Base Defenses In Depth

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Irora, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Irora

Irora Void-Bound Voyager

I know I know there have been other articles based upon these topics, I will add there ideas in later. I hope to make a collective and community list of ideas we would like to see on regard to these topics.

POWER

Power Storage Facilities
    So for this idea, players can build a storage facility for their accumulated joules of energy, the storage facility has three upgrades, Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 the difference between each is that Mk1 is the worst and Mk3 being the best. When upgrading player's will see that the facility will be able to store more energy and also will be able to "link" to more machinery.

Solar Panels
    Solar Panels again work in Mk1,2,3 with each upgrade increasing the tethers to receivers and also increases the efficiency of the joules generated. Obviously if something like this is added to the game then the amount of joules generated for basics would have to be balanced with other power options so would have to be decided by the devs.

Lava Generator
    lava generators work by being placed above source blocks, they work by capturing the steam and heat given off by the lava and turning a turbine inside the generator thus providing an electrical current which can be tethered to the power supply facility.

Linking
    As we saw in the building tutorial, it seems that to connect something you can "link" it by clicking on the command giver and the command receiver for instance a power generator and a drill. My idea is that when you upgrade your power blocks you can link more thinks to that block, So an Mk1 Power Storage Facility can output it's power to more blocks because it can tether to more blocks since it has more "linking" capability, here is a picture to explain (sorry for my terrible pixel art!)
    [​IMG]

Mk1 Blocks can tether to 3 receivers
    Mk2 Blocks can tether to 6 receivers
    Mk3 Blocks can tether to 12 receivers

Computers
    I like the ideas presented by user, The Thing and I highly recommend reading this post, "http://community.playstarbound.com/...d-computer-and-wire-system.18040/#post-736774" I think to power a computer you would have to tether it to a power supply facility.

Link Pinger
    A Link Pinger is an idea I had when looking at tethering options. I think that is the "link" was in place, which I believe (from looking at the building demo) it is. The pinger can be placed near a generator or any device that can link and works when right clicked, when right clicked a frequency chooser pops up, players can choose the frequency it runs on. The generator is then linked to the pinger. Now what happens is that if you have a power supply facility or any other block for that matter far away from the generator the pinger at the generator can connect to a pinger by the power supply facility as long as it is on the same frequency, thus allowing a link to be created by a receiver and connector from a far distance! Here is another terribly drawn illustration.
    [​IMG]

MORE UPDATES TO COME ^^ :)
    Simple Traps
    These traps can range from various things and I will try to add basic ones and more complex ones.

Spikes

These can be placed and can be seen by anyone, they do damage when a player walks on them.

Piston Spike Trap
    This can be used like a normal spike trap except it can be pushed and also flung. They can be pushed by objects such as a piston and also can be flung from certain machines (like something compared to a dispenser from minecraft)

Dart Launcher
    We all know really what this does and I imagine lots of us have seen those times in movies where the action hero darts across a long and old room where thousands of small darts pierce the air and fly at our never dying hero. Well that's what I would like. Also I think when it is right clicked it will bring up a gui where you can add darts into the "storage sections " of the launcher.

Dart Strengths
    Darts should have different strengths which will change certain factors and below in dart types you will see what I mean. To make different strengths you take the dart and mix it in "power pots" this is a special type of potion that can be applied to darts and it will increase the special effects of the dart. Like for instance the Nausea Dart when using a power pot with it the amount of damage will increase as well as the time it lasts.
    I would love to say how to make it but it would be quite impossible as we know nothing about the names of monsters or confirmed items.

Dart Types
    Here is a list of dart types I think could work.

Normal Darts
    Your cannon fodder, easy to make.

Poison Darts
    These Will Poison the target for x amount of damage and y time all depending on the strength of the poison.

Nausea Darts
    These will slow the target again for x amount of damage and y time all depending on the strength of the poison.

