More Combat stuff

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

mollygos submitted a new blog post:

More Combat stuff

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    Xotano, mangapinches, FerMod and 11 others like this.
  2. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i did edit a few spears to give them the aimable thing, and they dont seem to overpowered

i feel like swords should have a click and hold then release to do a power attack (kinda like zelda)

or tab movement and attack at the same time to do a power attack (kinda like smashbros)

im more into the smashbros kinda combat but idk, who else agrees?

3. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Whilst it's been possible to edit weapons and add a directional flag with them to make them aimable for some time, only now do the weapons hitboxes actually rotate with the weapon. So you weren't getting the full effect before.

Serenity, Ilusiveman, Ado and 5 others like this.
  4. Rayze Darr

Rayze Darr Space Penguin Leader

Looks like combat is getting a pretty nice overhaul. I approve greatly. Maybe I'll finally have an excuse to try out something other than my hammer! Looks great, Tiy and Chucklefish staff!

Axe Garian and KevinFragger2427 like this.
  5. ne3zy

ne3zy Zero Gravity Genie

@Rainbow Spears have insane damage/attack speed compared to most weapons what made them balanced was the non directional aim, now they are overpowered compared to other weapons (except the bonehammer of course which is the ultimate overpowered weapon in the game).

KevinFragger2427 likes this.
  6. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i guess that explains most of the problems i had with it
    that and aiming down made your arms bend so far behind you back it looked like The Exorcist
    the best part being able to shoot that lightingball in 360 directions
    looking forword to shooting that slavesword :rofl:

even with the directinal attack it was still hard to aim with them, and hammers did more dmg
    but like tiy sead i gotta try out the new set inorder to call my opinion

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  7. Crabcakes

Crabcakes Astral Cartographer

Just imagine if the bonehammer had directional aiming, it would become the bonemortar! I know the bones from mine do around 650 damage each, that thing is crazy.

I can't wait to get hands on with this, especially the spears. Do the tesla staff and floran prods count?

8. ne3zy

ne3zy Zero Gravity Genie

hammer had more dmg but shitty attackspeed

9. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

anouther idea i had was having diffrent attacks based on the movement key you are pressing

holding left or right would do a running attack witch would be faster swing but do less damage
    holding up would do a uppercut to launch the monster into the air, would do alittle less damage and have a slightly longer delay between your next attack
    holding down would do a stab witch would knockback the monster back farther then normal, would do alittle less damage and have a longer delay between your next attack
    not pressing any movement key would do a normal attack like how it is now

if a monster is in the air (after your uppercut) you should beable to juggle it in the air if your weapon and skill is good enough

just an idea

Maos, Goenitz, CalamityQuote and 2 others like this.
  10. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Looks good so far though spears sound really overpowered now giving them aimed attacks, relativly fast speed and a long reach... maybe reducing the "swingspeed" with spears could be a good idea to make them more balanced, I mean after all we cant swing a spear up to 2 times a second IRL either... + the spear probaly has some weight from the material its made out of (given that said Impervium alloy for instance is extremly dense, hard, slow to react it probaly is a bit "heavier" then other materials). The other rebalancing of the weapons now give me a reason to use them, if I aim good and precise maybe I consider using axes now. If I rather do hit and run tactics I go with dual daggers and can even fight off birds with them now. And if I play more defensivly and behave more like a Tank I keep the stock broadsword/hammer... looks pretty good so far.

For the ranged weapons we maybe could still need an better system then the current one we have, I still suffer from running out of power too fast when using most of the weapons. The only usefull machine pistols and assault rifles are the rare sticky plasma ones because their use of energy is good for the ammount of damage they do + the ability to deny an area for a certain ammount of time. Sniperrifles seem good so far from damage output though splitter bullets are kinda bullshit to them to say the least. I mean if I would want to use a shotgun I would grab a shotgun not a sniper rifle.
    But still the whole taking energy to fire a weapon concept is currently kinda broken. Some weapons are extremly overpowered (Legendary Nailbomb Grenade Launcher... got one with 3500 dmg per shot, 0.5 firerate and only 60 energy usage) while others are way too weak (shotguns which are currently really useless, most of the assault rifles and machinepistols, a good chunk of the pistols). Again adding ammo and reducing the delay mobs/enemies are invulnerable (to gunfire) could fix that. Theres still no reason why I shouldnt use the bonehammer above a shotgun. If that gets resolved at some point we got a fairly good base for awesome combat mechanics.

