1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

ATTN: Windows XP users who cannot play "CF splash screen freeze"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DotBeta, Dec 5, 2013.

1. FIX UPDATES ARE IN POST #2. A WORK AROUND HAS BEEN FOUND CHECK POST #2 FOR INFO!!

Please read this before posting

I'd like to start with me saying that I am in the same boat as all of you fellow XP users and I am very saddened by the fact that XP was not supported this early into the Beta for reasons beyond me. I have been trying everything under the sun to find a work around and figure out why the game will not load for us past the chuckle fish splash screen.

What we know:

I was listening on the twitch stream earlier before it went offline in hopes of hearing about a fix or work around when I heard Molly say to Kyren that people were mentioning the game freezing during the Chucklefish splash screen. Kyren said the reason it's not loading on XP is because on older machines it takes forever to load because of the way the game extracts files, and they forgot to add a progress bar on the splash screen for loading so we assume it's freezing when its actually loading. On older hard drives it will go VERY Slowly and they will not be able to fix it until they get to revising the PAC files.

1.Updating VC++ redist files doesn't resolve the problem.
    2.Steam launch commands do not help.
    3.Turning off in game steam community doesn't resolve the problem.
    4.verifying game file cache doesn't resolve the problem.
    5.reinstalling the game does not resolve the problem.
    6. Letting the program sit at the Chucklefish splash screen for more than 5-10 minutes in an attempt to load the game doesn't work.

What doesn't make sense.

Why is it only happening to people running windows XP? Granted there have been a handful of cases on Windows 7 but that has been remedied by running it in compatibility mode as Windows Vista. I really do not see this as being a problem with hardware compatibility and being more of an actual OS bug because of reasons I will mention further below.

What can we do about it?

We should use this thread to list our computers specs in an effort to help the devs figure out why we cannot play and hopefully receive a fix as soon as possible, also please post your logs.

WIndows XP SP3
    2Gb DDR2 Ram
    EVGA 1GB 9400GT video card
    1TB SATA Western Digital Hard Drive
    Intel Pentium Dual core Processor 2.4GHZ

Are there any work arounds for us?

There are a couple I can think of that aren't so much work arounds but methods you may not want to pursue, but if you are desperate enough to go for it or aren't patient, it will work until the XP problem is resolved. Also if you can think of anything we can try then please post it here.

TAKE MY WORD WITH A GRAIN OF SALT RESULTS WILL VARY

A very viable work around has been found the fixes the crash and does not need the cores to be fiddled with.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/attn-windows-xp-users-who-cannot-play-cf-splash-screen-freeze.35401/page-10#post-1416418
    follow the link and good luck!

AcronLyra has discovered a workaround for the current crash problem, setting the core affnity to 0 on starbound.exe in task manager as the game launches fixes the crashing issue! This may not work for everyone.

1. Upgrade your Windows XP OS to 7 or 8 - This will fix your freezing problem and allow the game to load, this is why I do not think its a hardware problem and simply an OS incomapitibility issue.

2. Install Unbuntu 13.10 to run along windows XP or in a virtual machine. - This has been tested by a few people and has worked. A bit of messing with the settings will have to be done.

These are currently the only work arounds I know of. I hope a developer will chime into this thread with a better explanation of what's going on and will give us an ETA on a fix. Until then please post your computers specs. I will also be revising this post as more info comes in.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. Update 12/6:

A very viable work around has been found the fixes the crash and does not need the cores to be fiddled with.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/attn-windows-xp-users-who-cannot-play-cf-splash-screen-freeze.35401/page-10#post-1416418
    follow the link and good luck!

Tiy has updated the main page regarding todays update

http://playstarbound.com/coming-tonight-6-december/

- Major work has gone into making the game work correctly onto windows XP (done, needs testing)

Looks like it's been fixed and ready for testing in tonight's update. In the meanwhile:

AcronLyra has discovered a workaround for the current crash problem, setting the core affnity to 0 on starbound.exe in task manager as the game launches fixes the crashing issue! This may not work for everyone.

An update was released last night that included a few little fixes for us XP users, the game now crashes instead of freezes and gives an error code. Tiy mentioned on his main page post that hopefully we will have a fix today or tomorrow. Please post your error codes and stack traces in hopes of finding a fix sooner than later!

https://twitter.com/bartwerf/status/409029176667029504
    Update 12/5:

Bartwe replied on his twitter acknowledging the problem. He has started using an XP test machine to find and fix the issue, he can now get past the splash screen but it crashes. Regardless this is a step in the right direction! Let's hope we get a fix soon.

https://twitter.com/bartwerf/status/408609350886776832

https://twitter.com/bartwerf/status/408599721662369792

https://twitter.com/bartwerf/status/408580795654086656
    Update 12/4:

Murdog inquired about the situation we're experiencing on the Starbound IRC and Tiy replied acknowledging the problem,saying that it is currently being worked on & it's not perma-broken. We will hopefully be playing on our rigs sooner than later!

http://puu.sh/5CtN4.png
    http://puu.sh/5CtVp.png

Sit tight! All further info regarding a fix will be in this post.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    iibcddccs, Sparksol and ASANGO like this.
  3. jezuitx

jezuitx Pangalactic Porcupine

You realize you're running a dinosaur of an operating system right? You realize that NO ONE is developing anything for XP now and that this game probably isn't working well because of this? It's time to upgrade...seriously it's time. Windows 7 is just as solid as XP and everything still supports it.

