1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest character creator idea ever!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by jacksnight, Jan 11, 2013.

1. jacksnight

jacksnight Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OK is there anyway you could add this?

In the character creator next to the arrows show a number for each selection. So you would see something like...

<- -> 8
    <- -> 4
    <- -> 5
    <- -> 7

Each number makes that particular item in the creator whether it be a color hair style or pants. Then when we use the online creator we can just copy down the numbers and make it match our toon in game.

It would make it much easier for sure, but i don't know how hard it would be to put together in game.

2. Sir_Stampsalot

Sir_Stampsalot Space Hobo

It's a good suggestion, but wouldn't it fit better in, well, the Suggestions sub-forum :p

Sakaru and earneck like this.
  3. LulItsIan

LulItsIan Pangalactic Porcupine

Isn't that mainly for game suggestions though...? If anything, maybe feedback would be better since the character creator is on the forums.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  4. Sir_Stampsalot

Sir_Stampsalot Space Hobo

I suppose, but I imagine any changes made to the forum creator would also be made to the in-game one, so it's an either/or situation.

LulItsIan and Alanzer-DNA like this.
  5. Alanzer-DNA

Alanzer-DNA Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's not a bad idea, that's for sure.
    I had the same idea a few days ago, but I didn't make a thread about it.
    Anyway, I thought the numbers would fit better between the arrows. Like this:
    [​IMG]
    It would be a perfect improvement.

And by the way, I really also SUGGEST to move this thread to the Suggestions section.

jetsetdizzy, Rekalty, Sakaru and 5 others like this.
  6. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

This would definitely be an improvement but I think a grid selection system would be even better. Basically the panel that includes all of the adjustments would be replaced with a preview grid (with the full character preview staying visible up top of course.) Select which property you want to adjust from a tab list on the top, then the grid shows you a graphical preview of each option so you don't have to scroll through a long list to see each one. I feel like there's already too many options in some of the categories to comfortably sort through with a list. Something like this:

[​IMG]

7. It was stated that On-Line Char Creator could be not exactly the same as in-game one. So maybe that numbers will not match. :unsure:
    How about just save png file and try to re-create such appearance in the game later?

8. jacksnight

jacksnight Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Seems way to complicated.

9. "The only problem I have against this is that it's not the greatest character creator idea ever."

-Said no one ever

Sakaru, Giant Squid, Mianso and 7 others like this.
  10. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

How is it complicated? It's just a grid of options so it's easy to compare options at a glance without having to scroll through lists or remember numbers.

11. Agaras

Agaras Void-Bound Voyager

love it

12. NicoWaves

NicoWaves Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Great idea! I think it is also useful to see if you have already seen all of the hairstyles or clothing when you arrive at 1.

13. TrinityMoon

TrinityMoon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i wish the color option was like in terraria though so we could pick any color under the rainbow.

M C likes this.
  14. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

It's not a bad idea, but how about instead of having one number for each hairstyle / color / clothing displaying next to the selection- Tha' instead the numbers could be displayed beneath or above the selection?

<- ->'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''<- ->

08 - 04 - 05 - 07 - 01 - 14 - 56 - 10 - 02 - 01

I think that would look more awesome, and then you could copy the whole line of numbers from one bar.
    *Edited- Let's not forget the gender option and race option...

15. Roxie Stables

Roxie Stables Parsec Taste Tester

This idea. I really like this idea.
    Would make it A LOT easier for re-making characters on a future date or for people to make certain characters from other media then just giving the numbers to people so they can make them themselves.

16. Bolt

Bolt Cosmic Narwhal

This idea is awesome.

17. Pofinator

Pofinator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Could'nt there also be an option, when the game is released, to transfer characters made on the forums into the game?

Bolt likes this.
  18. Bolt

Bolt Cosmic Narwhal

You can make that a suggestion if you want...

19. Alanzer-DNA

Alanzer-DNA Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Anyway you should remember that the in-game character creator will have more stuff than the web character creator has right now.
    And even more options, supposedly.
    Therefore, it would be a bit pointless to make that kind of character transfer thingy: anyway is not that hard to make the same character.

blind sniper likes this.
  20. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

No! Its a terrible idea. I want to keep clicking the arrow button in the belief that there are endless possible choices...