Construction Mech: "Big Gravity Gun With Legs"

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by Ikaeru, May 9, 2013.

?

Approves?

1. Approves.

87 vote(s)
    96.7%
  2. Disapproves.

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Ikaeru

Ikaeru Subatomic Cosmonaut

In the demo's we've seen so far, the gravity gun/block placement device that we've seen can only go so far as to place solid 2x2 chunks of blocks. This is excellent, but I'd like to see that idea taken further. Thus, I propose... The Construction Mech (Bigger Gravity Gun With Legs):

[​IMG]

The thought is that such a mech or device would have a 5x5 grid which players could then load stacks of blocks into, into whatever pattern they desired to place with the C-Mech. Perhaps a feature would permit the rotation of this pattern by 90 degrees, or a simple horizontal/vertical flip of the pattern's orientation.

This would make larger construction projects go much more quickly. As players gain more resources, they can kill stronger monsters, die less, dig faster--why not let construction go more quickly too?

2. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Existential Complex

Looks expensive, and not very worth it. While this is a cool concept, it looks very underpowered.

xLyraHeartstringsx likes this.
  3. Ikaeru

How big would the grid have to be for it to be worth it to you?

4. The Question

The Question Ketchup Robot

This Looks Pretty Fukken Great. I Geeve It Vi- Oops Almost Said My Identity. The Questions Seal Of Approval.:blank:

JennShii likes this.
  5. pythonxz

pythonxz Industrial Terraformer

This actually seems like a great idea. I just think that it would be better to have an upgrade for the building tool, which allows you to do the same thing. From a development standpoint, it's much easier (and more practical) to make it an upgrade.

Hippolv likes this.
  6. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Existential Complex

I'm not sure. This is a tough question. Maybe 5x5 would be a bit better, but I think it should also have other abilities. You have to keep in mind that this has to be worth the money/resources players would spend (and generally, vehicles aren't cheap, especially if they're being printed out).

7. Ikaeru

As someone who has the desire and design fondness to build massive structures, but isn't willing to necessarily do all the boring detail work like counting out every third block to place a crenelation atop a castle wall, I'd basically be willing to pay absurd amounts of material for this. Hell, I'd be okay with it if it was literally the "last best" item a player could acquire.

8. Newominus

Newominus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It doesn't look as if it has very much mobility attatched to that thing, so i think that would be the limiting factor on this vehicle.

9. Ikaeru

You know, you're right. I hadn't thought about the mobility element when designing this thing--just other elements when creating the mockup. Any version that worked like this ingame would have to have better mobility. That, or it would have to be able to place blocks from a long way away.X3

10. brandonlk

brandonlk Pangalactic Porcupine

hmm or have a jet pack as an upgrade for it as well as bigger grid upgrades mabey a small lazer turret to fend of the crap attacing yous wilst your building

11. Ikaeru

Right now I'm debating between doing a mock-up UI and attempting to maybe add some animation to the sprite to make it more eye-catching. Thoughts?

12. brandonlk

brandonlk Pangalactic Porcupine

make the back round more spacey

13. Sizzle

Sizzle Phantasmal Quasar

I think ill just hire the Amish.

ArmouredPixie and Percival like this.
  14. Jacklego5

Jacklego5 Void-Bound Voyager

:/ -> :eek: -> :p -> :D Looks good for making thick walls. Maybe u can also make it to do like a large up and down placement. AKA :
    Bar.png

15. Digs

Digs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Make those sad, stubby little legs into hover jets.

Dragrath likes this.
  16. Connorses

Connorses Big Damn Hero

I do like the idea of a kind of construction crane. Perhaps it could use some treads to roll on like a real crane, and a neck which can extend because with a 4x4 or perhaps a 5x5 grid you're going to be able to make HUGE stuff, thus it ought to have a much longer reach. Of course there is the problem of building on one side of your building and being unable to move around the building to work on the other side. The solution?

Attach that big construction claw to a HELICOPTER. :cool:

...That or it sits on top of the building it's working on and climb up as it builds. :DD

17. Ikaeru

The other possibility is that maybe it's very slow moving, but has like, a rather extreme range for block placement so that it can get into little nooks and crannies, even if it can't quite fit in there itself.

18. Fayd

Fayd Starship Captain

I like the idea of an en-mass construction mecha. Especially with how mathematically and formulaic I tend to build things. Now, if we could have some sort of Data-Chip that could transfer our patterns between mechas so we can transport them to different worlds....

proffejor, Connorses and Skitz like this.
  19. Sizzle

Sizzle Phantasmal Quasar

o_O wut duh wut? Lets not 'blow' things out of proportion xD

20. Skitz

Skitz Big Damn Hero

Oh you just went to a level of crazy i like :D
    Like a duplicate tool from g-mod being able to copy a whole room or building and paste/building it elsewhere would be most amazing, possibly have the mech itself start as 4x4 with limited range and then with upgrades be able to do more and more further away.
    Ok, i like this idea alot more than i originally thought :3

Connorses and ArmouredPixie like this.