Androbot v2.1

Discussion in 'The Monster Monster Contest' started by aiMarz, Mar 6, 2012.

1. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

Nothing much to explain here other than it is a form of an android style robot that's arms and legs can be transplanted to contain different weapons. As you can see, this particular version of Androbot has a shoulder mounted missle laucher and a basic arm blaster. I will attempt to draw up some different versions of Androbot with different weapons this week. No guarantee though. I will type up a more detailed Bio on it's structure and why I think this would make a logical and perfect fit for Starbound.

android_2_1.png androbot_2_4.png android_2_2.png androbot_2_3.png
    androbot.png
    Many thanks to Giant Door for creating the base for this image, took his and added longer phase blades. Thanks again Giant Door!

Updates and Revision History

3/17/2012
    - Added Pixel Version of Dual Phaseblade Androbot, help by Giant Door

3/12/2012
    - Added Internal Anatomy Sectional
    - Updated both original images to be clearer

3/11/2012
    - Added Gold Plated Version along with an anatomy portrait
    - Added 2 4-legged version of the Androbot. Also, added a pixel art version of the standing up, more human-like model.

3/8/2012 - Updated with possible weapon inductions, changed around overall lighting effects on the metal as well. Added ammo pack to main body for the minigun addition.

2. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

I figured I would post a little bit of information on Androbot. (Name to be further discussed)

Background: Androbot was created for the ultimate in space station defense needs. Created by The International Space Alliance Group alongside engineers and scientists, Androbot was originally intended as a means for Intergalactic Space Defense. After years of turmoil and fighting, a rogue group of engineers infiltrated the ISAG Headquarters and reset the internal programming of all of the Androbots to be more aggresive and to use their internal artifical intelligence instead of basic command sequences. Seeing how corrupt and wasteful all living species in the galaxy were, Androbots started turning on their owners and attacking the original space stations they were set to defend.

Habitat: You will find Androbots all across the galaxy. Seeing as how they were originally set to defend space stations, you will find these on nearly every habitable planet. Some Androbots have even formed a Robotic Coalition and have made homes on several planets and started creating their own version of Androbots and other Robotic Creatures.

Versions: The Androbots would be a perfect introduction in the Starbound Gameplay as they can be completely randomized. Weapon Modifications include but are not limited to:
    Rocket Launcher Shoulder Mount, Plasma Cannon, Laser Shot, Miniguns, ATS (Acute Targeting System - for better firing range and accuracy), Psionic Phase Blast (used to confuse enemies temporarily), and Titanium Phase Blades (for close battles). I will draw up some of these weapon attachment ideas sometime soon (or when I get time). Armors and Health Ratings of the Androbots are also variable as well. Older versions of Androbot have weaker armor and can be found more prominently due to their inexpensive nature while the tougher, more heavily armored and weaponized Androbots will be a rare addition.

Pets: (New 3/15/2012) - I came up with the idea that if you created a "transmitter" or sorts or a computer chip and you somehow managed to sneak up to the AndroBot (Very high stealth required), you could install this chip and / or transmitter and then the Androbot would defend you much like a pet would. Note: Sneaking up to an Androbot will require some devious thinking and some expert sneaking skills, but the reward of having an Androbot act as your Guard would be extremely worth it).

Unfortunately, once an Androbot starts losing energy and "health", you will need parts from other Androbots to repair it's health and / or energy. This evens out the Androbot being too powerful as a guard and would make you take better care of it.

Drops: (New 3/15/2012) - The Androbot would have many different drops depending on the type of Andro.

Very Rare: Missle Launcher, Phase Blade or any of the weapons integrated with the Androbot
    - Self explanatory, you luckily managed not to damage any of the weapons systems in the Androbot you just destroyed and can utilize some of the weaponry found.
    Very Rare: Internal Chips, Processors and / or Parts
    - These parts can be used to design your own "mechanical creatures", or can be used to control other Androbots if reprogrammed correctly. Most internal parts however will be better sold than utilized however.
    Rare: Ammunition for whatever weapon they are holding: missles, 7.62mm rounds, laser rifle charges... etc
    - Ammunition for many of your weapons you may have, usually will drop a good bit of ammunition.
    Common: Basic Androbot Repair Components
    - Can be used to repair your "pet" Androbot, sold or used in other Mechanical Creatures.

