How ''magic'' would fit

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by DevilForce, Jun 15, 2012.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Yes! i like it!

41.1%
  2. No, i dont like it.

45.2%
  3. I dont care.

13.7%
  1. DevilForce

DevilForce Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello, this was posted on another thread, but i wanted to repost this so the devs and other fans could see it. So many people think that magic fits in this game and other doesn't. So i came up with this idea: you travel to an abandoned/dead, with no life forms only ruins of old cities on it. So you start to investigate it and find some kind of a scroll or a piece of paper with strange writings on it, witch you have no idea what it is so you take it to your lab. You research it and find out that this is a page of a spell (ex. fireball) from a book of magic ( piece of paper) or a part of an old wizard's spell collection (read EDIT 2) (scroll) . After that, you build some kind of a skeletal/mechanical arm, put it on and now you can create a fireball in your palm and throw it at the penguin's face or use it like a flamethrower i don't know. So, what do you think?
    P.S English is not my native language so if there are any mistakes, sorry about that :D
    Have a nice day!
    EDIT:​
    What am i suggesting is, i just want that there would be weapons that act and look like magic but aren't and doesn't use mana for it, not just lasers and phaseblades that look magical.​
    Like instead of an ice bolt you make like special ice crystals that when you shoot with a special weapon and you hit a solid or a liquid (but not hot ex. lava, fire creatures) surface it will spread and paralyze the enemy for x seconds, and if used on water it won't turn the whole water into ice, it will just spread a little to make a step. Because the weapon would be cold, it could do a negative like if you wield it you are slower and if you wield it for 10 seconds you will lose 5 hp. like that. I don't care if its not magic, just look like magic except you don't cast it but shoot it from whatever weapon.​

NEW EDIT2: So Bombzero suggested to change the finding a scroll crap in to there was a scientific group who was researching elemental weapons, these weapons harness different types of matter and energy to attack. So we changed the backstory into a non-magical and to fit more in to a sci-fi genre.​

/\ this guy needs a medal

This is what I have in mind. Some stuff above the quote might be outdated :p

Mitroll, Drayden150, Aer_ and 2 others like this.
  2. Admiral Obvious

Admiral Obvious Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I don't particularly like it, i'd like the scroll to show you how to build some ancient secret weapon instead. It would be a little unbalanced if once one person reads the scroll and their palms turn into flamethrowers.

The Corrupted [ITA] and Keeper like this.
  3. DevilForce

LOL No! your hand wouldn't turn into a flamethrower! and it doesn't happen as soon as you read it, you have to analyze it, build the arm with some rare material's not like 8 stone and 5 wood no. Actually building a weapon is good too. Scratch the ''use it like a flamethrower'' idea :)

4. ThrehserMaw

ThrehserMaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think magic fits in a game with advanced technology weapons , but It wouldn't be the focus of the game and I know that some people would like so I don't really care.

5. DevilForce

this isn't that kind of a magic like in terraria. you build your own machines that act like turrets, a weapon or as i said above. You will use advanced technology to create and shoot the fireball. The mechanical arm as i said earlier could collect gas from the air, heat it up and release a flaming plasma ball in your palm. See? this isnt like in skyrim, you hold a fireball in your bare hand and use it like a flamethrower, this is using magic in a technological way. Don't you agree with me?

Zet0r likes this.
  6. Daston

Daston Space Penguin Leader

If we are going to shoot fireballs anyway why bother to call it magic if we know that it is high-energy plasma? Ancients called it magic because they didnt understand it. Now we understand it so we call it science.

Matt NA, Dagorran, Shippo and 6 others like this.
  7. DevilForce

mate, you didn't made any sense at all. only made my brain hurt. the ex. mechanical arm you create, you wont call it magic, you will call it like... HeatArm or something. The scrolls we will find will act like a spell, you will analyze it, research it, take it to some scientist and he will try to figure it out how to use it without mana! I was trying to make it so that the ones who like magic and the ones who don't like to shoot fireballs in a sci-fi game would like it!!!!!!!!!! the magic word in the title is in quotation marks for a reason! i am not suggesting adding mana to use the ex. mechanical arm!

8. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

I don't think we really need to forcefully including spellcasting being available to the players. That being said, I also would like to point out that both preternatural and supernatural abilities as well as practically-appliable mysticism or at least theories behind psychic abilities very much fit sci-fi genre as portrayed by quite many commonly regarded as succesful productions (Ubik? Warhammer 40 000? Star Wars? 'Cat' series by Joan D. Vinge? Dune? Mass Effect? Star Trek? Farscape? Hell, Matrix to an extend? I can keep on going, but that should be enough to make one realize how well can such thing work if dosage and ties with the universe are well-adjusted). Still, I'd rather see magic as a fluff, maybe, just maybe some minor, mostly RP-wise abilities of some creatures, certainly a nice background for locations.

Actually, I don't think that any real ancient culture regarded shooting fireballs much. Those are a creation for the sake of RPGs. At the same time, IRL, despite technological advances there are occult (including perfectly legal, established worldwide) organizations to this day as well as there are scientists who take the notion of psychic phenomena, existence of God and other mystical forces into consideration. At the same time no one has to say magic becoming science has always make it less magical. In the end, belief in anything beyond our currently known material world is a personal freedom and choice and I wouldn't find it unfitting if there would be a space-faring, highly technologically advanced species still possessing a culture permeated by mysticism and rituals associated with their beliefs as well as one where any spiritual topic would be regarded as a load of worthless lies.

Kickball1237 likes this.
  9. DevilForce

I get the feeling that people didn't even read what i said, they just saw the title and said no.

Kickball1237 likes this.
  10. DevilForce

who said anything about spellcasting?

11. Witness

You did. Wearable mechanical arm or not, it's still about some way of harnessing magical energy to perform magical attacks. Also, there actually was something like this as far as ideas go.

12. DevilForce

Mate, the mechanical arm isn't magical! The arm collects gas, heats it up and releases it! and that isn't spellcasting. Also it doesn't have to be only the arm you can build from those scrolls. It can be a gun that shoots an ice shard witch quickly spreads when it touches an enemy or a liquid that isn't hot (lava) and paralyzes him for 1 sec from an ice shard scroll, or a turret that shoots out a blizzard witch turns like 3 enemies in a row into ice for x seconds (would be great for traps) but would be expensive to build it. What is magical about this? You don't use the scroll to cast it. How couldn't this fit in the game?

13. Witness

1. How it would be not based on harnessing of some sort of magic if the very basis suggested for it's construction is honest-to-god:
    ...and not even technical design with quirky style? This is the bit I have problem with.

2. I didn't say that idea of just accessories utilizing different attacks wouldn't fit the game - did you per chance read the topic I've linked which seems to be exactly what you have in mind?

14. DevilForce

Not all of it but yeah i have read the topic and it isn't the same as mine. I would've thought about the electric gauntlet the same way as he did but nothing else except maybe for the HeatArm (that is how i am going to call it) And please don't speak so scientifically because i don't understand every word I'm not from England or America.

15. DevilForce

Because you take the scroll you find to a scientist, he researches it and tries to think how to use it without mana and gives you the blueprints for it.

16. Zentennen

Zentennen Void-Bound Voyager

I'd like magic, I don't see why we shouldn't have a magic playstyle. Honestly, there are advanced weapons but that doesn't mean magic couldn't work. Magic can also easily explain certain very unrealistic things in the game, just blame it on magic.

I don't know how this would work but I don't mind it. As long as there is some sort of way to play a mage I don't mind how I get spells.

17. DevilForce

Thanks mate!:mwahaha:

18. Witness

I'd presume that retrofitting some design to work on a completely different basis, system and laws would be like a computer which runs on apple jelly - maybe possible but really affecting suspension of disbelief as that scientist, if he'd be able to achieve such thing, probably would also know how to build the gadget you require far more easily if he wouldn't have to take any mystical writings into consideration.

19. DevilForce

then maybe it would take a lot of time for the scientists to analyze and research it. And of course that wouldn't be for free. Maybe to analyze it, you scientists ask you to go to different world and to find different races that know what this writing is!

20. Witness

I meant that if the whole mechanism for some item and all underlying principles regarding it's works would have to be substituted you can as well do it exactly as well if not better without following any writing whatsoever so in the given example the scroll/page/whatever wouldn't help in creation of the item as make it even harder than if you'd just tell the scientist you want a device covering an arm that can shoot flame and let him mount a damn flamethrower on it rather than trying to devise something that revolves around using mana but doesn't :p

Nor am I actually but sure, do quote and ask when you won't be able to understand something, I'll try to help, rephrase what I wrote etc.