1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

ATTN: Windows XP users who cannot play "CF splash screen freeze"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DotBeta, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Kanedork

Kanedork Subatomic Cosmonaut

Emphasis mine. You really don't get it, do you? This (privileged sounding, while we're at it) point of view is detrimental to the discussion, unless you're about to pull out your paypal account and gift a hundred bucks to everyone that has this issue.

Having said that, letting developers know about the problems (and their magnitude) in their game is something every player base should do during beta, and your "it's listed as such but it isn't, so what" makes no sense whatsoever. So, uh, how about you stop posting in bad faith on a thread that's supposed to be helpful to everyone involved?

Colton, KamiAmaya and Pingeh like this.
  2. JohnnyKill

JohnnyKill Astral Cartographer

This runs the game in one core, Its said it reduce's Lag and memory loss because core spliting when the game doesn't Need it makes it couch up tons of memory usages and can cause crashs so set THE game to CPU 0

CPU 0 is actually Core 1, as many things in computers start with 0 instead of 1. In this screen shot, I have four cores: CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2, CPU 3
    Use 0,

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the last thing I know I give up after this....

Colton and murdog like this.
  3. murdog

murdog Orbital Explorer

LERN THE CONCEPT OF A TOPIC OF A THREAD YOUR INPUT IS NOT NEEDED NOR WELCOME and dont tell me to chill im just mad i cant play i dont cair im doing outher things i dont cair when this is fixed becoue it will be i wated for the beta i can wate for the fix AND NO ONE IS OBLIGATED TO BLA BLA BLA IT SAYS WORKS ON XP SO GUESS WHAT THEY ARE FREEKING OBLAGATED TO HAVE IT WORK ON THE PLATORM OS W.E THEY SAY IT WILL SO SHUT UP
    like people have stated meny times some people dont have the money to upgrade there os or buy a new pc or DONT WNAT TO when it says will work with xp well it simply should work with it were not wasting devs time and just becosue microsoft wont update and support it dos not mean program and game makers wont your just being an asshat telling people to upgrade im sick of it why are u even here go play starbound or post on adult friend finder clearly u have nouthing beter to do dont forget to point out my bad grammer and spelling for go sake if we could just upgrade and it was free and all our data carryed over grate shure sign me up but its not that simple its time and money so go away dont post here this is were we are posting our sorrow with fellow xp users and can see hey im not alone uthers cant play and post of fix ideas and our specs to devs maby somone missed something you never know WHAT WE DONT NEED IS U TELLING US TO UPGRADE

Eradrann and Xenoprophet_Nail like this.
  4. Aiden14

Aiden14 Intergalactic Tourist

The over 1mil memory is caused by SP2

5. JohnnyKill

propely SP2 allows Core splitting for Windows xp

murdog likes this.
  6. Aiden14

Yeah I think so, but I have a Pentium 4, so theres only one core?

7. GoodTalk

GoodTalk Void-Bound Voyager

Woah! I just did somthing. Running on Windows 7, I lowered my resolution to 1360 x 768. The ran Starbound launcher through Steam (ran as admin). Next I selected 'Start Starbound', then while on the Chicklefish logo, I clicked 'Starbound Servers' button. After abuot 30 seconds the menu popped up, and I'm making a character now.

8. JohnnyKill

Some Intel Pentium 4 processors have hyperthreading technology which allows the operating system to see one core as two

murdog likes this.
  9. Aiden14

Got it :)

10. KamiAmaya

KamiAmaya Void-Bound Voyager

wtf is up with all the hate in this thread? o_O Please tell me the rest of the community isn't like this, 'cause if it is...

11. JohnnyKill

from the 100 normal people you wil have 3 haters or trolls, its kinda life.

