Custom, player made options on Character creator

Discussion in 'Other' started by The Great Beezle, Jan 12, 2013.

1. DSMK2

DSMK2 Phantasmal Quasar

Regardless of what, where there is custom content, inappropriate content will always pop up; but I haven't ever experienced or seen large amounts of them in very public games that allow player made content, Minecraft and its custom player skins for example. However, that doesn't stop some players from building those sort of structures in building games...

Regardless, it always will have to be moderated.

I still don't see why inappropriate content is a big issue for custom character parts; I'm just not foreseeing that abusively huge influx of it!

And I keep on thinking when someone mentions "inappropriate content", they're assuming that there will be a large influx of it...

Doesn't the (web) character creator have the no-clothing option already?

Humans: Underwear.
    Avian + Apex: The Fur/feathers makes up for the lack of underwear.
    Florans + Robots + Hylotls: Don't appear to need anything.

Heck, all races appear to have barbie doll anatomy :d

2. The Great Beezle

The Great Beezle Industrial Terraformer

I was more refering to player drawn (almost amusingly badly) nudity, stripped down even to the bread-beard! Very much a unsavoury thing if you ask me.

3. DSMK2

DSMK2 Phantasmal Quasar

Of course. I don't really want to see Starbound go the Second Life route :p

4. Marshall.Duke

Marshall.Duke Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay, I just want to stop a few of you there and just say that this would be easy, in fact, its very doable and entirely fair. As it has already been done with minecraft. Just look at all those skins, skin editors, and skin creators, it would be a better form of character creator actually. It wouldn't be too much trouble to have that in here. Just bear in mind, you will be getting giant walking male sexual appendages from time to time in public servers.
    This is actually one of the beefs I had with terraria, they had crap all for hairstyle selections.

5. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

Either your post (below) is confusing me, or your reply (above) is a contradiction of:

6. Rocksta37

Rocksta37 Phantasmal Quasar

Hah,by looking i don't know what I was trying :p It looks like a contradiction but I don't think it's what i was going for.

7. kikinaak

kikinaak Pangalactic Porcupine

This idea reminds me of a game called Well of Souls, where you could create custom skins for your character to use and all players would automatically download them when you got near. Being tiny bitmaps, this was workable. Sure they had nude and offensive skins, but they also had a "block this skin" option for players who were bothered by something. As for masking gender or race, You can probably do that already with helmets or bulky armored suits? I'm thinking the custom stuff would be overlaid on the base sprites designed in the character creator, like minecraft skins are laid over the base model.

8. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Pangalactic Porcupine

I dont see a problem with nudity at all, not in real life and even less in a game that has only 12x30 pixels for the whole character.
    Everyone learns in school that men got a penis and women a vagina and boobs .. thats nothing new nor shocking nowadays.
    So how many details can you pack into a few pixels -_-

what i see as problem are "invisible characters". When someone paints himself purely into blue hiding in front of blue backgrounds for pvp.
    That would kinda ruin balance for those aspects.

So in general i like that idea because it enables creativity, but it should be disableable serverside :3

Suggestion approved xD

9. kikinaak

Exactly why I suggested a custom overlay onto a base sprite, not a replacement of the base sprite. Nips that exploit right in the dangly bits.

10. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Disabled server-side would work. That way, it would just be on single player games, avoiding cheating or ridiculous behavior.

11. I like the idea, but regardless of other issues it seems like a lot of effort (on Chucklefish's part) for little gain to include this capability with the game itself. As others have said, those who are really interested will likely be able to mod this in at their discretion. Also, this doesn't take into account that there will be different armours and vanity items allowing players to further differentiate themselves.

Who knows, maybe someone will go on to develop a mod allowing for the use of custom races and character parts etc.

12. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Server-side, what was allowed in Terraria? Could someone mod in a custom skin and play with it, or was it purely single player only that it would show up?

13. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Pangalactic Porcupine

You could add new textures for everyone through a mod (that everyone shares ofc, including textures) but when someone altered his own textures locally, it only affected him and not others.

Also implementing those textures isnt that hard. You transfer the sprites to the server on connect and the server distributes the textures to every client storing the texture locally. Storing and downloading 16x36 pixel sprites doesnt consume much bandwith and storage aswell :3

btw a good method to handle that could be to toggle it client-side.
    When creating customized texures you choose a "base sprite" which you can alter in ANY way. Then the original sprite reference and the altered sprite gets transfered.
    So the client can choose to either display the original or the altered version. That should be simple and give freedom.
    In addition that could even be extended to display either original or altered sprites for individual players later (not needed initially ofc). That way you could view some nice textures while restricting others from being displayed altered.

14. kikinaak

Custom sprites would be more than just personal looks. Anybody could slap a clan symbol on a shoulderpad, even if its just a circle and line of specific colors. Another way to go about this would be for the various outfits that are already in place, let us specify colors for them. Even if the pattern is always the same, players could have a signature color, like Monster Hunter had certain patches on most of the armors that would take on a players choice of color. Red Ring Rico, or Samuel Jacksons purple... Possibilities here.

15. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

I like this, simply cause I just want my damn hairstyle to use.

16. LoCoZeNoz ZUE

LoCoZeNoz ZUE Tentacle Wrangler

The thing is that "artist" should not be able to make "1 pixel" avatars. Other wise that really would be a advantage. (Imagine this stealth attacking you)
    I agree about being able to make custom parts and be able to sell em. The characteristics will be selected by what you do it from. Like metal pieces will force it to shine more no matter how you do it.
    Really good idea. But you will be also able to mask as another race.
    So if you do this. There should be alot of filters that may probably not work.
    Through, what am i talking about? Custom armor may prevent this. Becouse when you can change you body, its unfair. (Unless everyone will, but... you understand)

17. designerofgames

designerofgames Orbital Explorer

Those are some good points. Maybe somewhere on the Starbound Official site there could be a section dedicated to suggestions, just like how there is a button for the character creation on the forums. Maybe users could send in pictures of their hair/accessory in action.

18. KaptainKake9

KaptainKake9 Tentacle Wrangler

If we go FULL customization. Then everyones heads will be giant penises. So that's is probably a no. As for more character creation options... I agree with that completely.
    Maybe lesser customization so you can only edit your character pixel-by-pixel. But definetly not adding your own... parts... to the character.

^^^ THAT RIGHT THERE! Is an excellent idea! ^^^

19. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

Who said not being so experienced at art made you incapable of creating a character.

20. KaptainKake9

KaptainKake9 Tentacle Wrangler

Quite a valid point there. They could expand the character creator. But making it playermade... just... noo...

§hifter likes this.