More Combat stuff

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Wurmheart

Wurmheart Subatomic Cosmonaut

Broadswords with a block? i think you meant great-swords/two-handed swords.

Secondly why not some 1 handed spears?
    and the 2h spears (pikes) could have a secondary attack aimed slighted downwards that cripples enemies (or just slows em)
    And those suggesting throwing spears, go look up the weight balance, length and arrowhead differences between 2 handed spears and javelins...

And i'll be honest, i do not believe the psi staff belongs in this game at all.

Lecic, vanella, CalamityQuote and 3 others like this.
  2. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

but the one question everyone wants to know

will shields stop being useless?

just switch to unstable =p

2 handed swords are called broadswords in the game/files
    the 1 handed ones are called shortswords[/quote]

KevinFragger2427 and Wurmheart like this.
  3. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

the glitch do have wizards
    you cant mess with canon lol
    what is magic other then science you dont understand

Slimy, vanella, riseoflegends and 5 others like this.
  4. jonessey2002

jonessey2002 Astral Cartographer

sadly true also what does the magic scroll do?

vanella and KevinFragger2427 like this.
  5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

you arnt a wizard so it wont work for you
    (nothing)

back on topic,
    i am waiting for this psi staff i cant wait,
    i wonder what kinda attacks it will do
    propley explosions :rofl:

Lucario and KevinFragger2427 like this.
  6. jonessey2002

but is there any actual plans for it in the future

Anyway im excited about psi staff

Tiy You Have AMAZED us again.

PS: not suprised coming from him.

PPS: Keep up the amazing effort

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  7. ClockworkMidnight

ClockworkMidnight Big Damn Hero

Ooooo! Looks promising!

KevinFragger2427 likes this.
  8. SteelSoldier

SteelSoldier Existential Complex

Not sure what can be done if spears are overpowered, I guess increasing the amount of time you need in order to attack again or make the thrust animation slightly slower, and then a secondary attack with lower ranger but that attacks twice leading to a long waiting time before you can use the attack again.

Another possibility would be, once the spear hits an enemy, it takes longer for the attack animation to finish, since you will be removing the spear out of the enemy.

9. jonessey2002

Same Im pretty excited i think im gonna buy the 2000$ edition so i tiy can make statue of my friend that died today. Like to encourage me to do this or i will design a gun that shoots a statue of my best friend

10. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i think makeing them slow and powerful works,

11. jonessey2002

Good thinking but i don't think he will be adding secondary attacks

12. I think spears could actually be nerfed by having them slowed down.
    In reality, spears have a lot of range, but take a while to thrust. As for a secondary attack, a defensive kind of block could be good, where the character crouches down and holds the spear slightly upwards. Any creature that runs into it will take damage and be knocked back slightly.
    That or any of the other powers mentioned so far.

13. jonessey2002

Uhh probably i guess

14. Kyasupah

Kyasupah Pangalactic Porcupine

It will probably only be a couple days before it gets pushed on to stable, hasn't been long in the past. Relax.

15. jonessey2002

DUDE THATS WHAT @SteelSoldier SAID

16. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Yea, I really wonder where that "hopefully" update is :p.

Piccolo likes this.
  17. Hoddmimir

Hoddmimir Cosmic Narwhal

So we have a magic like effect in the game now? I don't mind necessarily, but I am surprised. I thought that was strongly being frowned upon.

R_C_A^, vanella and KevinFragger2427 like this.
  18. jonessey2002

Same but Guys cmon encourage me to get 2000$ version of game so i can tell tiy to make a statue of my best friend who broke all bones and was put in a coma and died. give likes to encourage!!!!!!

19. Jadugarr

Jadugarr Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe a solution to melee is the adition of techniques: a magic attack, combo or short cutscene that has AoE-great damage at the expense of energy or a long recovery time where de player is helpless. Also, it would be possible to hace different options -special moves- when attaking; like a heavy attack, bash, or charge to enemies inherent to the weapon.

There's a game where a very simple pseudo 2D-combat is enrich by this aditions, called Legend of Mana.
    Here's an example of those so called techniques

And here this special moves I'm talking about.

I know Starboud aims to be a sandbox, and therefore combat is planned to be basic, but this small aditions -don't know if they're complex to code or animate- could totally overhaul melee system and give additional deep and objetives to the gameplay.

For example, imagine Spears have the Charge special move that consists in a small run foward -few seconds- knockbacking everything along the way. Or obtain a bow technique called Rain of arrows -self explanatory- you could activate costing a great amount of energy -maybe all-.

It's only a quick idea, so I don't clear myself if techniques sould be a tecnology o a secondary attack of a weapon; or if special moves sould be inherent to players etc. Hope you find useful my little contribution and may serve to improve the game in any way.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    vanella, KevinFragger2427 and Boshed like this.
  20. Crabcakes

Crabcakes Astral Cartographer

If I read it right it is like telekinetic powers of your mind going through a staff. Maybe give them to those helpless Glitch Wizards. Oh, and it is not in yet. The staff thing will be coming after this update so I'm sure they will make it fit right into the game.