1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Fix For Platinum Generation

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SethKipz, Dec 6, 2013.

1. SethKipz

SethKipz Aquatic Astronaut

Navigate to:
    [steam install directory]\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\biomes

Replace oredistributions.lvltables with this:
    http://jmp.sh/v/k0hDlTtiuirHJmtAUKCV

By defualt platinum can only generate on planets of threat level 34+. This makes platinum generate on the surface of any planet level 31+, and in the depths of any planet level 25+. It left it quite rare intentionally, but it is there.

As far as I can tell, ore generation is not retroactive. You will need to visit a world you have not been to before to get new ore generation.

Screenshot: (nowhere near this much actually generates, just bumped it really high to get a easy screenshot)
    [​IMG]

Backup of the original oredistributions.lvltables can be found here:
    http://jmp.sh/v/S8pA3EML2GUBBlbQLggw

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    Sykes and Yumi like this.
  2. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

Not true, on the update last night, Tiy increased platinum spawn. And I've found platinum in Planets with threat level of 5 and greater.

3. Stuart Baron

Stuart Baron Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well that's just balls.. I've been to all planets now from levels 1 to 30 and haven't found a single piece of platinum ore..

When did you start playing the game, what race are you, and have you made more than one character ?

4. SethKipz

Default ore generation as of 12/6/13:
    [​IMG]

You probably broke a chest that had some in it without realizing it. It does not generate.

Kriptini likes this.
  5. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

Wait, you meant platinum? Oh sorry I meant silver sorry!

6. Stuart Baron

That screen shot you just linked says that platinum doesn't spawn at all until you are above level 34 planets...

Even in the deepsurfaceore list, it says that it doesn't spawn :(

7. SethKipz

That is the unedited version.

8. Stuart Baron

I would normally consider tampering with the coding of a game to make it more playable cheating.. But since your list states that there is no platinum anywhere on any planets under the level 34 i think i'm going to have to download your fix here and have a go at it myself see if it helps...

Then hopefully if they fix this in the next patch...

9. Stuart Baron

QUESTION:-

Do i need to restart the game, or visit another planet or something ?

or will this work on the current planets that i'm digging on now.. Can i just continue to search on the existing planets i've colonized already ?

More Tips on this fix please :D

10. SethKipz

11. Lycaon

Lycaon Big Damn Hero

Hmm. So can i find Titanium at the surface of a lvl 21 planet?
    Edit: Yes you can ;)

12. Medievalhorde

Medievalhorde Space Hobo

What are the changed variables now? What level should I expect t find platinum?

13. Stuart Baron

THIS!

I've been looking around this NEW planet to see if i can find any platinum at all. But i still can't find anything i'm VERY far down now,

At what levels am i expected to find platinum and on what level planet?..

14. SethKipz

Surface:
    31-36: As rare as gold on the surface of beta sector planets.
    37-xx: A bit less common than iron on the surface of Alpha planets.

Mid-depth:
    25-30: As rare as gold on the surface of beta sector planets.
    31-36: As rare as gold in the mid-depth section of alpha/beta planets.
    37-xx: A bit less common than iron on the surface of Alpha planets.

Deep:
    25-30: As rare as gold in the mid-depth section of alpha/beta planets.
    31-36: As rare as gold in the deep section of alpha/beta planets.
    37-xx: As common as iron on the surface of Alpha planets.

Typing that out actually makes me think I should bump it up I guess...

15. Stuart Baron

You should bump that up alot.

Since there is no planets higher than level 20 in the beta sector. and no planets higher than level 30 in the gamma sector.. So alot of them changes don't really effect anyone until you get past the gamma sector.

Or does platinum not even spawn on gamma planets at all, since you have only posted about the alpha and beta planets?

16. InfernoX222

InfernoX222 Aquatic Astronaut

Your list is missing several sections - depth1, depth2, depth3 which show level 1 planets can spawn plat at the 'depth2'/'depth3' range. Which I can only assume is around the 'lava death' layer

17. Hyooga

Hyooga Guest

Platinum has been really bugging me for quite a while, i need it to get a decent armor to fight the 3rd boss, but i can't get it if i dont kill the 3rd boss and go to a lvl31 planet? Logic.
    (Also, thank you for posting this)

18. InfernoX222

InfernoX222 Aquatic Astronaut

Let me know if your tweaks work out, I am quite curious. Also, make sure to restart the server after tweaking (unless singleplayer) because otherwise your client will have the tweaks but the server has the old values loaded in memory. You would also have to go to a new world or nothing new is being generated.

19. Nokturnal

Nokturnal Space Hobo

There's a lot that needs fixing when it comes to Armour.

Currently Platinum Armor gives only 15 armor rating, yet it's more rare than titanium? (Even with your fix)

While titanium armor gives 25 armor rating... big leap there and it requires the more rare material to make it. (As in you have to make platinum armor in order to make titanium armor..)

There's a major problem when you have to jump from lvl 15 to lvl 25 armor and yet the ingredients for the lvl 25 armor aren't found until lvl 30+ planets... (where you will actually require lvl 30+ armor to survive not getting 1 shot.... unless you're supposed to abuse bad AI pathing the whole game with walls)

20. Hyooga

Hyooga Guest

Actually platinum armor gives 13 armor if you wear the entire set, it can be upgraded to pioneer armor, which gives 25 armor (and it's still not enough since everything lvl 28 or higher can still oneshot you)
    There will definetly be a lot of armors to choose from, with special effects and such. I think the devs left them out to let us test the basic features of the game first, which is completely understandable, but perhaps they should've buffed the standard armors then, i mean how am i supposed to test difficulty if all i have is crappy armor that gets me oneshot all the time?
    By the way im confident that everything will be perfectly ok in a couple of weeks (difficulty-wise), the team is great.