High Impact Darts
    These will do an incredible amount of damage on hit but all damage done in the next y seconds will be reduced by x amount depending on the strength of the dart.

Force fields
    This could be a players key defense it works by using up players electricity which could be stored in a Force Field Battery Box or something like that. The Force field keeps players out and players in. To get out players could link a stopper to the force field which would temporarily shut the shields down and players can set the amount of time like 4 seconds etc. Different types of Force fields could include:

Harming force fields
    anything that touches gets hurt, this would also use much more power when on.

Teleporter force fields
    anything that touches it gets teleported away preventing enemies effectively.

Camo force fields
    These make your base invisible but use up incredible amounts of energy that a nuclear plant will not be able to keep this running. It makes your base invisible and enemies will not see it. This can be programmed to let who can see it by typing in names of friends and could also have integration for clan members.

Vehicle force fields
    This was posted as an idea by TTCBuilder where only vehicles are stopped by the force field. They could possbily be under down time where they stop working for a period of time.

To shut down a Force field players can use multiple options.

Draining the energy by firing weapons at the Force field, weapons like a Bazooka will drain more.
    Cutting the energy to the field will cause the battery to eventually run out.
    Use E.M.P weapons and items this will send out a pulse which will destroy all Energy outputs in the area for 10 seconds.

Turrets and Missile Silos
    While Force fields may stop a player getting in, you preferably don't want them lingering there long and that is where these bad boys come in. I will only list a few examples but will try to go in depth with them.

Machine Gun Turret
    The machine gun turret is your standard turret and can easily be destroyed by enemy gun fire and also emps. They need to be powered and do not consume much electricity. To use them they need to be supplied with artillery bullets which are upgraded bullets that have bigger shells. They do a fair amount of damage but are slow and can be targeted easily.

Laser Tactical Turret
    These are highly dangerous and can kill quickly. Highly advanced these turrets convert electricity into photon particles and then fire at the enemy. There downfall is their long charge time but once charged will leave your enemies in a pile of dust. They will consume vast amounts of electricity and with out sufficient power sources the cannon will not fire and will be destroyed

Z-Grade Missile

These Missiles can be made with decent resources and have a long reload time they are heat seeking so will lock to the nearest heat signal. These can be programmed so they do not fire at friendlies and they do moderate damage to enemies.

A-Grade Missile
    Straight from the Galactic Market these bad boys will leave a crater in the ground, they will lock on and track heat but can be fooled by other heat senders. They have a big range but have a big reload time. This can fire in all directions and also is programmable

Security Cameras and Tracers

Cameras
    They can be place on ceiling and walls and relay all video footage back to monitors. The camera can be upgraded to feature different solutions. Can flash to scare enemies. Can spray pepper spray which blinds enemies for a few seconds. Can stun them so they cannot move. The cameras can also be set up with a small turret which does minimum damage.

Tracers
    Tracers are placed on floors, when an enemy steps onto it they relay a map which shows in the direction the enemy is going. They can relay onto maps and will show the direction and also show how fast (for instance speed:running)

Trip Wires
    Trip Wires are used by placing on a lower wall from one end of a wall to another or on a back wall. They can do various things like freeze an enemy when they snap the wire, hurt an enemy by electrocuting them and also trip up an enemy. They can also ping a message back to the maker of the trap to tell them it has gone off.

FoE System
    FoE stands for Friend or Enemy. It is a simple device that is a 3 part system. The 3 devices are 2 point of intersection relays and a main control box. To use it a player places the two point of intersection boxes at the start and end of a players base from the back to front. They then place the main box inside the area of the points. Then when right clicking the Main box it will give you an option to link with the 2 boxes on each end. When connected it will then display options. The main option is to add friends names onto the database. When you add a friend to the database all Base security precautions will give your friend a code green. When a friend has code green status they will not get attacked by any of the players defenses and are regarded as an ally to the player. This allows for defenses to know who to attack and who not to attack.

