1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How much Terraria will be in StarBound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Spike, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoldierMorty

SoldierMorty Big Damn Hero

Uh, am I looking at this phrasing differently than everyone? He said it's ALMOST LIKE a successor, not a direct successor. But anyways, I share similar sentiments with the majority that's been said in this thread. Hak's right on the dot, and Pent's probably not too far behind even though it's expected. It was kinda the same thing with FFT and Tactics Ogre, where a portion of the fan base accused the other game of being some clone. So somewhere in the vast world there's gonna be at least ONE guy who genuinely thinks Starbound will be a rip-off of Minecraft, and blah, blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah.

Hakjabtholah likes this.
  2. Supersonic

Supersonic Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know if it's just people reacting without thinking to these kind of questions, or being overly defensive to the accusations that they are similar, but like Attribule said the two games are much alike. Sure there will many differences to the games and they are in no way tied to each other (other than Tiy), but the very foundation of the entire game and how it's played is fashioned much after the way Terraria played (although very much refined) which is akin to Minecraft which is akin to Infiniminer etc etc, and this is in no means a bad thing. Starbound is like these games to a degree but it's the differences that make them what they are. Just because Starcraft is an RTS doesn't mean it's a sequel to Empire Earth, but you can compare the two because they are very similar, because they are in the same genre, RTS. Starbound and games "like it" are almost in a category of "Adventure, Mining, Sandbox".

I'm excited for Starbound because of how awesome Terraria was and how well it played.

Comparing the games is not like comparing piece of candy to a race car, they are very close to each other and can be compared. Much like how you could compare Minecraft to Terraria, the big difference being they were 3D and 2D. they played a lot the same, and had the exact same concept, digging underground, getting ore, making items, and being a sandbox game. Same type of comparison can be made with Infiniminer and Minecraft, it's just easier to "see" cause they are visually similar, just because they don't look exactly the same doesn't mean the concept and game can't be compared. Unlike comparing Starcraft 2 to CoD MW3 which are totally different.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off like a jerk here, I'm really not trying to (please read this is a normal calm tone lol) but I'm a bit tired of people freaking out when others compare the game to Terraria and say "THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!!". If the parallel wasn't so obvious and possible and comparing Terraria to Starbound was virtually the same as comparing it to CoD MW3 (which a lot of people are making it out to seem like) then you would see people doing that too, but their not, their comparing it to a game that is fundamentally close to it, very close.

I dunno how to sum up TL;DR for people so you'll just have to read it all lol, it's really not that long of a read.

Tell me what you think, do I have a point? Did I make myself clear enough? Or am I just crazy lol?

M C, Marak and Vaughn like this.
  3. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

I'm not yelling "THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!!", but I don't enjoy seeing people taking the easy route and just looking for a comparison and not looking at the game for what it is.
    Yes, they are Starbound is appearing to be very similar to Terraria, just look at the planet screenshots. They look almost like the same game except with a slightly different art style and setting.

-- But they aren't, Starbound's so different to that. Everything's procedural, you have a universe of planets to explore, you have a combat system that looks sweet and deep, you have the more scientific theme to research creatures and maybe even keep them as pets. The sky's not the limit, the universe of possibilities is and that's why I don't like the comparisons.
    </rant>

4. Vaughn

Vaughn Void-Bound Voyager

They are very similar indeed, but at the same time quite different. I imagine that Starbound won't have things like Terraria's biomes and will have things that Terraria didn't like....well, lots. It's not a bad thing to say they are similar. I loved Terraria. Anything even close to it is probably going to be a respectable game. From what we've seen, Starbound is going to rock face. We shouldn't be fighting about similarities and differences. We should be rejoicing about a shared interest that's as completely rad-ass as Starbound. I'm with Supersonic tho if it comes down to an apocalyptic war about it. Being as they're the same genre, they can and will be compared to each other.

M C and Supersonic like this.
  5. Miniman

Miniman Void-Bound Voyager

Tiy can't pretend that if he had started this project before becoming involved in the huge success of terraria, this game would look very different.

Reading the list of what is confirmed for the game, and reading this post in the terraris dev blog:
    http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/moving-forward.15820/

You can start to see some...similarities :p
    BUt no way is this a bad thing, Terraria did a lot right, and hopefully starbound will that this onboard, whilst doing a lot of new thing right as well!

SoldierMorty and Supersonic like this.
  6. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Yeah but 99% people who are here came from terraria. So it can make sense.

OT: It's gonna have 2D style stuff. Tiles and mobs. And NPCs.

7. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Around 27% of Starbound will be made of Terraria.
    35% new content, 12% ammonia and 26% of Tiy's flesh.

Hakjabtholah likes this.
  8. Marak

Marak Big Damn Hero

Well said. That right there is the main reason I'm (mostly) lurking on these forums and not clinging to the (now mostly pointless) TerrariaOnline forums.

Will it be like Terraria? In some ways, I'm sure it will be.

The question is, why does that question always carry a negative connotation?

If we can't get more "actual" Terraria, I'll take a game that takes some of the same elements and plans on improving them, while adding other interesting things to the mix.

Sounds good to me. Can't wait.

9. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

Lets not get lost in the tall grass.

