1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

I like the idea, but.... I feel like it won't add to much to the game really. "Starter" pets... well... thats just at the start. It kind of reminds me how they gave Hunters a pet to start off with in WoW. I honestly want something that will last the entirety of the game much like the Novakid race or the Fossils.
    (but for something less than 1mil, sure, that doesn't hurt)

If I remember, correct me on this, but I remember a while back bosses would not be randomly generated like the rest of the creatures. Instead there would be a list of bosses premade that could spawn in their "arenas" (whatever it may be). How about more bosses or perhaps some way of making it so that some, some, bosses could be randomly generated?

Pie4Pigs, Autzome and Drakol like this.
  2. Yoshinom

Yoshinom Master Chief

Testraloss likes this.
  3. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

it doesn't have to be the one million goal.

4. flamedance58

flamedance58 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If these "Pets" do get in please make them optional, cause I honestly don't care to have this useless thing follow me. It's like those people who carry about those poor lil dogs that've been genetically altered to be a shrunken excuse of it's original glory in their purses :p
    I don't want to look like someone who supports the bastardization of a species just to look cute.

LeJon likes this.
  5. Pesty

Pesty Void-Bound Voyager

I would love for pets to be in the game :DD

6. IReallyHateYouPeople

IReallyHateYouPeople Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]

Aeon, Vaelium, Accipiter and 3 others like this.
  7. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well, first of all, while I vote Nay, Nay was by no means that far ahead. It got barely more votes than Yay. Second of all, internet. You don't have to take turns to vote, so votes can accumulate very quickly.

8. Afflicted One

Afflicted One Phantasmal Quasar

Pets would be a minor feature, it would be nice and I would love to see them get added, but there are far more interesting/important stretch goals to reach for.

Sundew likes this.
  9. HammerMagic

HammerMagic Industrial Terraformer

I mean, you already have monster pets, via taming monsters and such. If anything, why not just make your tamed monsters more "pet" like in a sense. Having a starter pet doesn't exactly seem like much of a reward for getting a ton of cash. Like the NovaKids and Fossils are definitely a decent addition, but something that amounts to a glorified vanity item don't really make me go like "Oh man I need this RIGHT NOW."

Although for an alternative idea, I don't really have anything super amazing I could offer up as a replacement. Maybe some method of a "portable" sound test, like being able to listen to whatever music you'd like at any point. Sort of like how Super Smash Brothers Brawl let you pick out what music you wanted for the stages. But that's most likely a dumb idea.

10. Miriadis

Miriadis Void-Bound Voyager

I'm cool with pets as long as I'm not obligated to start with one. I hated that on Torchlight.

I think it's really annoying to look around and see everybody with a little follower everywhere, but people should have the option. It'd be cool, though, if they were capturable, if they had to be earned.

Just make pets optional and not come for free (they can be quest/exploration/puzzle reward).

LazyManiac, Aviakio, Rekalty and 3 others like this.
  11. melodyburst

melodyburst Big Damn Hero

I like the idea of pets, but it'd be a thing that EVERYONE had. I mean, if you have the option for it, why wouldn't you? It'd lead to everything being really cluttered and... I wouldn't like it. I don't know.

12. shadowcrazy

shadowcrazy Phantasmal Quasar

the only issue I could see with this is the exact amount of money that's being thrown at you which exceeds what you expected your numbers would be (which I'll use as the GOAL mark) by such a huge amount that seeing only one stretch goal and that stretch goal being a non-combat pet just doesn't really WOO me like I'd like.

maybe if the non-combat pet has uses like fetching ammunition for you or supplies or does some neat tricks or something to make it more than just some pixels that follow you around then it'll be okay.

but that's just my 2 cents on why you'd think people wouldn't be that enthusiastic about it.

as for me? I wouldn't mind traveling the vast wonders of space with a companion I can name and take with me everywhere I go.

Ingwaz and Exi1e like this.
  13. Corsair

Corsair Orbital Explorer

I have no issue with pets, per se. I don't want to be penalized for not having them and there is the concern of them adding unnecessary noise to the screen. As long as I can function equally well as someone who has pets, Fantastic! If they have the advantage, I can deal with it but not what I desire.

14. Silvador

Silvador Phantasmal Quasar

I thought we were already going to have pets. Wasn't this mentioned a while ago?

Testraloss and Drakol like this.
  15. V M Smith

V M Smith Phantasmal Quasar

Possibly like a little dog who collects loot for you while you're killing more dudes?

ErekoseDM likes this.
  16. Herdo

Herdo Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes, but that was my point. Tiy specificly said the lack of multiplayer friendliness was due to the "evolution" of the space station. They should have just scraped that aspect of it and continued forward with the space stations. There are a lot of people who agree as well. Hopefully it's something they can focus on post release.

ErekoseDM and Garkarus like this.
  17. Casm

Casm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Even though Yay is in the lead (I myself voted Yay), there's enough Nay votes to warrant possible changes to the idea. You don't want a good 40%+ of your supporters to dislike an idea.

So, while I'm still cool with starter pets, I'm also still trying to think of other alternatives that would be relatively simple to implement yet completely awesome.

18. Exi1e

Exi1e Zero Gravity Genie

Yes we will have tamable monsters. We are talking about starter, non-combat, non-functioning, pets.

Tathar and Herdo like this.
  19. Radicool

Radicool Void-Bound Voyager

I feel that pets are a little too underwhelming for a stretch goal, i think there can be a lot of things more worth of being there than useless pets.

Tathar, Aviakio, Drakol and 1 other person like this.
  20. Flameofice

Flameofice Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmmmmm........ What about floating island planets? They could take some content from forest, plains, jungle, or snow planets, but be floating the the air. They could maybe also have extra flying mobs, and dungeons on their undersides. A new ore could work as well.

They'd contribute to gameplay because they look nice, would be challenging to navigate, and likely wouldn't take much work. Also, mining out the underside of a floating island is fun.

Drakol likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.