May 21, things happened

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, May 21, 2014.

1. kyren

kyren kyren

mollygos submitted a new blog post:

May 21, things happened

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    mo'guts, Ado, Titanium and 17 others like this.
  2. Derolis

Derolis Void-Bound Voyager

3. Altaeon

Altaeon Void-Bound Voyager

These daily info updates are the best thing ever. Even the tiniest bit of info about the game's progress is so fascinating.

Ado, Tournesolbook, Kokiris and 10 others like this.
  4. Zurgh

Zurgh Void-Bound Voyager

Added diversity and variety to the critter spawning sounds great!

Hatsya Souji, SeaMichelle and Kittani like this.
  5. Kittani

Kittani Void-Bound Voyager

I've been putting off playing anymore so I can play through the game from the start of the new progression system. Is there any update on when that will be available? I love all the new content you guys are making. Wish I could help.

6. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

You guys don't even have an internal system yet?! That needs to change pronto. Those things are invaluable.
    Especially when Chucklefish becomes a huge national corporation and has 67 offices across the globe. =D

Hatsya Souji and Kawa like this.
  7. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

8. RizzRustbolt

RizzRustbolt Existential Complex

Mmm... Fiber.
    It's the best, isn't it?
    And not just for computers!

9. Uzkniso

Uzkniso Big Damn Hero

Lovin' the daily updates on things that are happening.

10. Zurgh

Zurgh Void-Bound Voyager

All of these 'additions' (and not just the visual ones, but all the logic and programming to support it) once added all together, are making this game go from just OK, to good, to (dare I say) epic?
    The mock ups are great, the art is great, but so much of that greatness relies on the coding to make it work, and work well. Keep up the code-monkeying around!
    Also, looks like the 'behind the scenes' posts are having a beneficial effect.

SeaMichelle likes this.
  11. TalVerd

TalVerd Master Chief

I must say I really appreciate all these little blurbs, it's nice because every time I get a little disappointed seeing that steam hasn't updated Starbound yet, I just pop over here and am able to see that progress is being made and also knowing what that progress is, it's really nice, thanks and keep up the good work! :)

12. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Sounds good

13. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

@kyren
    What will become of modders? Some downloadable content adds new biomes. Should modders write those "spawning profiles" themself, or will they be automatically generated?

14. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

I agree, it's always messy when human internal systems are visible externally.

On a less-random note, I like the ideas you've got for monster spawning, and look forward to seeing them in the game!

15. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

I want a hoard of bunnies. In my house. Yep.

16. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

I would assume that the game is divided into "official" coding and biomes that may branch out into sub-divisions, one of which may include "unofficial" content. Chances are that after this new update hits, a lot of the biome mods are going to stop working, or at least their spawn rates will be screwed. Perhaps changing the path to something "OfficialBio>SubCategory>AltBio> -insert unofficial biome code - exp - 000AF123-"? The game then reads the biome file, looks for specific codes implemented into it (rates, spawns, etc) and voila?

Or I could just be making troll science because I'm no expert on how this works :p

ThatMadCat and 1John5vs7 like this.
  17. 1John5vs7

1John5vs7 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

A superlative idea!

IvoryOwl is very right though: tons of mods are going to bork from this because they add biome content. I suppose you can't build your game around what the modding community is doing necessarily, but if there is a way to add this new system without fundamentally gumming up the code for biomes such that the added content works, that would be superb.

18. Piccolo

Piccolo Guest

This sounds great and is one of the things I was really hoping would change. The only thing I could really ask for now are either a handful of specific enemies for each biome that are not randomly generated, with specific drops, or, a system that causes different monster bits to have specific drops.

Lobo, Zurgh, Madzai and 1 other person like this.
  19. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

That's awesome. You should have it be a 99.9999999% chance of always being a red panda, though.

20. Gekker

Gekker Void-Bound Voyager

Im glad to see so much stuff going on right now :)
    Honestly, I was a little sad because things were moving on so slow while you guys were moving to London. Can't wait for the next major update :D