1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

A new look at the Hylotl/Floran conflict: Do Hylotl eat Florans?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RexBox, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

I dunno about you guys, but I'm a proud Homo sapien sapien, and as long as this war doesn't screw with the USCM or the remaining Human colonies, have at it. But we could always do with less Floran's in the universe :)

2. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

Pity. Silly human, I find more of you locked up in your "USCM" prisons than I do Florans imprisoning Florans. Sure you can kill your guards and have your run of the place.. but when I come by to invite you to my spaceship for a ride somewhere else you just attack me on sight. Several of you even play as guard, milling about the place, others of you remain prisoners until someone opens the door for you. You have all these colorful drugs lying around in crates and you rarely stock your vending machines. And what's with the chairs? Are you all training for some choreographed antics to be televised for Big Ape or something? I'd recommend putting together all your dirty mattresses and surrounding it with all that barbed wire you have laying about before doing so. Might be a hit somewhere in space.

I do like your graffiti, however.

3. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

We had a little 'incident' at the USCM Penal Colony, I can assure you any man still in there is probably insane.

4. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Well the robot may not be able to feel "pain" by not having receptors for pain, But I am sure the one or other shortcut may feel not so nice at all. Therefore saltwater on the robot, which may make him rust (long process) and he may not even feel it since of lack of receptors, wouldn't make a very successfull or efficient method of touturing. And the basic design of a standard Glitch may include quite some kind of "waterproof" surface, otherwise rain would be a major issue for them. Therefor you may need to find a "opening" where to add the water. This in case of a glitch may not even be his after. The device is surely invented vs Florans, but may with a proper "access" to a glitch be also very effective.

5. Villhelm

Villhelm Phantasmal Quasar

salt water speed up the rate of deterioration considerably.(rusts a lot faster than fresh water)

6. Ttariel

Ttariel Big Damn Hero

So hylotl are angry because the floran took over the home planet of them (one can understand this) but i doubt thatsthe whole story as the floran seem to be angry at them too.
    Maybe they started the first attack on them andthe floran pushed back, or they made them slaves who knows for a "bigger good". IDK

7. Villhelm

''we all know that big ape, greenfinger and thornwing are scheming, (http://starbounder.org/Minutes_of_a_Meeting) at the end, it says

Big Ape: [Redacted]

Big Ape: [Redacted]

Big Ape: And that's why you should never date a Hylotl.

Thornwing: Kluex save us.

Greenfinger: [Redacted]

hinting that a/the hylotl did something drastic about the research, and you can tell from the codex (greenfingers notes) that it had something to do with the tentacles. We also know that from talking to floran NPCs that Greenfinger told them to hate the hylotl which might explain why the floran randomly lashed out at the hylotl (besides the obvious differences), but on the threads, people kept saying how they could invade an ocean planet? (salt water is deadly to plants). Green finger found drysap from some tree,(http://starbounder.org/Notes_on_Drysap_1) but the reason it interested him was because the tree needed no water to survive and so began injecting it into floran soldiers (http://starbounder.org/Notes_on_Drysap_2) ''replacing their own with a stronger, hardier substance that leaves the Floran body requiring almost no water'. To an extent, this is a miracle serum.''

it would explain why there is no evidence of a long battle for the hylotl homeworld (suprise attack?(before someone point it out, im well aware that the lore is far from finished) ) and it would also explain why the avians didn't interfere (have been trying to halt the florans expansion), lastly, it would explain why there are no floran crusades across the galaxy because drysap had a very serious side affect ( a green guards journal 1,2,3,4,5).
    i think that's about it
    DISCUSS!''

its just a theory, but still

8. Digerati

Digerati Void-Bound Voyager

Floran was the race I was least-excited to play.

Then I made one, and now I don't want to play anything else. It's worth it for the 'N'-text alone.

Though my best friend plays a Hylotl. Our recent conversation went like this:

Me: "Did you know that Florans and Hylotl are enemies?"
    Him: "Oh?"
    Me: "Yeah. But the Florans are upset at me because I ate them, too. So we're good."

9. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

That wasn't my point. If the majority of the species is pacifist, then the majority wouldn't kill and eat Florans.

10. Lusfella

Lusfella Big Damn Hero

And that is proof that there are none doing it..?

11. MysticMalevolence

Now you're going off topic. The point of the thread was that the majority was doing it. I don't need proof that none do it.

12. MysticMalevolence

To know that, we would need to know who the final member of the meeting was, [redacted], and what the Floran's secret is as talked about in Project Incarsarus Notes.

13. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

So far, concerning the races, there seems to be some pattern regarding irony.

Florans, a plant-like people, are aggressive and violent.
    Glitch, essentially synthetic creations, with apparently enough biological components to need sustenance and breathable air. And stuck in the medieval/renaissance.
    Apex/Human, Apex are post-modern, humans are modern. Apex do laboratory experiments on... Apex.
    As far as Avian and Hylotl go, can't really put a finger on either. Avian are bird-like but can't fly, but that's not really something too far-fetched since they don't have "wings", just feathers.

14. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Hylotl live on oceanic planets and may get underwater cities, but they can not breathe under water. A bit strange why they may have cities deep under water which would force them to have a hard to maintain air supply in deep oceanic surroundings.

15. MysticMalevolence

Well, Avians did have their wings cut off, but that's besides the point.

16. VinchenzoJackal

VinchenzoJackal Big Damn Hero

The Hytlol do appear to hate the Florans even before there ever being contact with them.
    Surprisingly, Hytlol hate everything with their speech... they toss insults at every being of every race except their own kind.
    They may be a race dedicated towards peace, but their constant insults to all life, and all life being inferior to Hytlol, makes war a high possibility with all races.
    Maybe the war began because the Hytlol are always so arrogant, proud, and tossing insults everywhere.
    The Glitch are disturbingly less hostile to foreign life, never tossing insults... which makes me wonder if Glitch are far more peaceful in spite of their various war driven kingdoms...

17. MysticMalevolence

^Really? They toss insults everywhere? And how many Hylotl are there to meet other than merchants and bandits, right now? I know Hylotl have never insulted me (Avian), so obviously I'm missing something.

18. Villhelm

the only race they genuinely hate is the florans

19. bnnk186

bnnk186 Space Spelunker

20. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

Eh, it was really just a loose observation on my initial take on the races. Just being a gamer of fantasy and sci-fi of all manner over the years, you see themes that repeat and others that are unique. I felt as though there was some sort of twist on how we were all supposed to perceive each race and, like all fiction, it's from a human perspective, so we compare and relate. As I was writing it I was realizing that I hadn't fully thought it through concerning all the races, but ultimately wanted others input on how I was perceiving it all. It just seems like a curveball being thrown at us as far as the lore is concerned. Which is great, really.