More Combat stuff

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Mikerlantz

Mikerlantz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

But additional knockback is on the hammers alread :eek: awesome pic btw

Ehhh true but still even a pike is faster than most long weapons just due to the flexibility of the weapon - and if your're thinking more of a pike - maybe adding in a zone inside the attack where you do no damage would also make sense? Seems a bit wierd to do that though. imo, a pike seems closer to a lance than just a long,heavy spear

Sorry I dont understand what you want me to look at:geek:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  2. Animator

Animator Cosmic Narwhal

The psi-staff is a cool concept, but doesn't fit the sci-fi theme of the game. Refitting them as some sort of technological glove would be more fitting, and far cooler, while keeping the magical look while fitting the theme.

Lecic, Ponjkl, BlueSmoke and 4 others like this.
  3. Mikerlantz

I totally agree - a nintendo power glove parody would look pretty sweet too - i feel like staves that shoot spells have no place in a world with guns that shoot lightning, they'll basically devolve into equal weapons which will feel wierd I think "my magic stick is just as powerful as your AK47 with thunder bullets"

4. Animator

Animator Cosmic Narwhal

It's funny, I was thinking that the Nintendo Power Glove itself would be a silly cameo, and if you used it near arcade machines, they'd start getting louder, glow harder, and drop small amounts of pixels until empty.

Mikerlantz likes this.
  5. RodWolfus

RodWolfus Void-Bound Voyager

I know this is off topic, but make hunger affect your energy bar. Just like in Monster Hunter, If you are hungry, you lose some energy. This could be a way to have hunger in the game wihout it being pointless.

6. Piccolo

Piccolo Guest

I actually really like the psi-staff idea. I don't think it's *too* magic-y to fit into the game and who knows, maybe in the future we've developed technology that allows us to control brain waves and what not. Besides, water swords, and eyeswords don't seem too much more scientific to me. ;)

a_guy_named_bread likes this.
  7. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Floran keep clicking "Like" button, but only can like once. Shame.

So, all shotguns will have "triple split" ammo? This would truly amplify the differences between guns exponentially, in addition to creating the first ever Starbound: Bullet Hell Simulator.

8. Zangdar

Zangdar Master Chief

Hey,

Can you please make sure that the game remains playable only with the keyboard? It surely is nice to play Starbound on my laptop and I'd like to still have a decent range of weapons I can use without needing to touch the trackpad :)

Thanks!

9. bce5150

bce5150 Master Chief

I think spears should retain their reach and damage, as well as new directional mechanics, but they should have to charge up for a short period before an attack can be used. Kind of like the bow and arrow... but 1) maybe the attack would deploy instantaneously upon charging up - therefore excellent timing would be required to be effective with the weapon (or maybe you could hold the charge like the bow and arrow and release the attack whenever you want) and 2) maybe the spear would have a glimmery blink like the bow and arrow that lands a crit - or maybe not...

So I'm not sure about points 1 and 2, devs and/or testers could always try out variations... but I think the idea of a short charge up is good

Castlevania (and Metroid for that matter too) had tons of dash and jump and combat mechanics that were pretty similar to Legend of Mana.

I think the Legend of Mana guy had an excellent idea. Power bash/dash/timed crits would really help make combat more engaging and robust - it's just what this game needs! Though we don't need the superfluous DBZ style charge up before everything, if that's what you meant by "JRPG"... I actually loved Legend of Mana back in the day, but I remember getting sick of that stupid 2 second going-super-saiyan animation before special moves. Maybe we could implement power moves based on weapons that have a 60 second cooldown timer and take up a lot of energy.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    Mikerlantz likes this.
  10. Vintorez

Vintorez Void-Bound Voyager

Idea for spears;
    Reduce base damage
    Alternate attack: Pierce
    Pierce is a slightly longer range attack that does slightly less than base damage, but reduces enemies' defense, increasing damage taken.
    Perhaps favor this towards spears, debuffed enemies take slightly more damage from all attacks and moderately more damage from spear attacks.

11. trillian

trillian Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not a frequent forum reader, so I don't know what you're referring to. So I'm curious, why don't you like directional change?

12. RandomWyrm

RandomWyrm Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe spears can be thrown a short distance for their alt attack?

13. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

Hoorah! It wasnt an April fools joke!

Glad that Chucklefish does not troll us so...
    All the planned changes sound amazing and Are well thought out.
    Will Spear Effects like the lightning pulse be directional also?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  14. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

So, something I just realized. Axes will have directional attacks, but how will that work?

Currently, they are just "shorter/smaller hammers". They have the same overhead/forward arc, instead of a straight-line swing like 1h weapons and spears.

When changing them to directional attacks, how would a player reliably control if they are doing an uppercut (swing from their feet up towards above their head) versus an overhead (swing from over and behind their head towards the front of their head)? Having the option to choose either of them would be amazing, especially when dealing with the changes in height found during tunnel exploration and spelunking, but that could be really difficult to ensure that players are able to reliably choose one or the other.

Unless, of course, axes simply were changed to bigger, slower shortswords, but that wouldn't be so fun.

15. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Maybe its me.
    But that short sword animation makes it look like she is cutting meat.
    I understand the limitations - but still - it loks like what it looks like.

16. Mikerlantz

Anyone who suggests a slow style for the spears needs to try larping with a spear! Its very not slow =o
    much fast
    so wibble wobble

[pixelmonster] likes this.
  17. Hoddmimir

Hoddmimir Cosmic Narwhal

This is a terrific post. Brilliant. Thought out. Clearly explained. I wish to nominate you for the prestigious and currently non-existent Starbound Forums Award.

18. reversePsychologist

reversePsychologist Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In a nutshell, I think it dumbs down combat, it kills the already barely existant weapon diversity and I personally really like the combat as it is now being a fan of Castlevania. I made this post about it but I didn't mean to imply it was a popular one.

Although, as for diversity, now they said they'll maintain two handed swords and hammers non directional so I guess it doesn't change that much, but that's also my point: it's not the solution. I think they should just add alt attacks depending on the type of weapon.

trillian likes this.
  19. Mikerlantz

I think that the diversity will come on its own through alternate attacks and varying ranges and elementals - plus I think its overall beneficial because it adds a dose of realism to the game - not being able to attack upwards or downwards with anything one handed made them entirely useless and immersion breaking for me x0

I disagree - its a good idea but too many people just tl;dr, a short and to the point post is something everyone will read imo :monkey:

but thats not rly on topic anyway lol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  20. Mikerlantz

Another Idea for the spear I just came up with - what if the alt fire just held out the spear at length and you could move around while holding it out at extended range, and anything that comes in contact with the tip takes constant damage like with other spikes in the game! I think it would make sense and would be neat looking.