1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

edit: okay, so starting to come up with items that need
    descriptions, is there a guideline for how the other races see the avali? The wiki has some stuff on how the avali see the others, and hints on how the others would see the avali.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

If you just wait til next patch you'll have piles of item descriptions to rummage through :p

Generally though I'd been playing it it the end of:
    • Apex: Showing interest in the technical side of things, often can recognise what tech is.
    • Avian: Often have little idea what they're looking at, differing so greatly from resonance crystal tech. Frequently draw comparisons between other aspects of culture.
    • Floran: Usually way off the mark, like declaring a railgun to be a 'ssssshiny club', though often excited over the discovery.
    • Glitch: Various responses
    • Human: Often snarky, other times comment on similarities in tech (Since Avali tech is derived from it)
    • Hylotl: Flop bipolar between snide disregard, and excitement to bring things home as souvenirs
    • Avali: Relatively straight forward explanation or how or why their stuff is designed that way
    ie. looking at one of their hunting lances in a rack:
    • "apexDescription" : "A lance is an odd choice of hunting weapon for such small creatures. How do they get enough force behind it?",
    • "avianDescription" : "Well of course, their hunters know the value of a good spear too!",
    • "floranDescription" : "*Gasp* Yesyesyesyes BESSSSST SSSSSPEAR EVER!!!",
    • "glitchDescription" : "Pride. Our spears display superior craftsmanship",
    • "humanDescription" : "Seems they havn't stopped being savages yet.",
    • "hylotlDescription" : "The design is a little utilitarian for my tastes.",
    • "avaliDescription" : "Traditional hunters leap onto their prey from above and use gravity drive the lance into them.",

I'm expecting I'll be making their mecha a little less like a battlemechs or gundams, and more like powered combat armour (NSFW)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  3. DionZeromus

DionZeromus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sounds like a lot of fun to be had!

I've been enjoying the mod, and watching the threadage... I really hope that the 'tweaked' models for the armors come out well. Sure, it'd add more material to the content to begin with, especially as each of the 'standard' metal armors would need to have an Avali version designed and then packaged as a replacement for the original version, but it definitely would feel more united in terms of progression!

Myself, I'd like to see more of the Avali's individual apparel and more advanced gear look like. I'm very much curious how a high-tech nomadic society would handle those kinds of things and the results they come up with!

4. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

I've been curious, with who knows how long it'll be until Starbound gets rebalanced past Tier 5, how long will we be using the Tier 1-3/5 (when it gets to that point in mod development) weapons and armor? Wouldn't it be easier to add the Tier 6-10 armor and weapons and then when everything is rebalanced to just tweak the numbers to match the numbers then?

5. fusioniz

fusioniz Aquatic Astronaut

why does my starbound hangs when i start this new character?it says client server connection no longer valid

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Check the file starbound.log. There's a few possibilities here.

7. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I'm guessing you havn't ever actually made an armour set from scratch right? ;) - 1 set of armour requires more sprite sheets than adding a new gender :p - there's nothing "easy" about pre-emptively making 7 sets of armour that may or may not actually be needed. At any rate, if you check the roadmap, my next goal after the settlement update (Which is already collosal), is to add more armour types and weapons as well as more clothes.

Please be patient I only have a finite number of limbs! :p

As Kawa said, attach your starbound log file so we can see the exact error.

8. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Set impulse engines to hype

[​IMG]

9. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

No hype-ade can stop this hype-ade runner

10. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Okay, I get it. What about weapons or at the very least shields? The Avali are the only race to get craftable shields and I'm pretty sure higher tier shields block more damage and that goes a long way to surviving on say, a Sector X planet Floran Dungeon where you get hit for 400 damage without a shield.

11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

12. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

I been up all night, I think under those circumstances I'd be allowed to accidentally skip a line of a post.

13. Strazyplus

Strazyplus Big Damn Hero

Ok its end of the week, we will soon pull out our picket signs and demand a update!

with all joking aside, looks like a cool update is on our way :D
    perhaps one more week or less :giggle:

14. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

I probably missed it, but given how fast this thread is moving and how I'm groggy from not getting any sleep and exhausted from shoveling more snow, I'll ask anyway. What are the possible racial armor set bonuses for when the mechanic gets patched in?

15. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

Ryuujin you really know how to make a girl's morning ^.=.^

Also, thanks for the item ideas!

16. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Ketchup Robot

ugh... why did that sound... wrong to me :rofl: *argh get your head out of the gutter*

I totally understand your pain... I had to shovel my way to the barn today to do animals, I'm house sitting for my uncle by watching his animals, feeding and watering... I will be glad once he comes back.

17. Levrix

Levrix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Its scheduled for next week guys, don't start marching to Ryuujin's tent with Lances yet. :p

18. Strazyplus

Strazyplus Big Damn Hero

I just love that video of hl2 riots, he said they were friendly, pfft not so...

19. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

Prepare to have your jimmies rustled!

"description" : "Catalina Industries Inc, Official 3D dispenser.",
    "shortdescription" : "Catalina Official Dispenser(TM).",
    "race" : "generic",
    "category" : "crafting",
    "price" : 200,

"apexDescription" : "It appears to be an Avalon company's 3D printer.",
    "avianDescription" : "Even their logos offend Klux.",
    "floranDescription" : "Boring ssstuff goes in. Ssshiny ssstuff comes out!",
    "glitchDescription" : "Intrige. What manner of creature can wear these items?",
    "humanDescription" : "I guess big corporations are universal.",
    "hylotlDescription" : "Ugh, mass production is so ugly.",
    "avaliDescription" : "A Catalina dispenser, useful."

One step closer to taking over the universe. ^.=.^

20. Silavor

Silavor Pangalactic Porcupine

Immunity to cold was one of the main ideas being thrown around. It really depends on how Chucklefish handles the other racial bonuses, to be honest. Ryuu is very keen to maintain racial parity above all else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.