Custom, player made options on Character creator

Discussion in 'Other' started by The Great Beezle, Jan 12, 2013.

1. The Great Beezle

The Great Beezle Industrial Terraformer

Basically what i suggest is that if the player has the nessecary art capablities to do so, they can upload thier own designs to the character creator to create something truly unique.

Sorry if the description for the suggestion is a little vague but if i spelled it all out, it would be a very long post and its more fun to watch the people participating in the thread flesh it out with thier comments.

(whether something like this thread/idea has been mentioned before, im unsure, but post a link if you can)

Affero and designerofgames like this.
  2. Rocksta37

Rocksta37 Phantasmal Quasar

I think that would be unfair to those players who dont have the art capabilities to make their own designs,although more choices in the character creator would be good.

okay, 1029chris and MEWMEW like this.
  3. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

That's like saying that building in the game isn't fair because not everyone is creative. It's just a character creator.... it's not like those with artistic capabilities would suddenly have an edge over those that don't.

4. Rocksta37

It would still be unfair because some people would make a very unique character and then others would copy them and it would be like miencraft.A couple of famous skins that a lot of players have and some other ones.

LoCoZeNoz ZUE likes this.
  5. The Great Beezle

Realistically, theres the same problem with the current creator, soon everybody is going to run out of combinations

LoCoZeNoz ZUE likes this.
  6. Rocksta37

Agreed.

7. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Shouldn't this game allow people to be creative? I honestly think the current creator is so limited, even with more combinations. Why not give people the chance and choice?

Uxie and Zailiner like this.
  8. Rocksta37

''I think that would be unfair to those players who dont have the art capabilities to make their own designs,although more choices in the character creator would be good.''Never said that there shouldn't be more creation options.

9. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

I'm sorry, I fail to see why you think you must continue to use the term "unfair". NO ADVANTAGE is given, it's just looks. "That's unfair, they look different and I can't do that!" Seriously, that's going to come out of 12 year olds, maybe - few are going to care. The uncreative people can go look for skins if they can't make their own, then.

Affero and designerofgames like this.
  10. Rocksta37

I was quoting my last post which you seemed to not read.

11. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Oh no, I read it. I have no qualms with your point that it will be good to have more options. That's agreeable. I have qualms with the word choice "unfair" - no, it is not. And if it is, then so many things are going to be unfair. Like the guy who made a cooler house than you did because he's more artistic and creative.

12. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

This is nonsensical. The character creation is purely cosmetic, why would it matter if people have more unique looking characters?

This is absolutely correct, your complaint that it would be unfair as people with artistic capabilities would have more unique characters could be applied to anything from building, to terraforming. It isn't "unfair" as everyone would have access to this feature, some would just be better at using it than others.

And again, purely cosmetic, so even if you are good at using it, it doesn't make any real difference in the long run.

designerofgames and Zailiner like this.
  13. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

Here another idea. Perhaps we could do this like the steam workshop? If player A has the know how to make pixel art but player B doesn't. Player A being the nice sport he/she is uploads it to the workshop or an alternative site like the Nexus for people like Player B to download for their own game.

designerofgames and Rocksta37 like this.
  14. Rocksta37

I like your thinking.

designerofgames likes this.
  15. DSMK2

DSMK2 Phantasmal Quasar

I think it should work like this:

You create a vanilla character without custom parts first. This will be the character to use when a server doesn't allow custom head parts, or as fallback if your custom character isn't loading for others. On the other side, within canvas/color constraints, players can create, use, and upload custom character parts to some mod portal (Steam Workshop) or have them dynamically downloaded to others if the server allows custom parts.

It should also be a player option whether they want to download/see custom parts or not.

I'm heavily reminded of Minecraft :)

16. DSMK2

DSMK2 Phantasmal Quasar

Ouch, haven't thought of that... Think pixel color restrictions might help against that?

17. DSMK2

DSMK2 Phantasmal Quasar

If it were just head/hairstyles i.e. the "New Hairstyle Suggestion" thread, I assume it'll be more legal; you can change the head to a degree, but not the body. There may be those who want to maintain usage of their favorite vanilla race with custom head options, as opposed to using another one with different styling options and mechanics.

With the pixel (palette) color restrictions, it ensures that colors can still be picked using the character creator. I've experienced this in a robot based MMORPG, you were able to edit your robot skins (as a png file), but only with colors within the skin's palette; which were 3-4 different colors of different shades. Heck that was an in game feature. I haven't seen much using that for obscene imagery, if they did, then they were gone.

And looking at the Scribblenauts Unlimited Steam Workshop... I think inappropriate content is trivial. Using it usually is asking for a ban.

I really want to be able to carry my avatar across servers :d

WoxandWarf likes this.
  18. The Great Beezle

Some good idea's seeping out here guys.

The steam workshop type one i particularly like (Perhaps a select commitee of starbound could go around selecting the best/most compatable versions of asthetic options to integrate into the full game creator, the same way TF2 goes around selecting the weapons to avoid having to download it seperately)

19. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

I think this could be used to make inappropriate clothing and such.

Zeffia likes this.
  20. The Great Beezle

That's a solid point too, some people might not even make a effort to draw on clothes.

Submissions would have to be moderated first.

Zeffia likes this.