1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Fix For Platinum Generation

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SethKipz, Dec 6, 2013.

1. InfernoX222

InfernoX222 Aquatic Astronaut

All I know is I have a gold helm, silver chest, and silver legs... Tonight will be full of level 10-20 planet spelunking in order find the ever elusive plat, and there isn't a single thing wrong with that :)

2. Nokturnal

Nokturnal Space Hobo

Yea atm it's kinda hard to test content when everything passed lvl 15 planets 1 shots you for a long... long time.

I'm thinking they actually didn't even test armor and armor pen internally, seems like they released a little too early because after lvl 15 content not only will your average player hit a huge brick wall but even hardcore players will because platinum is extremely hard to find.

3. vikaman

vikaman Space Hobo

Game is stuck on launch with "Loading" on it. I'll try to figure out what's wrong.

4. segroeg

segroeg Space Hobo

@vikaman Same issue here.

Edit : I found the problem, just put your back up files in an other folder (i put mine on my desktop) and it work like a charm =)

5. Shypa

Shypa Title Not Found

Basicly i need to get onto a lvl 34 planet to get Platinum with an armor wich wasn´r even protecting me at lvl 20-30 planets ?
    And then this platinum based armor will not protect me against monsters wich ill encounter on lvl 30-40 ?

... im currently confused about that. am i doing something wrong ? ... i mean im currently wear the Sparrow set ( armor rating 15 ) and aint see any higher armor withaut platinum.

anyone have a hint ?

6. ry4444n

ry4444n Subatomic Cosmonaut

is this confirmed to work? ive read a lot about platinum not showing up so im trying this out, even though i just started gamma sector. game loaded fine for me

7. Stuart Baron

Stuart Baron Subatomic Cosmonaut

READ THIS...

If you are going to edit the file in the starbound file structure to make yourself get more platinum or any other ore in the game please bear in mind that the order of the ores does make a difference before the amount in brackets...

E.G. [2,[["Coal",0.15], ["Iron",0.20],["Platinum",0.15]]]

in the above example, COAL has the highest chance to spawn as it is first in the queue of spawn able ores with a 15% chance. (unsure of how the percentages work).
    This still holds even if the platinum ore had a 0.50 spawn chance.

I first tried to add platinum to the end of the list of spawns like above with a very high rate i think i had it at "0.80". But i was still not finding anything, or at least very little platinum.
    So i went back and changed it so that platinum was at the beginning of the list

E.G. [2,[["Platinum",0.80], ["Iron",0.20], ["Coal",0.15]]]

This will give platinum a ridiculous chance to spawn as it is both first in the list and has a very high chance to spawn...

I've tested this over and over and it seems to make sense and works..

However i'm very tired at the moment, so the above might not make much sense, hope it does. Helps to fix the platinum problem even more though :D

8. SethKipz

SethKipz Aquatic Astronaut

Are you sure about that? The screenshot I used in the original post was 0.80 at the end of the list on the surface list and the stuff was literally everywhere.

Nothing but surfaceOres and deepsurfaceOres actually does anything as far as I can tell, I thought subsurface ores did when I made this, but upon further inspection it doesn't appear to either.

I might try to work out a full overhaul for the ore generation tomorrow since the patch has been delayed a few days.

9. Fusioneko

Fusioneko Phantasmal Quasar

Beating the bosses is actually easy. Find a gun, spear, or something of significant armor pen on the surface of a high threat level- from a town- or chests- bandits anything. From there use your building materials to build a box of sizable size. Place your boss spawning icon- gtfo after telling it to spawn. I'm not sure if this will actually work, but it should. Caging them is incredibly useful for good reason. You shouldn't have to do this for anyone but the dragon. Which I beat by building a cubby underneath the ground and shooting up out of it. Building several little areas to keep him from flying away.

10. Stuart Baron

Stuart Baron Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would consider that as cheating in my book..

