1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the fans are upset about Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Critwrench, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerJonason

DerJonason Big Damn Hero

I'm not angry, i'm unhappy. I want to play Starbound now but the devs decide to not let me. They say they are eager to give us beta access as soon as possible. Guess what? They could do that just now. If all of a sudden now was the 1st of december, they'd make the game available as it is to keep their 2013 beta promise. And there would be a good game for us to play.

But that beta will be our first impression of the game, and i'm sure they want it to be the very best experience they can deliver in 2013.

I've played other games recently that gave you VERY early access to the game when you pre-ordered them. And despite their warnings of the games being very unfished... playing these early game skeletons... totally killed by enthusiasm for said games.

So i can understand their fear of releasing something thats not "finished enough".

So my big question is: Hey Devs, do you really think releasing a beta of the game as it is now would dissapoint some of us? Or maybe is it something technical? Are so many changes happening each day right now that you think it would suck to have everyone patch the beta every day?

And last but not least... i don't want a refund. Because i know that even if it took 1 more year to release the game, i would buy the game on that day again. And right now i'm still unhappy. :cry:

2. Detaill

Detaill Space Spelunker

The people that you are responding to are asking complete logical questions with no sign of anger or hostility towards you, Bartwe. Honest, non-bs answers are what we are asking for. We understand that you can't give all of them, but don't pull random statements out of thin-air in hopes to calm the situation. That what was the entirety of the OP was about, man.

If you can't give a yes or no to actual release coming out in 2013, simply say it. Say that you can't give an answer. We would respect you much more for that.

3. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

If i say something notable it will probably be read by far more people.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  4. Critwrench

Critwrench Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not asking for that. The fact that there probably isn't going to be a predetermined 'THIS IS NOW RELEASE' date-- at least not this far out, with beta not being here-- is news. However minor it might seem, that sort of thing is an actual update. It is communication. More of that would leave a lot of people less angry, and that's all I've been asking for this whole thread. Because you have to realize, aside from what you just said, the only thing we've had to go on is the ominous words 'Estimated: 2013' for release.

Some people have figured that 'beta' and 'release' might be some few days apart, or some other small, ridiculous amount of time. Being told that won't be the case, whether indirectly or not, is incredibly important.

LeifGram and Detaill like this.
  5. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

I can't give you a yes/no because I don't know. but like I said, beta will keep everyone busy for a long time I'd imagine.

6. Vanishing

Vanishing Zero Gravity Genie

Please, count, a single negative post?
    It is sad that you see this as a "single negative post", where any other "single negative post" quickly got locked and posters redirected to the "big codex of release date of beta(read before posting)".
    Own it, please, just Own it.

Pingeh likes this.
  7. Detaill

Detaill Space Spelunker

There we go, then. That is all we were asking for. Thanks, man. No one here was trying to attack you, and I hope that you understand that. We simply wanted to clear the haze.

8. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

Thank you for this post, it really sums up part of the reasons why were making sure we have something good to give you.
    And thank you for not refunding, refunds actually cost us real money beyond repaying what you gave to us.

9. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

This is not a bad thread relative to some of the stuff that happens at times, thank you for keeping it civilized :)

10. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Bartwe? I'm not trying to be rude, but is there any chance you could answer why development was not accelerated by our preorders?
    You not having to get jobs is great. Yet if it was coming no matter what in 2013, and its now coming at the end of 2013. What did our pre-orders actually accomplish in terms of speeding up development?

I'm not trying to be emotional, I really wish to understand what happened? Coding takes time.. but.. well I thought you having more time would get the game to us faster. You all seemed shocked at the ammount of support which was way over your goals you said. So..

Do you understand why we are confused? I really want to understand here. If someone else can word this better then by all means, please do.

Gikkomelma, Pingeh and Detaill like this.
  11. enthusedpanda

enthusedpanda Pangalactic Porcupine

I am curious of the general mood of the dev team regarding there being three and a half months left to meet the "Beta in 2013" deadline.

A "mood" is not a concrete answer but it sheds light in a symbolic way.

DaviDeil likes this.
  12. Vanishing

Vanishing Zero Gravity Genie

My bad, I thought you meant this is a negative post.
    I am not sure if this is a spoiler, but regarding the "no September, nor October beta release in bartwe's stream" issue, are you comfortable to confirm that?

Thanks

P.S: Good communication eliminates misunderstandings, just like this one. :D

BigTeef likes this.
  13. BigTeef

BigTeef Aquatic Astronaut

May I remind everyone that we are here because of this.
    All of this started because of bad communication.

Pingeh likes this.
  14. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

If the preorder didn't happen we wouldn't be nearly as far as we are now. Also the 2013 promise is part of the preorder, without it we would be free to take forever on our own dime.

15. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

Stressed, Excited, Scared you know, normal feelings when you're getting close to send the project you've been working on for a long time into 100'000's of waiting hands.

16. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

I hope 'bad' in this context is relative.
    Who do you think does this better, we might be able to learn a few things from them.

17. Hippolv

Hippolv Void-Bound Voyager

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/omni-reply-to-community-questions.29051/
    I would say it's first impression, technical stuff, lost save file because of bugs, content (half finished stuff, empty dungeons, more like alpha not beta ...).

18. BigTeef

BigTeef Aquatic Astronaut

Bad communication involves somebody asking a question, and the person who is supposed to answer.
    Does not answer the question, or does answer but side stepping the context of the question.

However you guys didn't do that, you just stared at us saying "spoilers".
    So I don't know whats worse.

Also I could link to Terraria but I am not total asshole as much I think I am.

19. Sci-Fi Diplomat

Sci-Fi Diplomat Phantasmal Quasar

Honestly, I've funded plenty of projects that are a lot riskier than what starbound is and all have pulled successfully. I don't want some press release tech demo coming out in the next month, I want to have a well established final, nearing release version, released on the developers own terms it will be done when it is done and the developers are doing an excellent job of getting it to us sooner the most companies can manage. Keep up the good work Bart, as I will be perfectly happy to wait.

20. Critwrench

Critwrench Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Theoretically free, anyway. You guys did promise on the preorder page that you'd have it out in 2013 regardless of funding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.