1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Build Your Own ship/ Sandbox Ship[Dead]

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Rik, Dec 8, 2013.

1. necKros

necKros Space Hobo

And that's why you make backups.

2. Rik

Rik Industrial Terraformer

As necKros said, the beta is pretty unstable and characters and files are susceptible to corruption. I would recommend having a backup on hand regardless if you use a mod or not.

No telling how many times I would've lost my character without backups.

3. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Phantasmal Quasar

Love it. Is a bigger area possible?

This is Arconomic engineering at it's finest, the newest Patchrunner Mk.I is designed to keep all of your non-weapon/teir loot safe through any patch. Since ships likely won't become incompatible, i'll just be copying this to my new character :D
    [​IMG]

4. Nostredeus

Nostredeus Orbital Explorer

I'm going to go ahead and try filling the ship's locker with some "spaceship building blocks" that can't be used for any other purpose, I'll post any success here but this is gunna be a strange one methinks since the game usually doesn't generate tiles in containers.

Rik likes this.
  5. Rik

I decided against including blocks for players to build their ships, it's more fun to simply find the materials on your own.(in my opinion)

6. Nostredeus

No worries I understand completely (it's your mod, I don't want to step on any toes here), so I've made a quick edit and the file attached has a locker full of only the three ship materials that you can't create (the hull, the supports, the walls). It should be impossible to use those materials for any item creation and so on, it's also impossible to make things such as stairs out of them, or windows, or anything really. I reckon that's a kind of mid-way point between giving people materials and giving them the ability to build ships that look similar to the default ones. This way the game isn't really progressed too far by giving them materials (I suppose you could build a house out of it, but really who bothers to build houses).

Also just to say: What you've made is probably the best mod in the mods section, so thank you.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v8hj27k6abkq9j5/putcharactercodehere.shipworld

(This is of course, like the fantastic original, multiplayer compatible.)

klaesforce likes this.
  7. Delusions

Delusions Orbital Explorer

I thought the Walls and support collums were the same as in the Kluas Futuristic dungeons, doors too. Hull I doubt is obtainable though

8. Nostredeus

I'm not sure to be honest, if that is the case then I can always adjust the numbers by massively reducing the amount of obtainable materials or alternatively just delete the modified file since I might have jumped the gun by assuming they were unobtainable. (I'd love to know if they are the same blocks, if they are then I might just fly around in the Rik-ity shack (see wut I did thur) until I collect enough support columns and walls to upgrade. :D )

9. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

I figured this would be appropriate.

10. Gorgasm

Gorgasm Orbital Explorer

I just wanted to say thank you again Rik for this mod. It has caused me lack of sleep for the sake of fun (always worth it). Thought I'd share with you my first creation, all made possible because of your hard work.

[​IMG]

A million times happier flying around in a floating castle than a ship.

11. NightmareX91

NightmareX91 Phantasmal Quasar

Are other players on multiplayer able to wreck ships we build with this?

12. debugman18

debugman18 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes.

13. Kolnedra

Kolnedra Sandwich Man

Amazing :eek:

14. PolarStar

PolarStar Subatomic Cosmonaut

...this is extremely badass.

15. Divinux

Divinux Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So I couldn't wait for the wipe and tested already. Confirmed that it works perfectly well in vanilla MP, everybody else can see and edit it. After the wipe I'm definitely taking this ship. Are you a redditor by any chance? Because if not, I'ma link it there, they deserve to know ;D

16. Rik

Feel free to direct it to any community you like, I'm tend to avoid most social media sites besides something awful and 4chan.

Don't give me too much credit man, it is a pretty simple mod, you deserve all the credit for making such an awesome ship.

17. Divinux

Divinux Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Aand done. Reddit is just special because the devs hang out there as well :) I'm a t/3/apot myself, this Facepunch I keep hearing about but never understood what it's even about.

Ok I'll go back to stripping that apex facility of all its metal now so I can expand my ship.

Edit: Trackback to reddit just for completeness sake.

Edit2: Wow how did I get Facepunch from something awful. It's late.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  18. NightmareX91

NightmareX91 Phantasmal Quasar

Facepunch is a glorious forum. I post there.

[​IMG]
    How'd I do?

kalez, Affero, Divinux and 1 other person like this.
  19. Delusions

Delusions Orbital Explorer

What block did you use to emulate the engines and are they animated?
    I plan to make my Engines using a arc of tesla spikes around a plasma disk set in glass.
    Sadly I ran out of Junk blocks and small temple bricks so I need to go scavenge more materials.
    Also I cant stop imagining the bottom Storage section tearing off with ease. Since it only has 1 connection to the main hull.
    Perhaps dont make it solid, but have it connected by Chains near the front?

20. Darkel

Darkel Void-Bound Voyager

You can use this arrangeable boosters. Feel free to modify them or whatever.
    Sadly, they don't have flames attached to them yet, due to multilayered objects' behaviour.
    If anyone would like to try to attach flames, I suggest looking into 'apex/turret' and 'generic/boosterflame' objects.