1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How much Terraria will be in StarBound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Spike, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike

Spike Supernova

I understand that Starbound is almost like a successor to the hit game Terraria. So how much Terraria element will be in Starbound? I'm not assuming having Terraria elements in Starbound would be a bad thing, if implemented correctly.

2. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

It's not a successor. Different game.
    The only similarity on the developer side of things is that Tiy worked on Terraria.

You're kind of asking a question similar to 'How much cabbage is in an apple?'.

M C, Zman12380, sasquatchjc and 5 others like this.
  3. Яetrospekt

Яetrospekt Pangalactic Porcupine

My thoughs excatly.

4. Matsu

Matsu Subatomic Cosmonaut

None. Terraria is not a prequel to Starbound, Starbound is not a sequel to Terraria. They are two different games, made by two separate groups with two separate ideas and goals.

5. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

There will definitely be similar elements of gameplay though, sequel or not.

M C, Zman12380, Marak and 3 others like this.
  6. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

Yes definitely, like how they're both 2d, you can build and dig, you can explore and find new things.

M C and SuperMann like this.
  7. StarKiller

StarKiller Phantasmal Quasar

I'd like to see some references to Terraria, or even an honorable mention. I mean, I don't want too much Terraria, but it's apparent that it did play a big role in the design of the game. Just bigger in scope and size.

8. knarfc

knarfc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Probably a few references, in the lighting demo, you could see the resemblence with Terraria.

9. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Some one get this guy a metal. That sums it up completely.

10. Earic Lodger

Earic Lodger Starship Captain

It's a spiritual successor, so there will be similar elements of Terraria in Starbound.
    But just how similar is still to be shown.

11. Hakjabtholah

Hakjabtholah Void-Bound Voyager

I believe that there will be as much in common between the two as you would find in any game that happens to fall under both of the 2-D and Sandbox genres.

Zellman likes this.
  12. Pentarctagon

So basically someone will come along and say its a minecraft clone?

M C, Marak and SuperMann like this.
  13. Hakjabtholah

What I'm saying is it's not the same game except for the fact that it falls under the same genres, which is why it's silly to call it a successor of Terraria.

14. Attribule

Attribule Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Actually, the game is quite similar, most likely because of Tiy.

Starbound might not be an actual successor, but it contains ideas that came from the work on Terraria. Nobody can really deny this. That doesn't mean the game is a ''clone'' though, but there are a fair amount of similarities for sure. People are used to others comparing games that aren't similar, so in cases like this they still think people are comparing total opposites even when they aren't total opposites.

I've played many MMOs for example that had many similarities as another game, because they shared some of the same team. Similarities like art, features, etc.

Tiy was one of the brains behind Terraria, and is one of the brains behind Starbound. Simply looking at screen shots and the lighting demo video, you can see the similarities in the games, but obviously Starbound offers different things like I said previously.

Supersonic and Earic Lodger like this.
  15. Pentarctagon

That was kind of the joke...

16. Hakjabtholah

Oh sorry, I didn't catch your internet sarcasm the first time, my bad. :up:

17. DeusExel

DeusExel Big Damn Hero

I just hope that there will be some eastereggs from Terraria or else. I like eastereggs cuz they they... are eastereggs .

18. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

As a person who spent over 100 hours playing Terraria, I hope that Starbound can capture the engaging 2-D gameplay and improve on it.

Off-Topic: One thing I definitely don't want to see taken from Terraria: The need to grind bosses for resources. ugh.

19. Earic Lodger

Earic Lodger Starship Captain

2 Easter eggs that i can think of:
    1. The game mentions your character from Terraria (IE A Terrarian of great power)
    2. Muramasa (Tooltip: This weapon originated from feudal japan from a legendary samurai, but was recently passed down to the Fabled Terrarian).
    Or atleast something along those lines, there's nothing i like more than hearing my great deeds.

20. Jenkinz

Jenkinz Phantasmal Quasar

Exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.