1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

A new look at the Hylotl/Floran conflict: Do Hylotl eat Florans?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RexBox, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Ninja Serenity

Ninja Serenity Big Damn Hero

Balance is the word you're looking for here. If the Hylotl were unable to eat meat while all the other species could, it would give the Hylotl a major disadvantage compared to other species and thus less people would play them due to said disadvantage.

2. Hrexandro

Hrexandro Subatomic Cosmonaut

They could make them eat wood or something else easily available but unedible to other races, then.

3. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Keep in mind, one thing Greenfinger notes when speaking about Floran customs is that one sure-fire way to enrage Florans while you are a guest in their household/abode (like Hytlotl missionaries would certainly be) would be refusing to eat raw meat and damaging the local plant life. So to the Florans, the Hytlotl have proven themselves not great guests as a whole because they didn't eat the raw meat offered to them which is my guess. Now, the Florans are young as a species and still don't understand that some species just cannot eat things other than meat or poisonous foods, so the whole thing could simply be due to the Florans not knowing any better and the trademark Hytlotl arrogance doing little to explain the issue in a simple manner to try and calm things down to at least be neutral and not hostile.

4. Lusfella

Lusfella Big Damn Hero

People don't seem to understand that being vegetarian means that you choose vegetable food over meat food.
    Who says there are no Hylotl hunters interested in hunting down a vegetable?
    Unlike all other vegetables that grow on bushes, trees or in the ground, this one is actually a challenge to get.
    It would be a delicacy.

Vegetarian does not mean "does not want to hurt other beings". It's your diet, not your personality.
    We humans have a perfect example of someone who did not mind causing others pain and was a vegetarian simply due to preference. Some of you might've heard of the guy, he's called Adolf.
    Most refer to him by his last name though.
    Hell, I even know a vegetarian hunter in real life. Though as far as I know he's not a fish.

Reindeer doesn't taste much different from elk yet reindeer meat is considered far better than that of elk due to them not being hunted very often as they usually live in places there's really no access to unless you travel by foot for days.

Hylotls can very well hunt down Florans as a delicacy, they wouldn't even have to kill them, just push the Floran into the saltwater and watch the Floran die from the pain of instant dehydration and its entire body with all organs decay.
    Isn't that a good revenge for having the savages ruin their home-world?

Have you seen the "Torture Device" fountain? It's a saltwater fountain, the Glitch as well are afraid of it since saltwater causes corrosion quicker (rust).
    If the person who destroys your country has a weakness to water and you move into a home where everything around you is water, would you not think of weaponizing it and using it for vengeance?

[​IMG] Floran: Floran quiver in fear at sssight of this.
    [​IMG] Glitch: Discontent. A particularly unpleasant method of torture, especially for Glitch.

__

[​IMG] Hylotl:The one Floran torture device that simply won't work on Hylotl. A minor victory.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  5. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

Good thinking. I was originally on the side of it being unlikely, but you make a damn good argument. Especially since I don't think we know who threw the first stone.

Lusfella likes this.
  6. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't eat Florans... sorry but my tastes just don't swing that way ;)

DotBeta likes this.
  7. I reaallyyy think it's the other way around.

8. Takushi

Takushi Space Hobo

All my respect. One could have cited some sources, but it doesn't take many google searches of the things you're writing about to find out about them, and it's not like this is some health forum. Still nice to see someone with more of a neutral stance on this, though.

9. Tovlyn

Tovlyn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not too far-fetched actually. Using Corale and various Hylotl quotes as guideline you can tell that they under certain circumstances are somewhat naïve. Given the fact that they are herbivores, and therefore are NOT bound by ethics to eat only plantmatter rather than forced from a physical aspect, preying on Floran seems like a fairly reasonable behavior, still somewhat unnatural though, since we left out their peaceloving from the equation. I'd be more concerned with how me and other Florans devour the Hylotl if I were you.

10. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

So you wanna tell that the million of years in human evolution is just a fail? No its not we are omnivores by a reason, meat is part of our diet. and a plant based diet is not the reason why your lifespan increases, its the broken plentiness of wrong diet,but has rarely to do with meat or non meat consumption. You are acting wrong in the same way buy as much falsely taught arguments as the pro meat faction. And both are wrong when they act stubborn like this. Vitamin B12 can not be naturally obtained by vegans and they have to get it with synthethic ones. And synthetic vitamins are not as good natural once because they are not exactly the same.

The reason why things are unhealthy is that people consume to much and too imbalanced of evertyhing. Look its lunchtime, lets hurry to Mc D and stuff a whole Menü into us which is far above the ratio you need but doesn't even makes you full for long because its just the completely worst way of diet you can get. The human way of diet is beeing omnivore with the correct balance.

