How ''magic'' would fit

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by DevilForce, Jun 15, 2012.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Yes! i like it!

41.1%
  2. No, i dont like it.

45.2%
  3. I dont care.

13.7%
  1. Oricalcum

Oricalcum Ketchup Robot

If this is a sci-fy game... why wont magic fit in?

2. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Because the developers said they weren't putting magic in the game.

3. Oricalcum

Oricalcum Ketchup Robot

Oh, I think I missed this, may I have a link to your source?

4. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

It's common knowledge, so it'll take me a bit to find the exact source, I'll be back in a minute.

5. Oricalcum

Oricalcum Ketchup Robot

Ok, thanks, I'll keep checking then.

6. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

This is from February 24th, meaning this knowledge has been around as long as this forum has. You'll have to find the exact post on your own, it's been way too long for me to track down a definite source in a few minutes.

7. DevilForce

DevilForce Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Magic is when you use mana to shoot the fireball. And what am i suggesting doesn't use mana.

8. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Okay, let's put the "this magic is totally fine because it doesn't use mana" idea to the side for now and try a different approach to get my point across.

In the game, magic does not exist. Period. This game is not about magic, it is about space. And rockets. and science. This is a design decision by the developers, and common knowledge. They aren't going to implement an obvious workaround, because they don't want to include those kinds of attacks.

9. DevilForce

Mate, saying page of a spell from a book of magic from an old wizard's spell collection is a frikkin' backstory for it that happened long long long long time ago and that wizard is obviously dead and there wouldn't be any interaction with him. If it would be without the backstory, it would sound like this: you go on a dead planet, find a piece of paper that says something about a spell (after you analyze it) and then build something that uses the spell without mana.

10. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

You're missing the point, implying magic exists at all is wrong for this genre.

11. DevilForce

Mate, the only thing magical or related to magic is the backstory. Everything you do with the scroll, everything you build with it isn't magic!
    magic won't exist in this game except only in the background. Do you understand NOW?

12. Run Juan Run

Run Juan Run Big Damn Hero

i strongly dislike this!
    whats next! elves?
    its a sci fi game, whick stands for SCIENCE magic is not real therefore its not science :mad:

13. DevilForce

actually elves are gonna be in the game.
    on topic, you don't understand: the only MAGICAL thing is the scroll and the background!!!!! What you use, what you build that uses the content of the scroll DOESN'T USE MANA and therefore IT ISN'T MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fireball:

14. Bombzero

Bombzero Giant Laser Beams

so DevilForce, why are you against having it not be an old magical scroll, and instead being a flamethrower, or a gun that shoots ice shards, or whatever else from a standard engineering schematic?

how bout this man. there was a scientific group who was researching elemental weapons, these weapons harness different types of matter and energy to attack.

in example:
    ice shard cannon.
    plasma cannon.
    a 're-animator' that uses nanomachines to mobilize corpses.
    etc etc.

so, with this idea, you have brought 'magic' into the game, with no references whatsoever to actual magic. no scrolls. no ancient stories of wizards. and everyone can be happy.

(btw, people have no problem with the items themselves, its just that you are saying 'magic-like without adding magic to the game', and turning around and talking about scrolls, wizards, and occult stuff. aka magic.)

15. DevilForce

Mate, i don't actually care what weapon shoots stuff that originally comes from books and spell scrolls from other games, i just want that the stuff that comes from spells would come from guns and stuff. Ex terraria's crystal storm: instead of a book you could construct a minigun that shoots the crystals, it is a sci-fi game so you could add something like rubber (?) to the crystals so they could bounce off. Your idea is good too, but i think there will appear someone who doesn't like it. It would be good if we use your and mine idea together and instead of the scrolls you go with a group of scientists, but still build a heatarm that shoots a fireball and NOT a famethrower from gathered and heated gas.

16. Bombzero

Bombzero Giant Laser Beams

thats kinda what I meant by plasma cannon.

just base it in science a little bit and it fits in starbound, your entire idea was comprised of finding a magic scroll, and building a machine to do the same thing, the scroll is magic, in a sci-fi game.

17. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Guess what, it's not allowed to exist in the background either, otherwise there would be traces of it in the game. Like everyone else is saying, if you make it science instead you can do very similar things anyway, but within the lore of the game.

18. DevilForce

how it isn't allowed to exist in the background?? yes it is allowed! the medieval weapons that are from the same age as magic are gonna exist in the game so why not adding a tiny bit of it in the backstory that happened long time ago?

19. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Background is part of the setting, and setting is part of the game, ergo real magic cannot be part of the background. Sorry to rain on your parade.

I should probably point out that medieval weapons actually existed.

20. St Fonz

St Fonz Existential Complex

Devilforce I too am a magic lover, *shields face from incoming rocks* and I can see what your trying to achieve, but maybe leave it at that. You aren't really suggesting the idea so much as forcing it on people.

The Starbound community has spoken, "technology > magic" because "magic = nonexistent"