It's the same as in the FPS games like CoD and BF where you can go underground. Yeah it's there to use and it's a glitch but no-one would ever consider you a good player because you can get kills using it..

i prefer to do it the proper way, There is no sure way to tell if the game is balanced if you don't do it properly. After all we are testing the game in beta, not really playing it...

11. Fusioneko

Cheating or not, I think it's settled by, doing what is feasible, and possible anyway you see it. IF the game allows me to do it- and this is not intentional then it should or need be adressed in some way. Otherwise, it is a result or a means to achieve an answer. And that it has.

It was a common strategy in Terraria to build 'arena's' the main reason in building a cage around spawn, and such mainly is.. Keeping the enemy from running away. The cage really is a method just to satisfy-or protect ones self- .. In such a way that. The progression items cost precious time to make. considering the pixels- resources and various other things needed. Having to repeat the dragon twice was a 4,000 pixel loss to it. Because it apparently decided to chase a bird. Like the UFO did to me once.

12. Frozensoul

Frozensoul Void-Bound Voyager

Have you even attempted the second or third boss? With the available armors that are horribly balanced there is no way to not be one shot by these bosses. In single player it makes these fights impossible as even the most skilled player is not going to be able to avoid getting hit once without building some kind cheesy arena to take advantage of the poor AI.

Even with the boxing in method you can't do it easily at all. Monsters wont spawn if there's blocks next to it or above the spawning device so you have to quickly pray you can build something to prevent you from getting insta killed the second you spawn the monster and then do your hardest to get a box all the way around it. If you fail, it's a massive time loss.

I don't see any other way of defeating these bosses as a single player without this method you consider cheating at the moment until we get the rebalance in a few days.

Also, I hardly care about platinum as anything above lvl 25 and the third boss will still be a one hit death to me. The game is badly broken right now and it's obvious but I'll still "cheat" any way I can to experience all the available content at this time.

I'll also enjoy a chance to start from the beginning with the rebalance and char wipe as this game is awesome fun despite it's lack of polish.

13. Seroko

Seroko Aquatic Astronaut

It's almost impossible to find Platinum, even with the modified file!
    I've found it only on chests, it's quite annoying that you can find Titanium everywhere but not the lower tier...
    Can u upload a modified file that spawns this ores everywhere? I've got tons of Titanium bars, useless without the damned platinum :zzz:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  14. Joe Amethyst

Joe Amethyst Void-Bound Voyager

I mined all the way down to the core of a level 28 snow planet and spent about an hour mining ores there and found no platinum. Perhaps bump it up some more? It should really be about as common as titanium.

15. Fusioneko

Precisely, The boxing method is way risky. And requires a lot of timing and skill solo. With another perosn you can aggro the boss. Another method is to dig or make a pit Bucket shaspe with high rise walls on bothh sides. As long as the general requirements above it are cleared it won't freak out. Making a pit inside the bucket is good for the 2nd boss. You can run into a pit and lead it in, and wall yourself into a box, using a spear, or a long-reach weapon you can beat him. But the third boss is a lot of luck, and a lot of dying. The skill to beat him is.. well utterlyt insane considering how much he punishes you for having no place to move or go.

16. RockyTV

RockyTV Big Damn Hero

They fixed this. Read the patch notes.

17. Vanguard04

Vanguard04 Space Hobo

They did not fix this. Read this note.

18. Fusioneko

As far as I know it hasn't been fixed. I'm still waiting for it to be addressed. But I haven't seen any notes regarding the most recent update at least. And I know I've still been playing which still has platinum issues.

19. Kyrosiris

Kyrosiris Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is in the Annoyed Koala patch notes:

"Ore rebalance (probably way way too much ore at the moment, will be fixed later, enjoy it)"

In theory, this probably means that the lack of Platinum before TL34 is resolved (not that threat levels are as much of A Thing in Annoyed Koala).

20. Fusioneko

Yes I read those patch notes after my post, afdter it rose up and hit reddit. And all that.