1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

ATTN: Windows XP users who cannot play "CF splash screen freeze"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DotBeta, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Xenoprophet_Nail

Xenoprophet_Nail Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally it hasn't worked for me, I hope the next one addresses XP user issues.

2. Zoro the Gallade

Zoro the Gallade Big Damn Hero

XP user here...update did nothing as far as I can tell, Chucklefish is still chuckling at me.

3. rditto48801

rditto48801 Void-Bound Voyager

I downloaded the update.

Tried Starbound again (posted on another thread previously), this time it took a minute between 'launch starbound' on the launcher to actually having the Chucklefish logo pop up, and promptly 'freeze'. Taskmanager shows it is stuck at 1,270 MB, which I guess is an improvement of where it usually freezes up at around 644 MB before the patch. After letting sit like 5 minutes, RAM usage went up all of 8 KB, CPU usage still read zero....
    Even 'show desktop' won't close the window... I just got a bunch of 'leftovers' from stuff (task manager, a chat window, etc) 'stuck' where the Starbound screen should be, since the graphics mess up when it freezes. Only the taskbar still shows.
    Heck, even Steam froze up for a few moments (and then minimized) when I was trying to get Starbound closed via Taskmanager.

The short log
    Info: Preparing Star::Root...
    Info: Creating default Star::Configuration
    Info: Done preparing Star::Root.
    Info: Client version 'Beta v. Perturbed Koala' '615' '418'
    Info: Starting from the title screen
    Info: Initialized SDL
    Info: Initialized SDL Video
    Info: Initialized SDL Joystick
    Info: Initialized SDL Sound
    Info: Opened default audio device with 44khz / 16 bit stereo audio, 2048 sample size buffer
    Info: Initializing SDL Window
    Info: Created initial window 1024x768
    Info: Initializing SDL Window
    Info: Re-created window 1024x708
    Warn: Slow asset 0.052 : /sfx/cinematics/man_laugh.ogg
    Warn: Perf: StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop millis: 205
    Info: Loading Star::Root...

My specs
    Windows XP Home 32 bit SP3.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.71GHz. (No OC)
    4GB (3.25 GM RAM usable for 32 bit) (Dual Channel DDR2 2x2 GB 800Mhz)
    Soundblaster Audigy SE (some programs seem to report it as something like Soundblaster Live 24 bit)
    HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ w/ 512 DDR3 VRAM (with beta drivers, since the last 'stable' drivers don't like one of my other games)
    500 GB SATA HDD

4. Pelican

Pelican Starship Captain

Windows 7 is not an update to Windows XP but an entirely different operating system. It was produced more recently and is more expensive; notice that none of these things are equivalent to "better."

I was able to play the game for a few hours last night (had the afternoon off work to enjoy the beta but couldn't) on my work laptop with Win 7. The gaming rig with 3 GB ram and 2.4 GHz quad core that runs XP had no such luck.

Eradrann and KamiAmaya like this.
  5. ledzepdavo

ledzepdavo Void-Bound Voyager

I' have windows XP SP3 Pentium (R) Dual Core CPU E5300 @ 2,6GHz 2,60 GHz 2 Gb RAM

DirectX 9.0c and a graphic target ATI Radeon HD 4350.

And the game crash in the chuklefish logo

It is a game problem ? or it happens beacuse of my system specs ?

6. ArchonLyra

ArchonLyra Void-Bound Voyager

Good news everyone! As of a couple of hours ago Bartwe dug out his old xp laptop and started a testing environment. According to his twitter he has made some progress and the game is now crashing on XP instead of just never loading. Hang in there, they are working on it! ^_^

Bartwe's Twitter: https://twitter.com/bartwerf

7. skmou

skmou What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

This is good news, thx.
    Wish to play soon, I think that's sad :( right now, and I am jealous to read all others playing and enjoying and all instead that I am happy for them...
    ARF... I am not bad, I know anyway it was the BETA of the BETA, thus... eh !
    (sorry for bad english, québecois here)

Maybe i should think about upgrade one time, I just... I just like dinosaurs...

8. Suhr

Suhr Astral Cartographer

9. This is excellent news! Updating the post, thanks for the info!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    ArchonLyra likes this.
  10. Nachoman

Nachoman Starship Captain

WIndows XP SP3
    GeForce 9600 GT
    AMD Athlon 7750 dual core
    2,7GHz
    2Gb DDR2 RAM

11. Nachoman

an update is comming tonight - said the devs
    but what does "tonight" mean?
    in my country i have 22:34 now
    its night already

12. Joffez

Joffez Master Chief

I have Vista, it crashes when you click the launch button on the launcher.

13. Eradrann

Eradrann Void-Bound Voyager

This is not the topic for you... Read what this thread is called.

It's 21:19 here in England. Can't be much longer now surely. Nothing said on the twitter recently sadly...

14. ArchonLyra

The beta times were launched in Pacific Standard Time, so I expect they're going by US PST timezones when they refer to "tonight". Right now it's 2:26 PM in PST.

15. Milavelo

Milavelo Big Damn Hero

That's a nasty comment and you should feel bad.

Have you ever wondered if we can't "conform" due to money issues, or otherwise?

I don't see how you can call a group of people "special snowflakes" when they speak out about legitimate concerns they have.

We're not asking for preferential treatment, to be made favorites of the devs.

We simply want to experience what everyone else has been for a day or so now.

You and I are the same. We're both human.

It's time to start acting like one, friend.

Eradrann, DotBeta, KamiAmaya and 3 others like this.
  16. Nachoman

do you mean we have to wait another 7 hours?

17. SpaceApple

SpaceApple Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If they updated sooner, it's more likely that the fix won't be finished in time. We'd have to wait longer than 7 hours for the next update.

18. Nachoman

after update i have an error

not even saw the logo

19. Balfuset

Balfuset Void-Bound Voyager

Looking at Twitter, looks like some XP issues have been fixed, but not all according to bartwe as of about 20 minutes ago. Here's hoping the rest of the fixes don't take too much longer.

Don't really want to go through all the trouble of changing OS if I don't have to, but it's quite impressive (to my mind) that this is the first game/piece of software to make me consider it. Still, I understand people that can't upgrade from XP. Here's hoping we can all play soon enough! ^_^

20. ArchonLyra

Well I've gotten past the chucklefish logo to a loading screen. The loading screen doesn't appear to be moving but I'll leave it going for a few and see what happens.

Some things I noticed as a launched: Today the starbound.exe hit 680mb of memory while launching. I set the affinity to just 0 like it had been previously recommended, and maybe 30 seconds later it dropped down to 75mb. As of right now at this loading screen it's holding steady at 95mb.

I had also verified my steam files one last time before launching this instance.

It's also not telling me that the starbound.exe has stopped responding yet. Fingers crossed!

Edit: Oh.. oh god guys, I'm at the single player/multiplayer screen -squeee-

Red Death likes this.