Beam to ship restrictions.

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by BlueSmoke, Mar 28, 2014.

?

Do you like this idea?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. NO

29.2%
  3. Not entirely, let me explain (please comment)

20.8%
  1. BlueSmoke

BlueSmoke Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What do you guys think about revamping the beaming system?
    Everybody love the possibility of teleporting to the ship anywhere in the surface of a planet, I like it and I don't want it to be removed from the game.
    But for preventing people to run away from monsters like chickens or canceling boss fights using the beaming mechanic and ruining all the challenge, how about blocking the beam button while in combat?

That would force the player to enter the fight or run away to a safe place, instead of "AW GEEZ I'M SO SCARED *beam to ship before monster even reach you*"

That would be really easy to implement. You know, when you hear the battle theme? That would be the moment to have caution of your decisions.

I know that is possible to simply log out from the game to save your skin, but this is something that anyone can do in almost any survival game out there, I don't see the point of not including this because of that etc.

Please, give your opinion, and sorry for my english.

alphabetsoup and RaffRich like this.
  2. xidioos

xidioos Seal Broken

100% agreed.
    There shouldnt be a mechanism such as this in the middle of combat in such a game, the whole thrill in exploring
    a new mysterious area is that theres alwayz a posibility that your getting in a place or a fight that u might not survive!

Btw i'm having great dificulties wrighting in english and u made perfect sense to me :)

BlueSmoke likes this.
  3. BlueSmoke

Thanks for the reply and the comprehension :rofl:
    Yeah, the point is at exploring a new planet and surviving it. You can't beam in the underground, but the lack of pre generated dungeons make all the mining boring. Me and my friends love to explore the entire surface of a planet, but they beam to the ship when they are in extreme danger. We are playing hardcore, and it is frustrating see them running away xD

4. As requested before this is a nice idea, beaming should not be allowed if you're under combat.

BlueSmoke likes this.
  5. Paradox Effect

Paradox Effect Master Chief

Would you say it's hard to run away from monsters, mini bosses, and bosses? Because it doesn't seem to difficult. It would be quite difficult to implement a foolproof design that gives the player a sense of danger, especially with dash, etc. I like the mechanism, but
    quite a few variables to control :)

6. LordHavoc

LordHavoc Phantasmal Quasar

I like the idea.
    From a technical point of view, rather than the lock kicking in when in combat - which would be difficult to determine; programming-wise. You could have the lock kick in after taking damage which would then last several seconds.

7. Paradox Effect

Paradox Effect Master Chief

Im pretty sure another game has implemented a mechanic like this, it definitely seems like a step up

8. Zanaria

Zanaria Aquatic Astronaut

Actually it is quite hard to actually tell what is considered "in combat" from a programming perspective. Just being in a certain range of enemies would be quite a pain because you could be hidden in cave under the enemy, have never even touched them, and yet be considered in combat.

The problem with taking damage is that some enemies are very hard to get away from, I had a cheat mod with energyless flying in it and yet I couldn't get away from some enemies cause they kept running into me which kept me from even jumping. Not only that, but some boss fights are started without the player even having any idea of what they are getting into. When I first crafted the distress beacon and used it I had no clue what was going to happen. Nor did I know that the base I had made was no protection against it and that the ship, tanks and other enemies would blow it to pieces in moments. Not only that, but no matter how far I ran I could not get away from it. So running is not exactly an option for escaping from fights.

9. BlueSmoke

I have to disagree with you. The battle theme just play when a monster make a attempt to attack you. It's not determined by the distance between the player and the monster. So I can't see any problem with the programming here.
    Also, if you can't run away from a monster and can't fight, you have the option to dig yourself, the enemy won't be able to reach you and he will stop trying to attack you. I use that in extreme situations, it's kinda cool and exciting.
    Oh, anyway, I never had a problem running away from a monster except from the mini bosses.
    Exploring a planet should be more challenging, in a fair way of course.