GravyonTurkey likes this.
  4. WMoose

WMoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This absolutely needs to be stickied asap.

5. TheTimeLord

TheTimeLord Existential Complex

I'm still surprised people have Windows XP after all these years.

Rainbow Dash likes this.
  6. S. P. Gardebiter

S. P. Gardebiter Master Chief

Interesting how you tell me to update when every other game works, just Starbound doesn't do.

7. WMoose

WMoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Guy, it's pretty easy to tell people to just drop a couple 100 bucks on new hardware and a new OS, but some people like myself just can't afford a new build to accomodate things like this. What would be better and more constructive would be to link some places where they can legally obtain these upgrades, or start a help thread so charitable folks can provide assistance. It is Christmas in the US afterall.

8. SpaceApple

SpaceApple Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Windows XP SP3
    3.25GB DDR2 Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GT 220
    500GB SATA HDD
    Intel Core2 CPU 6300 (1.86GHz, 2 cores)

Not everyone has the option to upgrade without pirating their new OS.
    Starbound uses OpenGL and DirectX 9 as far as I know so there is no reason for it to not work on XP.

Xbox 360 uses DirectX 9 and most AAA games on PC are console ports so they also use DirectX 9. Until recently, there was no reason to upgrade unless you're buying or building a new PC. As WIndows 7 becomes harder to buy because of Microsoft pushing Windows 8, you'll see more people complaining about lack of Windows XP support. Windows 8 is designed for touch screens and seemed to have horrible mouse lag when I tried it. Anything that requires a mouse was unplayable.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  9. ancientterror

ancientterror Poptop Tamer

woah woah woah woah woah woah woah. XP is great!

Sparksol, kentelljd, ASANGO and 3 others like this.
  10. If I can play Hearthstone, Risk of Rain , Don't Starve and multiple other indie games on my pc that were released this year as well as some higher performance demanding games like Skyrim, I dont see why Starbound would be any different. I'm not disagreeing with you when you say it's an old OS, I recommended upgrading your operating system if you didn't bother reading the OP. I'm just saying it's unfortunate, that a lot of people will be left out of the beta phase because they have to buy a new OS now.

Besides do you know just how many people have purchased this game that are running on windows XP? This game was running on Tiy's Mac Book Air, it should run on anything, that was one of the key selling points imo were the low requirements.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    ganzu125, Kitty Box, Eradrann and 2 others like this.
  11. Pingeh

Pingeh Pangalactic Porcupine

12. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Also closing and trying again works after a few times. I should state that.

Win 7.

13. S. P. Gardebiter

S. P. Gardebiter Master Chief

Windows XP SP3
    3.25 GB DDR3 Ram 1066 MHz
    AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor 3.01 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
    2 TB SATA 3 WDC HDD

DotBeta and murdog like this.
  14. murdog

murdog Orbital Explorer

winXP SP3
    geforce 9600 GT
    3.25 gigs ram
    1tb hard drive
    everything updated

also all u people saying update SHUT UP AND GO PLAY YOUR GAME YOUR NOT NEEDED HERE THIS IS TO POST FOR PEPOLE WITH XP

people use it for indie games get over it we dont all play aaa tittles on pc and we dont have have money to just upgrade

GO AWAY GO PLAY YOUR GAME AND/OR SHUT UP AND LET US POST INFORMATION RELATIVE TO THE TOPIC

15. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Chill man. I'm sure there will be a solution soon. There always is.

DotBeta likes this.
  16. murdog

murdog Orbital Explorer

DID U NOT READ A THING BEFORE POSTING NOT ONE THING HONESTLY WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU I DONT THINK THE TOPIC COULD OF BEEN CLEARLY WE DONT CARE U GOT IT WORKING U ARE USING WINDOWS 7 SOOOOOOOO go PLAY your GAME AND STOP POSTING IN PLACES MARKED CLEARLY XP

17. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

I just thought that it would also help your case being as we both run windows. And once again I say, chill.

18. foefaller

foefaller Void-Bound Voyager

XP SP3 32 bit
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core - 3.21 Ghz
    Geforce GT520
    4 GB RAM

DotBeta and murdog like this.
  19. Sheogoraz

Sheogoraz Master Chief

As others said, it's not about XP being too old. It's about having bought a product and expecting it to work on our system, since Chucklefish never said anything about problems with Windows XP before beta release. I'm fine with games requiring a new OS (like Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs, or the new Hitman), but we should know about that stuff before having paid for the game, otherwise it could be considered false advertising.
    So I hope this gets fixed ASAP.
    Anyhoo, here are my specs :

WIndows XP SP3
    GeForce GT 440
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
    3.11 GHz, 2Gb DDR2 RAM

DotBeta likes this.
  20. Ceruleanhead

Ceruleanhead Void-Bound Voyager

I though upgrading to Win. 7 from XP was free???