Construction Mech: "Big Gravity Gun With Legs"

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by Ikaeru, May 9, 2013.

?

Approves?

1. Approves.

87 vote(s)
    96.7%
  2. Disapproves.

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Techno9200

Techno9200 Void-Bound Voyager

This is a fantastic idea! :DD

Also, I've got an idea for the mobility on it. It would be cut into thirds for each pair of legs to make sections. Inbetween each section, there are connectors that help each individual section to be adjusted to different height differences of blocks. Think of it like this... a pair of legs in the front are higher than the legs on the back if the ones in the front are standing on a block higher than the rest. Therefore, every single pair of legs is touching the ground.

2. Connorses

Connorses Big Damn Hero

Alternatively, you select the building you want to duplicate (or perhaps make a blueprint) and assign the project to CONSTRUCTION ROBOTS.
    Kinda like that Blockland hack that let you spawn a bunch of bots that automatically build stuff for you since admins won't let you load builds.

This gave me an idea. What if you could make blueprints of builds and it was possible to share them with other players? And this doesn't necessarily require robots. There could be a holographic projector that outlines your build, if you have a blueprint. so you can construct things by hand very accurately from it. Heck I could make a whole thread for this idea...

3. Digs

Digs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

And you should. I want it!

xLyraHeartstringsx likes this.
  4. hylandpad

hylandpad Subatomic Cosmonaut

I could see this having a niche for materials that are dubbed 'superheavy' and couldnt be placed with the handheld gun.

5. Connorses

Connorses Big Damn Hero

Is that something they plan to implement? Because it could be interesting. Perhaps it also applies to large solid objects like statues or large furniture?

6. Ikaeru

Ikaeru Subatomic Cosmonaut

The problem with that, though cool, is that it doesn't actually speed up construction that much, as you'd still be forced to place blocks one at a time. Even in the case of designing a blueprint, unless you were using the blueprints soley to recreate chunks that you'd use repeatedly, you'd spend just as much time mapping out the pixels of the blueprint as you would placing the blocks of the original structure.

xLyraHeartstringsx likes this.
  7. Annoctatio

Annoctatio Pangalactic Porcupine

It's worth a shot. Mechs are cool anyways.

8. Techno9200

Techno9200 Void-Bound Voyager

I think the plan is just a suggestion, but it is definitely good enough to implement! :DD

With objects besides blocks, that's a fantastic idea! It would save so much time and effort rather than placing down every single decoration...

I've also gotten another idea, just with the mechanics that is. The mech uses the items in your inventory to place down objects rather than from a container inside the mech. Once, you run out of the items it's using, it doesn't place that item down (or doesn't place anything down).

9. Fayd

Fayd Starship Captain

You know, it could be interesting if this were a SERIES of mechs, each more capable than the last. Or perhaps we could tune our mech for our specific needs (Add/Improve hover capability, increase layout size, increase weight hauled, increase range, that sort of thing.)\

You know, tuning our mechs seems like something that could just be fun in general!

Mippy and Techno9200 like this.
  10. Ikaeru

I made a new mockup image for the suggestion, including a fun little menu! :3
    [​IMG]

Connorses and Skitz like this.
  11. Mippy

Mippy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

how about a customizable grid while riding that thing? this would make it PERFECT. but should be expensive and without weapons. maybe upgradeable to fly for a short time!

12. New.TroN

New.TroN Aquatic Astronaut

Yeah, from the movie Man of Steel.

13. Ikaeru

A customizable grid? I'm trying to figure out what you mean, precisely. If you mean "being able to customize the shapes that it dispenses," then, yeah, that's the point of this already. :p If not, I have no idea what you mean.

...and I have just outright no idea what you mean. Did you post in the right thread?

14. Fayd

Fayd Starship Captain

I... That new mockup is NICE. If I didn't know any better I could have sworn it was a leak!

15. Mippy

Mippy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

thats exactly what i meant:D

16. Ikaeru

Like, even if it was just "Hey I want to make a 5x2 pillar that I can rotate so I can more quickly make simple walls, that sort of functionality would be nice. We've all been playing building games forever now. I'm tired of having to be RIGHT NEXT TO what I'm building, and I'm tired of only being able to place squares at a time. I want to be able to place WALLS and FLOORS. :(

17. hylandpad

hylandpad Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like it. I like it alot.

18. xLyraHeartstringsx

xLyraHeartstringsx Void-Bound Voyager

IMPLEMEEEEEEENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Ikaeru likes this.
  19. Connorses

Connorses Big Damn Hero

That's flippin' epic. It kind of reminds me of the build-macros in Blockland where you could record a series of block placements and repeat it elsewhere.
    This would probably also function as a kind of copy-paste tool.

20. Fayd

Fayd Starship Captain

That new mockup just doesn't stop looking good. I know you've done a bit more tiling work; would you be capable of putting together another one with your new tiles?