More Variations: Some Androbots were given more animalistic appeal and instead of walking around will run around 4-legged. These particular Androbots are especially deadly due to their quickness. Most 4-Legged Androbots have been retrofitted with either a laser on the backshoulder or rocket launchers, but some rare versions of these Androbots have been giving titanium phase claws which they can use to pounce and attack up close to the player character.

(New 3/15/2012) - The possibilities and varieties of the Androbot are endless. Different sizes, makes, armours, weapons and styles make for a wide variety of options and enhancements. You will find weakened Androbots that are rusted and are very easy to destroy but don't drop many parts to Titanium Plated Super Androbots that are deadlier and more intelligent than the lesser breeds.

Let me know what you guys think.

3. DarkDXZ

DarkDXZ Phantasmal Quasar

Neat and easy to mod and mock around with.
    I like.

4. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

Thanks Dark, not extremely "original" but I figured a space based game like Starbound could use a band of rogue robots. :)

5. DarkDXZ

Because why not?
    They might have a variant that looks like a familiar Celestial Bodies Military Conflicts mechanical companion...

6. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

Yeah... What you said.. :) Just kidding.

Anyways, still working on some of the side weapon drawings, been working day and night lately so I haven't really had time to mess around with it. But stay posted and I'll be sure to get back to you and upload them when I get them finished.

7. DarkDXZ

Celestial Bodies Military Conflicts = A.K.A Star Wars...

8. CleverBear

CleverBear Master Chief

Nice robot.

9. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

I know.. :)

Thanks Clever. Appreciate it.

If you notice, I added a new image of Androbot v2.1 to include a few things, namely weapon additions and more. Also, I'm currently looking for a spriter that has a little spare time and might want to take a crack at spriting the Androbot. Let me know if you are interested.

10. downstroypvp

downstroypvp Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I do love the phase blade, but I would love it even more if it was a dual one ... :)

11. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

Any combination of the aforementioned weapons can be combined. Dual Phase Blades, Dual Miniguns, Single Minigun with Laser Rifle, and more... Or, they could be retrofitted with a hand that allows the Bot to perform basic functions like grabbing onto swinging vines, and other weapons like basic swords and what not. It's unnecessary for the Androbot to use two hands because of his swiftness and strength.

12. Red Space Monkey

Red Space Monkey Phantasmal Quasar

I would love to see the 4-legged version. Being a walking assembly of weapons, a more beast-like appearance would really add to his style. Also, maybe you could make the humanoid bot more bulky and imposing, but I like his slender yet dangerous character too. ^^

13. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

As we speak, I am currently working on a pixel art version of him. I might take your advice and mock up a drawing of the 4-legged version though. Thanks! :)

14. Giant Door

Giant Door Space Penguin Leader

I like it. The design looks like it would sprite well and suit the game's style, and the random weapon variations would make for a good game-play element... killing the same mob over and over can get boring, but random armaments go a long way in spicing things up. My only concern with your design is that the theme of this game being what it is, I'd be surprised if the devs haven't already designed defence droids of their own that share some of these qualities.

I think to easily make yours stand out more you should consider a spawning method that really utilises the randomisation of armaments... like for example, have them land in drop pods ( so when it hits the surface the player reaction is "omg, what combination is going to come out this time?"), or perhaps have them assembled in front of the player on some sort of mobile assembly machine ( so players witness their impending doom being created before them, ie "Uh oh, that's a rocket launcher")... oh btw I like the idea of a 4 legged design, you should def sketch that one out pronto

15. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

Thanks Giant. yeah, when I first introduced it I was worried about them probably having something similar also, so I am currently trying to come up with different ideas to spice them up quite a bit. Thanks for your input.

The 4-legged version should be completed sometime Sunday. Unfortunately real life calls the tomorrow or else I would do it then :)

16. Ego_Tank

Ego_Tank Astral Cartographer

All it needs is a Shotgun... :D

17. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

Good possibility to have a scattergun.

18. Ego_Tank

Ego_Tank Astral Cartographer

Yes exactly what i was thinking. :D

19. Giant Door

Giant Door Space Penguin Leader

Ha, real life sucks.... keeps getting in the way of everything I'm trying to do as well :p

20. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

*lol*... Yeah man... That it does.

I started a pixel art mockup.
    androbot_pix_01.png
    I know it still has a lot of work, but this is kind of what it would look like with Phase Blades as weapons.