Advanced computer and wire system

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by The Thing, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Attached Files:

Artem, Shotgun75, Tleno and 10 others like this.
  2. Konnan1

Konnan1 Aquatic Astronaut

Sounds legit. X3

I like cats also.
    :catface::catface::catface:

3. Buckstabu

Buckstabu Orbital Explorer

Now question. Couldn't this cause griefing? I just place my computer and wire things to everyones stuff and no one can do anything about it because I know the pass code?

4. The Thing

Well yes, grief could be caused this way, but also, if you already connected everything and passworded it, grieffer cannot remove anything anymore so it work both ways.
    Also, with the server tools the dev are going to put in, there might be ways to prevent or fix that like a admin force removing the password.

5. Buckstabu

I suppose, but what if I'm setting up all of the things to be wired before I start wiring it all, and the griefer just starts wiring everything before i can get to it.

6. The Thing

Well... you know, there is a point were you got to stop worring so much about grieffing. I mean, what do you do if a grieffer start puting lava everywere and making a total mess of the server? You remove the lava? He start shooting at everything with explosive? Remove any explosive? If you keep that sort of thinking up, not much is left by the end. Now please let's not derail this thread to how to prevent grieffing straight from the second post? I will welcome any suggestion to the actual system.

Edit : Make a better fool-proof system, they will make better fools. Grieffer will grief no matter what you give them, the best solution is to simply ban them as you catch them.

7. Buckstabu

I'm not saying to totally eliminate them, I'm just saying, I can get rid of some lava. I can patch uop some holes, but I can't fix a computer that can only be remofed by the palcer. It's like, the ultimate griefing tool. Place something they don't possess the ability to remove,

KuroHinotori likes this.
  8. The Thing

As I said, server administrator rights to force remove the password. The whole idea of being able to preotect everything with a password is to prevent grieffer from simply removing part of the system to just destroy all the work you put on it. Sort of like how breaking a sign with a lot of text on in Terraria is cause of grief enough. I think it's easier the remove the possible grief it provide than repair destroyed system grief. And this can also be used to keep grieffer out of the area since you can effectivly prevent anyone without the proper password from entering. See that last part I added about block protection device for protection agains digging trough walls.

9. TFGoose

TFGoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is a neat idea, basically being a MUCH more complex wiring/control system than what we've seen previously. I'm not as concerned about griefing as I plan to mainly play with RL friends and people from the forums here that I've grown to trust rather implicitly. Could still happen I suppose, but as you'd said here, that's what the ban hammer is for. :)

Anyway, I could see something like this getting implemented as a mod, or an "after-release" official update. What's cool about it is it seems very expandable, in that people could continue to think up new "fonctions" and incorporate them.

10. The Thing

Glad you like it. And yeah, the whole query builder idea and style I took from a cartographie program named ArcMap. The query builder is used to look for entry in the databases that can by time contain gazilions of entries. This and a little bit of the dialogue effect wizard they had in the module editor for Neverwinter Night 1. You could code in the command line yourself if you knew what you where doing or you could use the wizard to do simples things like trigger an effect, edit the player journal, give rewards etc.
    (Actually, I'll try finding some screen of that query builder, this could help show what I mean)

Edit : there we go. This is the query builder taken from the ArcmapTM program. In the present image, the builder is used to find all lines in a database who have both the entry Brazil in the country column and a number above 500000 in the population column. On the left side, population is currently selected, so on the right side, we have all the value listed in that column so they can be used in the built line. In this exemple, it is very probable that the only thing entered manualy by the used was the number. The rest is written by the program when you double click on the desired field, value or operator (=, and, or) This is pretty much how I picture this working for my idea except the values would instead by states and actions.
    query_builder_dialog.gif

11. A wiring system it's already confirmed for this game, now with advanced computing?
    If it's a good idea for make more complex this yes. If it yes complex enough to cause performance in the servers since the calculations it would require, Yes.
    I would be happy enough for a Wiring System with Sensors, triggers, buttons, interrupters, effects, for can make special automated things in our servers!

12. The Thing

There would be very minimal "calculation" implied. Really the most complexe you can get to is a chain of true or false statement and those are brought up only when the system is used.
    The most ressource using process I can see this creating is when you try to set up a system using a very high amount of linked items since the game would need to go and check everyone of them to make his list. After that initial work tough, it should run without any effect on the game.

13. We must be and run our servers and everything in the beta for see how is it going to be and how does it feel, if I see servers running smooth enough with +20 players they more complex things as this can be added... ^^

14. NinjaBoffin

NinjaBoffin Big Damn Hero

A Lengthy post i must say, but a very interesting idea!
    The guys at chucklefish should really add this in, and if they don't, i swear to God i will make this into a mod!
    (Well, not as advanced in the beginning, but i'll keep working on it!)

The Thing likes this.
  15. The Thing

Well, if you are able to make this into a mod I would be immensly gratefull to you. But yes, I would really love to see this being supported by the dev.

As for the length of it, it's made worst by the fact that I'm really bad at making short and simple sentences and explanations in general. If anyone better at this than me would help that would make me very happy.
    For now this is a mess of unsorted ideas.

16. NinjaBoffin

Well i had an idea to make something like this into a Starbound mod if it's not going to be in the game.
    You just happened to have made a whole thread with Detail (lots of it) and that got me interested!

The Thing likes this.
  17. The Thing

Great! I am reworking the main post right now and I might even include some (poorly drawn in MSPaint) images to explain stuff.
    I do not often make my own suggestion, but when I do, I make a complete and descriptive one. ;)

NinjaBoffin likes this.
  18. TheTimeLord

TheTimeLord Existential Complex

Pretty great idea. Hope this will get in, release or post-release.
    One question.
    Will you be able to control a whole city (one that covers a whole planet) using just one computer or multiple?
    For example, if I had a city, will I be able to activate all defenses and security from the main control room?

19. NinjaBoffin

Well, if your whole city is connected by there wires, I can't see why you can't have a central computer bringing it all together! :)

20. The Thing

Pretty much yes but you would need to set up everything to work that way. Could be very long and complexe.
    This is sort of what I tought this whole thing for. Controling a large station from a single or few places. I am planning on making one big exemple of a hiearchised system for a base once I'm done with the re-editing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.