Evolution of monsters

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Azazel, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Azazel

Azazel Void-Bound Voyager

Evolution
    Yes, evolution because it makes mobs much more involved and adds basically more depth to a game (thats my personal opinion, you don't have to agree with it). This would be incredibly hard to put in, but it doesn't have to come early, it could be a late update... Or even a mod with a group of people dedicated modders working on it.
    No.1):
    Of course evolution would make a mob more advanced after the next stage, but instead of just make it bigger and stronger the animal could have special stats/skills. Like the next stage of Virorb (Phazorb) on a 'normal' planet could have a bloodsucking skill which disables most of the head armour of the player and steals health from the player as well as giving health to itself from the bloodsucking skiil. (Idea from Star of Wisdom, edited). They could also stay one a player's head for longer and of course the normal more strength, damage etc.
    No.2):
    Different planets could lead to different evolutionary stages/branches meaning it won't be the same old evolution for every mob on every planet (Idea from §hifter). The new evolution stage could also add things like if the mob was evolving on a lava/volcano planet it could have the ability to set other mobs/players on fire. Examples of what the evolutionary stages could be like is down below.
    No.3):
    Some mobs could have no stages whatsoever, less than 3 stages or even more than 3 stages. Or mobs could just the normal 3 stages. The chances of how much stages there are could be totally random or the smaller mobs would get more stages, whereas bigger mobs would get no stages or less than 3 stages.
    No.4):
    You could also at your space station research the evolutions and record them down and for the higher stages of evolution you might possibly be able to upgrade your test/research tubes to make more space for the selected mob. I don't know if this is possible but move your space station to another planet so you can research on the other evolutionary branches of the mobs and how they evolve and adapt to the different planet.
    Example of evolutionary stages):
    Virorb --> Phazorb --> Elder Orb
    Poptop --> Topjaws --> Popspike
    Bad Moon --> Cresent Devil --> Full Death
    Ice planet evolutionary stages):
    Virorb --> Icorb --> Glaciorb
    Poptop --> Popfreeze --> Icitop
    Bad Moon --> Crystal Cresent --> Freezing Full Moon
    The specific answer to why I chose these mobs is because they won the competition, I know I didn't put Mindwurm and that was because it was too damn hard for me to make names up for it, but still the idea is great.
    With your help and suggestions I can improve on this thread, I love feedback and can accept constructive criticism.
    I am currently looking for a spriter so I can show better examples of everything and make it more clear.
    -Azazel

lol991lew, Hooveh, ggh325 and 20 others like this.
  2. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

This sounds very interesting. I support this.
    One question:
    In your example, all the monsters had 3 evolutionary stages. Could monsters have more? Or perhaps some monsters could have none at all?

Also, perhaps in different places they could have different evolutionary branches?

By the way, your names of evolved species are not bad.

3. Azazel

Maybe.. some could have more.. some could have less or none, thanks for suggestion.
    An yes different biomes could lead to different evolution :)
    Thanks for suggestions.
    And also, thanks, I thought they were bad :p

4. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

I think that it should be affected by the player's actions as well - for example, if one were to clear a planet entirely of its trees, its inhabitants would change to reflect that - perhaps grow smaller over time, or maybe come up with a brand new adaptation that would be easily noticeable and allow it to survive in the altered world.

§hifter likes this.
  5. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

Sounds like pokemon.
    You can even catch them and breed them.
    I bet you can train them too. :yeahhhh:

That Guy, Oricalcum and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.
  6. Robo Hobo

Robo Hobo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Greetings

It would need a very, very large amount of time..

Perhaps if there were like, Cryo-Tubes you could install on your space ship, to speed up Game-Time?
    Like, each Minute in the Cryo-Tube in Real Life, functioned as, say, 20 years in Game Time?
    Dunno.

KuroHinotori and Kloudy like this.
  7. Azazel

Yes, or if you changed a biome, it could slowly adapt to the new atmosphere and re-evolve into a different set.
    its based of evolution, Tiy even made that you can capture mobs anyway, so it isn't my fault. I never was thinking about pokemon for this, just the fact that it would make the game better and cooler but more work for Chucklefish :L And also, who wouldn't want to see a giant poptop? Or an even bigger full moon but with icicles on it etc!
    So, gotcha :iswydt:
    And lastly: Robo Hobo, yes that would be cool, quicker evolution :D

One last thing: You could probably get bigger test tube bits for looking at the bigger evolutions.

8. Merch

Merch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The ice names are... yes kind of silly for the poptop but the rest are okay.
    I support the idea too :D

9. Azazel

Thanks, Merch.

10. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

smart. Very smart.

11. Azazel

Thanks. Very much.

12. linkunarre

linkunarre Phantasmal Quasar

Sounds good... i like this idea, its a very good one...
    and i could help you spriting, i'm not the best, but i can help ;)

13. Azazel

Cheers bro :D

14. Death

Death Space Spelunker

This idea needs a small bit of elaborating on what the evolved monsters would do. If we had sprites, then we would have a clearer vision of what it would be like. :)

15. linkunarre

linkunarre Phantasmal Quasar

if you want me to help, i'll need something to work on. so don't tell me "draw a vioribd" , if i don't know what it is, i can't do nothing... :rofl:

16. Ferty7

Ferty7 Void-Bound Voyager

This sounds kinda complicated to implement into this game. It would be awesome if they added it after they released it but I'm not sure if its going to work all that well. The basic definition of evolution is a small low celled organism becoming a organism with more cells making it stronger, smarter, and generally larger. Maybe only some monsters could evolve because some of them are probably already pretty big.

17. Zizou

Zizou Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd rather have them slightly mutate according to the weather, area, etc. or have them have new random characteristics when they are born. Like Darwin said! :D

18. Azazel

Its already in the OP, I believe.
    Not that complicated but I see where you're going.
    And I already said about some not evolving but some are.

19. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Well, i could disagree with how you just defined the word "evolution".
    It is rather the process through with organisms adapt to survival better, some do it by becoming bigger, others don't become as large, but are rather small and stealthy. It has nothing to do with size. Some creatures actually become smaller through the course of evolution. Becoming more complex is another matter. But complexity and size are not the same thing.

It can also be used as a general word for advancement/improvement. For example "Technology evolves incredibly fast these days".

So in this case, the creatures we are talking about become better suited to survive in different environments. So it does fit into the term "evolution".

linkunarre and Azazel like this.
  20. Azazel

Thanks for that.

The Corrupted [ITA] likes this.