that if you want a more stable game then you should wait till at least the next stage of beta, they never claimed that the game wouldn't have fps drops frequently for some people but here you guys are complaining.

2. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

The thread is about making SB run faster. This thread is not about complaining about optimization.

MrHiggle and ReverendBonobo like this.
  3. ReverendBonobo

ReverendBonobo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Most of the posts in this thread are discussing ideas on how to get better performance out of the game in its current state.

gameboytj and cyberspyXD like this.
  4. shakey2

shakey2 Cosmic Narwhal

Welcome to early access games, those games are terrible comparisons because they are all finished products and half of them are MMOs. This isn't an MMO so don't compare it to one.

5. ThisIsGoobly

ThisIsGoobly Phantasmal Quasar

Read through a bunch of the comments in this thread, they mention that Starbound is so poorly optimised and it should be something that needs to be fixed quickly.

6. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Read the OPs post. He just wants to know how to make SB run faster.

ReverendBonobo likes this.
  7. Bert John

Bert John Big Damn Hero

8. lkuekul

lkuekul Space Spelunker

Mine run perfect at bases and everything next an fps drop and then i had one day were everything just started running awful (Rust etc) and now i cant even go near a base

9. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

well, it seems kind of counter-productive to ask people to test a game that can't really run that well on their computers, doesn't it?

10. Bert John

Bert John Big Damn Hero

Sounds like your gpu may have broke, take it in, see what they say.

11. cplong

cplong Void-Bound Voyager

ive tried numerous things to help with the framerate isssue, everything steam and starbound related is run as admin, and i disabled compatibility mode, it was running fine at full resolution with spikes almost nonexistent now today it just spikes every few seconds, anybody got any ideas that could help me out :/ id appreciate it

12. Booko

Booko Poptop Tamer

This!! 1000x this! I have experienced this as well, and it makes it very hard to go through the base and retrieve any juicy tidbits within when in one frame you are in mid-jump, and in the next you are in a lava pool.

13. Skip

Skip Void-Bound Voyager

Yea, i wasn't complaining, i just thought the thread could be a good place to find some tips to "improve" performance, if there were any. I had no expectations that the game would run perfect.
    Luckily i got a few good tips for at the time that help my game play a lot. :up:

14. XtremeNinja45

XtremeNinja45 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Guys i had a problem on terraria where running steam and the Steam Overlay would lag the game and cause the "Slow Motion Effect

My suggestion is to turn the Steam overlay off since you dont really need it for starbound.

To Do This just open steam and right click starbound then click properties and find an option called

Enable steam community ingame
    And turn it off

Or try running it on it's own by going into properties again and find

Browse local files and click it

Then create a shortcut for

Starbound.exe and starbound_opengl

And drag it to the desktop. And try those. These methods are Very basic but it helped with starbound slightly but as you should know the game hasn't been optimised.

15. Bert John

Bert John Big Damn Hero

Aswell if you REALLY need FPS, i do have a mod made that improves framerate by about 15-25
    [Look up a few post's to see]

16. squirrel_killer-

squirrel_killer- Sandwich Man

I never have performance issues, but I play using OpenGL (my video card prefers OpenGL graphics over Directx) I suggest trying that, I also found with my 4000 series radeon card in my little laptop I get a average FPS of about 30-60 depending on how much is on the screen.

17. Sectrix

Sectrix Phantasmal Quasar

Running the game on full screen has helped performance for me.

Our server also runs the Ubuntu server distro, which seemed to help performance over using the desktop distro.

Finally, upgrading my ageing network equipment helped a bit as well.

All these were more or less minor improvements -- the big gains will happen when they optimize.

18. Tux1342

Tux1342 Big Damn Hero

After spending my whole life searching for the answer I finally found it, in the starbound.config change the full screen resolution line to this: "fullscreenResolution" : [ 10, 10 ], Then play it full screen

Also if you don't mind playing the game in slow motion, change the max frame skip to 1.

19. MrHiggle

MrHiggle Existential Complex

Well, it is poorly optimized, for now. So I guess they aren't wrong?

20. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

Turning steam overlay off helped me.