1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Build Your Own ship/ Sandbox Ship[Dead]

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Rik, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Rik

Rik Industrial Terraformer

I really don't want to have them via that method though. I'm trying to keep this mod as vanilla as possible outside of the save-file. I'd much prefer to have them breakable via dropship.structure instead of having a custom recipe or modifying the item.

Thanks anyways though, suggestions and improvements are always very welcomed and valued. :catface:

2. klipwc

klipwc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

With spawning mobs as your troppers!!
    Wait what?

kalez likes this.
  3. jormanks

jormanks Master Chief

is there a way to make your ship indestructible once you finish building it?

4. Rik

No, you can only determine what blocks are breakable or not during the .structure creation of the ship.

But interestingly enough, if you wanted to define every item in your ship in the .structure, you could have new characters be created with fully furnished and unbreakable ships.

5. NinjaBoffin

NinjaBoffin Big Damn Hero

Damnit.. someone beat me to it and made the tardis... :L

[​IMG]

skulledrebel and Rik like this.
  6. ZenTheBest

ZenTheBest Void-Bound Voyager

Someone needs to internet star trek onto this mod. :DD

7. Rik

I've updated the mod to have functioning side boosters in the storage box and on the side of the starter ship. I tried to include the smaller bottom boosters, but they wouldn't show up at all in game when placed as Darkel stated in his post.
    Not sure what causes this behavior but I'll work on it. In the mean time, I hope you guys enjoy the rear boosters.

8. Darkel

Darkel Void-Bound Voyager

Won't work, since there are no jet objects defined. Jets are drawn onto dropship background. There is only 'boosterflame' object, exhaust flames decoration, in there.

Update:
    Exhaust flames, theoretically, could be added to custom boosters via one of three ways:
    - Through 'imageLayers' parameter pointing to existing 'boosterflame' object. Wasn't successful, because there is no way to set a position offset for a single layer.
    -Through 'animation' parameter and .animation data. Wasn't successful, because half of objects' animation behaviour is broken at the moment. Specifically, offsets and flipping.
    -Through drawing flames onto jets objects images. Didn't like this one, because it would make objects even wider. However, that's the easiest way.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  9. Rik

What that's what I was talking about, just the flames. The actual jets themselves are just part of the background assets, for example "shipship.png".

I thought people were asking specifically for just the flames.

10. PringleMan

PringleMan Void-Bound Voyager

Given how supportive Tiy is of modding, I could see trying to get him to change how the flame effects are driven. There are already particle effects in game, perhaps getting the flames to be a particle effect from the thrusters would be a good start. Or hell even change it to be like the tesla traps from Apex labs. Not immediate future certainly, there are far too many important things of higher priority to be done, but I don't imagine it would be too ridiculous.

11. jmdajm7

jmdajm7 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I made something like this for myself before, was wondering why you didn't just made the background of the block file transparent? For me that worked perfectly fine without any problems and i didn't had to remove background tiles to get blank space.

Rik likes this.
  12. Belyal

Belyal Tentacle Wrangler

Says the file is not there.. =( is this mod no longer available?

13. Rik

Interesting, I never once thought to add transparency to the block map file, since the entire thing is color coded. Thanks for letting me know, that'll make updating it much easier when the patch comes out.

14. Shinnya

Shinnya Orbital Explorer

Link dosent work. Can you re-upload mod?

15. Darkel

Ok, I tried to conceptualize ship building mechanics. That's what I got.
    You start the game in a massive failing space station with massive hangar in it (done through dropship.structure or shipsave). All of space station blocks and objects are nailed down and can't be destroyed or replaced. You build your custom ship in hangar with blocks and objects provided in special locker/storage box.
    Captain's chair has additional scripts attached to it. First, check if it's first use or not. If it isn't, do normal starmap menu stuff. If it is - do this:
    Check overall ship structure, if it's hermetically sealed (similar to room checking routine from terraria), if it has boosters, fuel hatch and captain's chair placed.
    If ship structure checks out - "undock" from space station. This can be made by simple clearing out space station blocks and objects via script. Also, make all of ship's placeables indestructible.
    Finally, mark in script that you have undocked and show normal starmap menu. Voila.

Afaik, whole concept already can be done through modding, there are some bottlenecks, but nothing impossible.

16. Rik

Interesting concept, I hope the development team changes their standpoint of ships in star-bound and moves away from the boring "everyone has the same ship" concept they're going with now.
    Even if they allowed extendable rooms by prefabricated parts, I'd still find it far too limiting from a creative stand-point.

Lemme look into your idea and see what I can do.
    If I can properly figure out how the save system works, then creating a save editor that can change your ship's block status to unbreakable for all tiles doesn't sound too far fetched. Plus, we could use a proper save editor for the ship and character systems anyways for testing purposes

As for docking though, I don't see any baseline for that currently implemented in the game that could support it, even with scripts.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  17. Irora

Irora Void-Bound Voyager

Permission to make a mod review/show-off for you! I'm asking quite a few modders for there mods and this one looks great.

Here's the channel I will post it to and I will notify you (presuming I get permission of course) http://www.youtube.com/user/dragonblogger

18. Rik

Permission Granted.

19. Darkel

Not docking, but undocking. It will be fake, of course, and I don't know how fast/eyecandy can it be made, but I'm pretty sure it can be made. Even animated, through column by column replacement of blocks.
    Something like this:
    Code:
    -Check stepscounter to see if undocked already
    -if not:
    if timer > 0 then
      timer = timer - 1
    else
      -Move spacestation tiles:
      for x = 1, mapwidth, 1 do
        for y = 0, mapheight, 1 do
          -Check if not within allocated ship space
            -Write tile[x][y] to tile[x-1][y]
        end
      end
      -Move spacestation objects to (Posx - Tilewidth) position

timer = timerspeed
      stepscounter = stepscounter + 1
    end
    So, spaceship doesn't move, it's whole world around it that is being shifted and finally cleared out.

20. Ahmera

Ahmera Void-Bound Voyager

I'd like to recreate some ships from Star Trek. Problem with the current Box is: It's a box. Can you make another version with twice the width but half the height to keep it server-friendly?