BTT, where is the story about Florans ans Hyotl's Homeplanet?

It feels weired, since I guess that florans may not be native with salt water. And so driving the Hylotl off their oceanic home planet is kinda something that seems to be hard to believe. Or trying tos ee how thy may have managed this at all.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    cyberspyXD likes this.
  11. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

The official starbound wiki has some interesting "flavor text" to items that add some character to the lore. I looked at a lot of items and, having not yet encountered Hylotl in my galaxy-hopping because they just aren't in yet, I can say that, according to the "flavor text" I have seen on the wiki, Hylotl may be pacifists, but they sure are some uppity, snarky jerks. And most other races seem to agree. Go to the spawner section and look up the hylotl spawners and read the flavor texts there. Most of the stuff is pretty funny.

Back to the OP's topic of florans/hylotl: I just wanted to post this link cuz, as sssavage as the florans may be, they can read the matrix.
    http://starbounder.org/Geometric_Screen

12. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

only glitch and Floran do understand this, while even the brainapes or the wannabe inteeligent hylotl fail to know it. Says a lot about thei true intelligence.

The-Seven-Worlds likes this.
  13. Villhelm

Villhelm Phantasmal Quasar

on the subject of floran/hylotl just realized something...

bare with me on this, we all know that big ape, greenfinger and thornwing are scheming, (http://starbounder.org/Minutes_of_a_Meeting) at the end, it says

Big Ape: [Redacted]

Big Ape: [Redacted]

Big Ape: And that's why you should never date a Hylotl.

Thornwing: Kluex save us.

Greenfinger: [Redacted]

hinting that a/the hylotl did something drastic about the research, and you can tell from the codex (greenfingers notes) that it had something to do with the tentacles. We also know that from talking to floran NPCs that Greenfinger told them to hate the hylotl which might explain why the floran randomly lashed out at the hylotl (besides the obvious differences), but on the threads, people kept saying how they could invade an ocean planet? (salt water is deadly to plants). Green finger found drysap from some tree,(http://starbounder.org/Notes_on_Drysap_1) but the reason it interested him was because the tree needed no water to survive and so began injecting it into floran soldiers (http://starbounder.org/Notes_on_Drysap_2) ''replacing their own with a stronger, hardier substance that leaves the Floran body requiring almost no water'. To an extent, this is a miracle serum.''

it would explain why there is no evidence of a long battle for the hylotl homeworld (suprise attack?(before someone point it out, im well aware that the lore is far from finished) ) and it would also explain why the avians didn't interfere (have been trying to halt the florans expansion), lastly, it would explain why there are no floran crusades across the galaxy because drysap had a very serious side affect ( a green guards journal 1,2,3,4,5).
    i think that's about it
    DISCUSS!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  14. Raptoral ze great guy

Raptoral ze great guy Big Damn Hero

Hey hey hey... STFU

15. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

I can't really speculate on the lore too much at this point. There is so much unknown, and there haven't been any real clear plot twists to start trying to figure out what comes next. I'm happy to soak up whatever info comes my may naturally for the moment. But that's just me. I'm having a hard enough time as is just trying to predict the next "core" character from The Walking Dead to get killed off.

But still, according to the descriptions of items in the wiki, the Hylotl still seem like pompous jerks... and probably got whatever was comin' to 'em.

They do have one of the better racial styles, tho.:sneaky:

16. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

We do know why they hate each other... the Florans drove the Hylotl off of their homeworld, and murdered a ton of them in the process. At least, that's what the Hylotl codex says.

Also, the Florans eat Hylotl. And Apex. And occasionally Avians. And maybe Humans if they can find them. Sometimes even each other.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  17. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Hitler was a vegan. There is a difference.
    Also, it's not confirmed that that is salt water in the fountain.
    And a vegetarian species might hunt plant-people, but a pacifist species wouldn't.

18. Lusfella

Lusfella Big Damn Hero

Where does it say that every Hylotl is a pacifist hivemind where any and all Hylotls are physically and mentally unable to do anything but pacifist actions? They are extremely hateful and perfectly capable of killing.

When the Florans attacked, they had a war with the florans. There wasn't a genocide. They fought back. They do fight, even if it's to protect themselves.

Also I never learned that he was a vegan, I always read that he was vegetarian, I've been misinformed. Sorry about that, but my point still stands that your preferred food does not control your ability to hurt others.

Would you like to explain what the fountain is? A Hylotl that is immune to effects of saltwater is immune to the fountain spraying ___water and yet Glitches and Florans that fear saltwater do not want to be near the ____water fountain.

19. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

possible explanation

20. Lusfella

Lusfella Big Damn Hero

Right. So to you it makes more sense to shove a fountain up a robots arse than pour saltwater on it to torture it.