Nano Bots
    Nano Bots stay stationary under normal conditions. When enemies attack any of a bases structures the place is put in a code red and the bots become alive. They will fly through the air and will go to where the code originated they have small turrets mounted and are capable or sending live footage of the enemies to a monitor.

Where will we be able to make these?
    I think that all of these should be made in a machinery section of either your ship or in your base. They would take a long time to make but can all be customized a lot like the laser colour to purple or blue etc. Also when the first has been made there should be an option where you can mass produce a few and that would cost less resources.
    This would tie in nicely with mechs also.
    I appreciate comments like and also suggestions! :) Any good suggestions will be added to the OP. Lets try and build a nice big article with loads of ideas. Thanks guys - Irora

2. Epicousity

Epicousity Subatomic Cosmonaut

1 word... AWESOME

Kroghammer and Vesuvia like this.
  3. Irora

Irora Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks!

4. Timothy the Wise

Timothy the Wise Master Chief

This is pretty freaking amazing. I would like to question the the general "invisibility" token. That has the ability to make the game rather gimmicky without actually adding all too much to the actual gameplay.

5. Irora

Irora Void-Bound Voyager

At first, I thought the invisibility would ruin the game but when I added it I would think that since it needs so much energy that it would only be up for a few minutes at all really before needing to re charge

6. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

This is pretty well thought out and I think it'd be a great addition to the game but we don't know how power will work or what power sources there will be yet.

7. Irora

Irora Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, Thanks! We will have to wait and see what kind of electricity they implement.

8. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

I likes them base options. I SENSE A LABYRINTH OF DOOM IN THE MAKING!

9. Blazerer

Blazerer Void-Bound Voyager

While I like the base options a lot 4 things:

1)
    Both completely overpowered, as the first would nearly never run out of energy and the second could easily be hooked up to a second reactor.

2) You spend a lot of time on the base, but way too little on power supply. Think if different kinds of energy collectors, think on how to transport and store it etc. etc.

3)
    Is this a manual process? Can it be automated?

4) A rather small one. I prefer the term IFF over FoE, as it's the universal term for systems like that.

10. Irora

Irora Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks, I will change those points accordingly and I will spend some time later making my views on supply and storage it's nice for some constructive criticism! :D

11. Kab

Kab Space Spelunker

These all seem difficult to setup, maybe add some low-end things as well, like the ability to make simple spike traps, as in step on a bit of sand and fall through it into a pit with spikes, alot faster to setup, one-use only before needs resetting but nice to have when you find yourself camping outside in the dark nowhere near your base.
    (You'd want the fall-through sand to restrict visibility beneath it somehow as to hide the fact that theres a hollow area underneath)

12. Irora

Irora Void-Bound Voyager

Will do Kab, Thanks for the input! It's much appreciated ;D

13. Blazerer

Perhaps you might want to try using the Indent option to make the post a bit less of a wall of text?

So main topic
    - Sub topic 1​
    - Sub topic 2​
    - Explanation sub topic 2.​
    Etc. etc.

You can do this by using the 7th button from the right, with the blue paragraph. The button on the left Outdents it.

I suddenly got the image of a person walking in a corridor, when suddenly a hatch opens and a ballista becomes visible...joy! I realise the darts are better though, so good choice.

14. Irora

Irora Void-Bound Voyager

Ok I'll try that later, I'll also add some things about supplies.

Blazerer likes this.
  15. Blazerer

Heya, I was wondering how the supplies were coming along. I'm interested to see what you're going to add. keep up the good work!

16. Irora

Irora Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks, Ill add them today, I have had many many exams this week!

17. Rocksta37

Rocksta37 Phantasmal Quasar

I approve of every one of your ideas.

18. Blazerer

ah, no hurries. Real life always comes first. Just wondering that is all ^^

19. Irora

Irora Void-Bound Voyager

Thankyou!

20. YuIsBlind

YuIsBlind Aquatic Astronaut

Good job