Xenoprophet_Nail likes this.
  12. Xenoprophet_Nail

Xenoprophet_Nail Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Most of us XP users are kinda tired of being told to "just upgrade man". We all Have our reasons, but if you look through all the XP based problem threads you'll see trollage from 7 users. I for one am kinda hurt by that (both of my friends are having fun with this cause they have 7.) So the majority of us XP users are in the same boat and ppl saying "just upgrade dude".. it makes us.. well ya know.. I've purchased some betas in my time. War for the overworld had a bad problem where the gui disappeared and you couldn't play but after some time they fixed the problem and it plays fine now. I for one am going to wait and hope.. though knowing my luck by the time I get to play my friends will be bored of it.. lol I'm certain the devs will sort this out it's a darn site better than supreme commander's day 0's update requiring you to dl the whole game over again.. Sorry to ramble but yeah all us XP users are just tired of the repeated dogging of our OS.. I chose to keep it cause A.) It uses half the ram (I run skyrim fine) 2.)the sheer price of 7 C.) like a lot of XP users: If it ain't broke.. and finally I hope the trolls just go play starbound and leave us to wait for a fix.

Eradrann, murdog, KamiAmaya and 2 others like this.
  13. Avris

Avris Void-Bound Voyager

32 bit Windows XP SP2 (Because SP3 is a nightmare)
    2GB DDR2
    GeForce GT240 (1GB VRAM)
    SATA II HDD
    AMD Athlon 4800+ (2.51GHZ x2)

Same problem as others. Also, I'm running XP due to hardware compatibility issues with 7; these people declaring XP to be too old and for us to get over it not working are not only being unhelpful, but also downright ignorant and rude. I'm not demanding a fix, nor do I see myself as entitled to one during beta, but it would definitely be nice to be able to play this with my friends and help root out bugs before they get bored and move on (plus, on my connection, the 500MB patches take over two hours to download during which time I can't really do anything else online.. it's not fun to download those only to find that I can't actually play.)

Also it happens occasionally to some of my friends with 7, too, so there's that. Additionally, its idle resource usage post-freeze suggests that it is not just trying to unpack files, and is in fact completely stalled. I recommend watching your process monitor, and if the process does not stay idle, just wait for it and it might still run. Otherwise letting it sit for hours isn't any different from letting it sit for a few seconds.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Xenoprophet_Nail likes this.
  14. It's all good man we appreciate the help, but we've just covered that base is all :) thanks!

Edit:

Just got a chance to go through the last couple of pages and noticed the few people who have nothing positive to contribute are just just trying to get a rise out of us. Mind you the people who have nothing good to say are people who I haven't seen post in a long time. I seems they've come out of the woodwork to tell us to "just upgrade.." when in reality they know nothing about our situations.

To those people in particular, I do not see any reason for you to come in here and say anything negative as this thread is intended to help XP users get their games running so we can all enjoy Starbound together. We are not coming into your threads and trolling about how we can't play, there's no reason for you to come in here and post if you have nothing good to say.

Anyways I feel like I've been picking straw, I'm out of ideas so for now I'll just sit tight

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  15. GoodTalk

GoodTalk Void-Bound Voyager

Don't know if you're referring to me...I didn't realize this was a XP thread. I have been trying to get it to work on 7 for the past 5 hours and finally figured somthing out. Is there a thread this may be more informative in?

16. KamiAmaya

KamiAmaya Void-Bound Voyager

Oh I get it, XP user here too. I should have specified "hate towards XP users" :D

17. JohnnyKill

This all helps with windows 7..
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...et-access-violation-error.35786/#post-1376262
    Sorry for my poor grammar.
    Did any one do the last thing I posted?

18. Xenoprophet_Nail

Xenoprophet_Nail Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nah I'm not referring to you, I'm glad you got your copy working! I've been trying since I got my copy downloaded which took like 5 hrs.. Anyhoo I'm referring to people Coldly telling us to update to 7.. I hope you find a thread for win 7 to post your good news in :iswydt:

&@ JohnnyKill yeah I tried choosing cores but it didn't help.

19. WMoose

WMoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am going to start mine from a fresh restart without running everything else after clearing up some processes once I'm fully booted, and test if it makes it through the logo overnight.

Good luck everyone else. :p

20. Suhr

Suhr Astral Cartographer

How has the update worked for you guys?