Looking really forward to the psychic amplifier and wondering how it will be added to the game. Maybe you can craft the amplifier itself but need to find recipes for certain abilities/projectiles you can create with it... for instance a Psistrike would require you to go onto a certain biome and loot chests there. While others like a weaker kinetic blast could be crafted with some effort... And superior ones which are really... really powerfull should be hidden somewhere in underground treasure rooms maybe... anyways really looking forward to that.

11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

A couple suggestions I'd like to forward for spears as their "secondary", either:

a) Ability to "throw" them as an impromptu ranged attack.

This disabling your ability to attack with them for a short cooldown keeping it as a "secondary attack" rather than outright replacing the need for a ranged weapon. Spears are historically hybrid melee/throwing weapons (vs lances and pikes which are strictly thrusting, or javelins which are strictly throwing). This would also stay true to the spirit of the spear as a weapon based around keeping your enemy at arms reach offensively, rather than blocking/active defence. To homogenise the projectile sprite, it could be stylised in a fashion similar to the dash tech or teleport visuals

b) Ability to make a "power dive" where you strike dramatically downwards onto whatever is below you.

This'd be relatively easier to implement (given the above suggestion requires a way of copying the spear appearance to a projectile), and would be a fun nod to FF dragoons. As it is, pouncing on a target from above is actually harder to time than it looks with directional weapons, and synergises with flying and jumping techs​

phytophile, Lecic, irongamer and 11 others like this.
  12. Silver Fern

Silver Fern Void-Bound Voyager

May be you can balance weapons with different damage types. And give for monsters damage reduce. For example, mob with heavy armored body will have good piercing damage reduce, so spears (with only piercing damage type) will be uneffective against them. Because we have random generated mobs, we need to have and use different weapons (with different damage types) in situations when our favorite weapon not so good as we wish. .

13. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

I'm liking the changes until now. Altough the swing speed looks wrong to me.
    You are holding this fairly big sized weapon and then suddently "woosh", you slashed it across in a few millisec. Its a bit too fast now. Not sure how much time there is in between the new and old setting.

Edit : Also, I would really like to see differences in each racial weapons stats, even if those are very small. I would imagine glitch weapon being a bit slower but with more knockback, floran being faster and harder hitting but having a lot less knockback, this kind of things. (All exemples, no need tho be exactly that).

14. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

Highlighting differences between certain weapon types is certainly a good move. Though I certainly would like to see some developments regarding axes (and how there's difference in tiers/metals between axes and, say, pickaxes together with rather bad differentiation between tree-cutting kind and weapon kind which cannot be used interchangeably).

However, weapons themselves don't interest me nearly half as much as entity comparison fix, which I already regarded (balance between players vs native wildlife vs NPCs is bad in general).

15. misho

misho Big Damn Hero

excellent :up: improvement to combat.

Axe Garian and KevinFragger2427 like this.
  16. Laterne

Laterne Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A second attack for spears could be a 360° strike.

17. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Or trowing it altough I'm not sure how getting it back would work for it to be practical.

18. Kyasupah

Kyasupah Pangalactic Porcupine

I'de like to see the 360 attack, maybe hold down, then attack to do a whirling sweep with knock-back. If the spears are OP I wouldn't mind seeing them weakened, as long as they were still pretty fast.

19. ll LoneWolfe ll

ll LoneWolfe ll Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well this all looks really cool, glad to see the game is still continuous growing with new content for the game. Also, I'm glad to see common guns are actually going to become more common.

20. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Update for unstable, no update for stable, fuck.

TheKillerX and Piccolo like this.