What do you think?

10. Zanaria

The problem is that digging is not an effective option in some cases as monsters can easily destroy blocks. If you are playing the default game with no mods then digging can be slow, in which case the enemy could destroy any blocks you try and put between yourself and them. And as I said, I have had some of the weakest monsters in the game prevent me from moving at all because they got me trapped between a block and them and whenever I tried to move or jump they hit me again. The early weapons are not strong enough to really kill those enemies very fast, so they can easily kill you.

11. BlueSmoke

Monsters destroying blocks? What? When?
    Normal enemies never destroyed any blocks in all my previous vanilla play sessions. Only bosses are allowed to do that, but it still not even effective! And they SHOULD, for the sake of the challenge.
    I can't understand why are you having so much difficulty running away and beating the weakest monsters in the game. Are you using armor? If your weapons can't easily kill the weakest enemies in a sector, you are doing something wrong. Explore more or craft better weapons for the tier, they are sometimes expensive, but is worth the work ^^

Thanks for your opinion Zanaria

12. Zanaria

I was using the best stuff available early on, and it's flying enemies that shoot an explosive ball that destroys blocks. Also the penguin saucer that appears when you use the distress beacon (yes I know it is a boss) easily destroys block. As I said though, when I first used the beacon I had no idea it would summon a boss, and as such I didn't know my base would be totalled. Enemies should at least have a line of sight to them so they don't go "oh they are there through those 10 layers of blocks, i'll just blast through them.

13. xidioos

xidioos Seal Broken

zanaria if a boss wouldnt have their over powered line of sight then it would be too easy as it is now that they cant go trough blocks or shout block-piercing progectile
    and it would be just too easy to beat'em. AS IT IS NOW.
    theres an easy way to beat all the bosses in this game- make a shelter with a small opening for firing and small opening for a broadsword's swing.
    they cant get to you they cant harm you the only thing they can do is die.
    this game's boss mechanics are already lame and too easy to beat so i dont get how making them that worthless will make the game any more enjoyable =\
    the point is that boss mobs are suposed to be overpowered and if it too you the first boss-summoning item to get that idea than its ok
    cause its only the beggining of the first char expirience for you and from now on you wont start a boss event near your base.

BlueSmoke likes this.
  14. Lifehacker

Lifehacker Seal Broken

This is a great idea. There could be some inspiration from similar mechanics in other games:

1. Elder Scrolls-style restrictions: fast travelling in ES games is blocked when you're in combate; so this is basically the style that the OP is suggesting. No warping in combat.
    2. Fable-style restrictions: if I remember correctly, in Fable there was an ability to teleport back to the Hero's Guild whenever you want, in or out of combat (although not in certain areas), but you had to sort of 'charge' it up by holding down the key for a few seconds. If you got struck by an enemy, the teleport was interrupted and you'd have to start again. This effectively meant you couldn't teleport in combat.

Personally I prefer the second option, as it's less 'artificial'.

BlueSmoke likes this.
  15. BlueSmoke

After all the comments on this thread, I have to admit, the second suggestion would be better and more realistic.
    Let's say that you are in battle with a monster and got sufficient time to teleport to your ship in despair (you knocked the enemy to a hole, he is climbing a hill or something like that). Charging the beam for three/four seconds, for example, would mean that instead you could just have run away or hide yourself, as I previously suggested. It's not that exciting, but it's fair.

How many seconds do you think the tp charge should have? Maybe in higher tiers this charging time could be slightly reduced with upgrades, but I don't see any big problems keeping the same duration for the entire game, since it is not too long.

Thanks for your opinion!!! English is not my main language, sorry about any flaws

Lifehacker likes this.
  16. PhoenixR

PhoenixR Big Damn Hero

I guess chucklefish could go 2 directions with beaming restrictions.
    The could,

1. Require a player to stay still for a few moments while the beaming device "charges",
    or...
    2. Require a player to wait a certain amount of time after taking or delivering damage before beaming up.