Will the game's style be similar? Probably. If you played Terraria you will probably have a big leg up on the controls and some mechanics. But, is the game concept different? from what I have read, yes, this game is not about building a base exploring your map and fighting bosses. That was the concept that powered Terraria. This game is going to be much more about exploring different worlds instead of a single world or collection of worlds that are all similar. (that was one downside to terraria, all the worlds felt similar)

10. Dispersion

Dispersion Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]

Ghostar, Aviakio, M C and 4 others like this.
  11. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

You couldn't be more completely wrong. Starbound has absolutely nothing to do with Terraria. They are completely different games, by completely different companies. There will not BE anything from Terraria in Starbound.

12. Loki ISP

Loki ISP Human-Cyborg Relations

It is only a successor inasmuch as they share a common dev and that a large part of the current community is coming from Terraria.

It is perfectly legitimate to ponder similarities and differences between the games (just like MC vs Terraria or Super Metroid vs SOTN, etc.)...but direct lifts like "will the dryad be in SB" - yeah, that is EXCEEDINGLY unlikely to happen.

Just pointing out that completely shutting down all comparisons (not that anyone is advocating that) on a gameplay front may not be wise. Human beings tend to process new information through the lens of past experiences.

That said, I agree that the direct lift from Terraria question is pretty silly - I would hope and suspect Tiy would like to build on, yet separate himself above and beyond his past collaborative success.

This will only serve to benefit each and every one of us here.

Cheers!

13. Gytix

Gytix Tentacle Wrangler

Of course there will, most of Starbound is inspired by Terraria in some way...
    If it wasn't then that would be a huge mistake on the developers part as Terraria is a great game and to not take some ideas from it would be a mistake.

14. LadyAijou

Again, with the assumptions. This game is NOT inspired by Terraria. If you talk to Tiy, he will tell you it's inspired by some of the greatest games there ARE. Including Borerlands, Metroid, Castlevania, and quite a few others. Yes, there is a sandbox element to the game, but this is an exploration based space adventure, and its not going to be a Terraria clone.

15. Gytix

Gytix Tentacle Wrangler

@LadyAijou

To say it isn't inspired by Terraria is unfounded really, just at a glance it's easy to see similarities between the two; I don't see why people are so against Starbound being anyway related to Terraria when it obviously is.

Who said it's a Terraria clone? Being inspired doesn't necessarily mean to take aspects of one thing and re-use it. Artistic inspiration could come into play as making Terraria gave Tiy the platform to start Starbound and for him not to be inspired by Terraria's success and overall enjoyability would be a huge mistake on his part.

16. LadyAijou

What we're "against" is the refusal on the part of Terraria fans to understand that this is in fact, a completely unique game, and not just more of the same. The "similarities" stop at both games being 2D, a vague style similarity, because Tiy is doing the art, and the presence of the ability to mine/build. Beyond that, Starbound can't even be called a "sandbox game." It features a full quest line, deep combat mechanics, infinite weapons, armor, plants, mobs, and items, as well as an infinite universe to explore. I don't see how that makes it the same as a game where you get 1 EXTREMELY limited map, where the resources are exhausted in less than a day on multiplayer, and with only a handful of mobs, weapons, items, or armor. Instead of insisting that Starbound is Terraria fanservice, look at the revealed information about this game, and see that it stands on its own merit.

17. Loki ISP

Loki ISP Human-Cyborg Relations

Castlevania SOTN borrowed heavily from Metroid...but it is very much it's own game and series. Such could be the case here. Inspired by is not the same as "exactly the same". I would certainly hope that we would all be inspired and build on our past successes. Whether that is direct lifts or learning what works and what doesn't, experience guides us forward. That applies to devs as well as any of us.

Clearly, SB is its own thing and should stand on its own merits...but to say it is in no way informed in an experiential sense by the past games the devs worked on seems myopic. Perhaps SB will gave distinct differences because the devs did NOT like something in a particular game...that is also inspiration.

I also don't understand the harsh tone/stance given to a perfectly reasonable line of inquiry (again, not talking about direct lifts from any game...just general mechanics, etc)

Again, just my two cents with no harm intended.

Cheers! :)

18. LadyAijou

I am not trying to be harsh, I just simply can't understand the desperation here for this game to be "Terraria 2.0." People can't seem to face the fact that a different company is doing Starbound, that the engine/coding for this game has been from scratch, and that the developers on this project don't NEED to borrow from anything else to make this a huge success.

19. Gytix

Gytix Tentacle Wrangler

Why do you assume I'm a Terraria fan?
    Starbound is a far better game than terraria from what I've seen and it's doesn't encorporate the same gameplay but my argument is that it is still inspired by Terraria, maybe not in the gameplay aspect but certainly in many other aspects were Terraria influenced the creation and infact a lot of the hype that now surrounds Starbound.

Of course Starbound in it's own right is a brilliant game that doesn't need to be inspired or influenced by any other game but it is and it isn't a bad thing at all for something to be inspired by something else. If and I'm not saying it is, Starbound was directly influenced by Terraria that would only mean it's pushing its self to be better and different in every way.

20. LadyAijou

What Tiy is doing here is sheer magic. They're looking at everything that a gamer could ever dream of, and wrapping it together into a seemless work of brilliance. When you take so many styles of gameplay, and so many elements of so MANY different kinds of games, in effect you create a NEW genre. It becomes something where you can't point to it and say, "They did this because of that." It's no longer cause and effect, its more like a revolution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.