1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest character creator idea ever!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by jacksnight, Jan 11, 2013.

1. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Eh. I don't even give a damn about Terraria, anyway. I played it all the way through, and at no point did I decide that it was all that fun. There was so much missing, so much potential, but it fell short. It felt very vapid and had little variation and personality compared to many good titles.... personal opinion of course.

2. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

I really like Terraria, though at some point it feels very grindy. Eg after the Skeletron fight (the first one) I always quit for a while because it got too boring. I'm guessing the fact that I don't know Terraria that well is a big factor.

3. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

I never felt the grind in Terraria because running around fighting monsters and exploring caves was so fun. It only got boring when I ran out of content.

4. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

I enjoyed it back when it was new, it was a sort of novel idea and a break from the norm that I was used to from Minecraft. Different kind of sandbox, mining, crafting, new items. That was cool. But I just got so bored... I took a huge break from it, tried to play it recently but it just wasn't fun. I was so sick of the handful of same-same map generation and boring biomes and gameplay. Then I went on to games that made me think like Dungeons of Dredmor, FTL, and XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Starbound is more my cup of tea than Terraria... sci-fi style with a great art style and innovation and variety...improvements across the board. And I think the character creation is great, not as deep as, say, Skyrim's (not exactly super deep either, but the 3D/HD makes for a lot more possibilities), but I like it. And...SPACE!

5. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

But when you've seen one cave, you've seen them all.

I think I just noticed the different tiers a bit too much in Terraria. You have to find certain stuff to make progress, to get that stuff you need to find other stuff, etc... I guess I could have used more set goals and less artificial tiers. It might sound strange, but when I have a journal item saying "I need to travel to the underground jungle and find the mystic chacram", then I'm enjoying it more. My experience with Terrariawas bumping into the underground jungle underprepared. At that point the difference in tiers is very noticable.