In my opinion, option #1 is the most realistic and makes the most sense, because it forces you to be in a safe area from everything, not just combat from mobs, and also allows you to beam while poisoned.
    Option #2 is the most restricting, and could cause problems when stuck on a poison/lava planet where one might be taking damage almost constantly from the status effects present.

17. CrusaderDeleters

CrusaderDeleters Void-Bound Voyager

Poison and Lava damage is different from creature damage because Armor doesn't protect from it.
    You can potentially and easily have option #1 cancel out when you receive damage from a mob, which would simulate option 2.

From a realistic standpoint:
    The beam must be completely precise in order to lift up the person, which the ship and beam cannon would have to adjust itself, taking time.
    If you get hit, the beam would have to continue to readjust, but would shutdown because it knows you would be continually knocked around by a mob.
    If you're in lava, you probably aren't going to survive the damage.
    If you're poisoned, you aren't really going to move.

18. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

No.

From an in game, technical lore standpoint, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to beam up just because you stabbed some random alien animal on a planet.

The problem I have with this is that, for the same reason you've given, if you move around at all, for any reason, not just combat, you shouldn't be able to beam up.

I feel like the purpose of this thread is from people who were annoyed when someone they were PvPing with emergency beamed away to their ship to avoid death.

19. Zanaria

I already said that you are wrong, the very first boss on the very first planet, when you place and use the distress beacon, can and does destroy blocks. So you cannot hide in a shelter from them. I know what I am talking about, my base was 10 blocks underground, the door led out to a small pit that I could then jump out of. I placed the beacon off to the side of my base and the saucer came down and started blasting everything and dropping tanks and penguin soldiers that could also destroy blocks. By the time I killed the saucer (I had to cheat to do so or it would have killed me in the time it took me to kill it with the bow that I had at the time), there was 1 layer of blocks over only half of my base, the rest had been blasted away.

That's 10 blocks that they could see me through and while they couldn't hit me through them, they did blast their way through. That is a bit much, especially when it is the start of the game and most people will be seriously unprepared for it, particularly if they don't go read spoilers about it before they start it.

As for the original topic, the only real fair way to put in a teleport block, would be to have a timer set up to start when you attack something else. It isn't fair to have a timer count from when YOU are hit, because that just means you cant escape from someone else who doesn't care if you wish to pvp or not. However if you initiate the pvp then yes you shouldn't b allowed to just escape. And as the person above me mentions, yes that should also only take effect if you attack another player or a boss. You shouldn't be prevented from teleporting If you accidentally hit some creature.

20. PhoenixR

PhoenixR Big Damn Hero

And why shouldn't they be?
    A system that requires you to be standing still/not taking damage prevents one from abusing the teleport function, increasing the danger of encounters.
    It makes the game a little harder when every encounter becomes a possible life or death situation.
    Being able to just teleport away when the fight isn't going your way takes out a bit of the danger.

Besides, it makes the movement techs like dash all the more valuable if you are playing a character with a thief-like tech build, as you can quickly retreat from danger (WITHOUT abusing the teleport function)

---------------
    Edit: Some people seem to be misunderstanding me here. I'm not trying to force my view on anyone, I don't feel like I have implied that at all here. I would just like for people to think about the implications of allowing an OSHI-! button.
    It means there are no consequences to not being cautious. A sort of system built like this does not reward players for fighting smart instead of just chargin' targin in, because one can just teleport out of any dangerous situation.

Allowing for the teleport function to exist in it's current form does keep it unobtrusive, however, as you do not have to wait for the beam to 'charge', so it does have some value.

Maybe, in order to facilitate those who wish for such little nuisances such as waiting to beam and respawn to be eliminated, a 4th game mode could be created where such options could be turned off and on in order to customize one's level of difficulty?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    BlueSmoke likes this.