1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound for iOS

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Arcadoof, Oct 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcadoof

Arcadoof Star Wrangler

would it be possible to make a starbound optimized for iOS, if possible I'd like it to be compatible with iPad 4 and up, iPhone 5 and up, have a in game modding IDE and modding community most if not all features from pc starbound(not like with minecraft pocket edition where they cut off all the good features) but anyways, would that even be possible?

The modding isn't required but it'd be awesome, if you add mods and make it a perfect clone of pc make it where you can import pc mods to iOS

2. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

You're asking for a pretty CPU-heavy game to be ported to a mobile device.

I'm not sure you quite understand just how heavy the game is. It's not as light as Terraria. Our AMD A8-3850 is having trouble running the game and it's a 2,9gHz 4-core CPU, as well as that it still requires a better GPU than a Radeon HD 4830.

MilkCalf likes this.
  3. Arcadoof

Arcadoof Star Wrangler

Lower the sprite resolution, have it only process what's near the player, use more optimized algorithms and you can run it on an iPad, the iPhone 8 will have a 3 ghz CPU it could run it, my netbook can kinda run starbound even when modded.
    And my netbook has a 1.3 ghz apu, with 4gb of ram @800mhz and a 3ghz Gpu with 300 Mb of vram, if that thing can run starbound I'm pretty sure an iPad can too
    It'll need settings to remove stuff like shadows advanced lighting etc

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Lower the sprite resolution? The sprites are already at like 16x16. You would literally be cutting into quality. Plus, the sprites are only a small portion of the demand of the game.

The game already only really processes what is nearby. It loads in chunks to conserve memory.

This is very misleading here. The speed of a processor is mostly irrelevant. It is about the efficiency of the processor. Mobile processors are underpowered to limit power usage, and even at full power, they don't hold a candle to a laptop CPU or even a desktop CPU.

The simple fact is, no, it will not work well at all on mobile devices. The ONLY device I would see it working on is the Nvidia Shield, which is actually designed for gaming, albiet 3D gaming, but even then, I doubt it would perform well.

No offence dude, but this posts just shows pure ignorance on how any of this actually works.

MilkCalf and Iris Blanche like this.
  5. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

So... lower the sprite resolution of a game that's entirely built for that resolution? Meaning you'd have to recode the game's rendering from scratch OR upscale the sprites, meaning that the loss of detail in the game becomes even larger?
    Also, write a prototype of a game that would most likely need it's rendering code changed to fit a smartphone or tablet? Or do you just want to clone Terraria with Starbound's sprites. (I'll tell you now before you even say "yes", that it's highly illegal.)
    Also, I'd love to play this on my android, I'm sure my T3's battery will love me and not burst out of the back of my phone in an explosion of fire and battery acid.

Besides, if anyone would make a mobile port of Starbound (or even a prototype of it) it's going to be Chucklefish, and I am readily willing to admit I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.

And as last cherry on the cake, maybe next time you can google it. I typed "starbound mobile" into google and this is the first result that I got.

https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/starbound-mobile-would-it-be-plausible.10436/

MilkCalf likes this.
  6. Arcadoof

Arcadoof Star Wrangler

The pc version runs on my 1.3 ghz netbook, an objective c port could probably at least run on the latest iOS devices

7. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

How to handle multiplayer? Sync stuff? Procedural generation? Controls? Universal screen resolution adjustment so everything is still readable? Server-Client structure? Everything's being at a constant framerate? Hardware requirements? Minimal supported OS?

~ Iris ~

MilkCalf likes this.
  8. lazarus78

You are leaving out a fundamental issue. Mobile hardware is not nearly as powerful as laptop or desktop hardware. They have to be underpowered in order to maintain a reasonable battery life.

Allowing the mobile processors to run full power would generate a TON of heat, and phones are closed systems, so you now risk damaging internal hardware.

MilkCalf and Iris Blanche like this.
  9. Arcadoof

Arcadoof Star Wrangler

Multiplayer would be easy, the hard part is making all the mathematics an algorithms run on a puny mobile CPU, the procedural generation could be preprocessed to avoid excess lag.

My laptop has a mobile apu in it, it's the kinda thing you'd put in a cheap windows phone.

10. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Fun how you neatly avoid the problems of graphical rendering, battery life reduction, the fact that if they wanted a port the Starbound dev team would make one themselves, and the fact that your main question has been asked and answered before in another thread and that even a cursory search would have landed you there.

Stop trying to be extremely overly interesting, would you. It's aggravating.

MilkCalf and Surenu like this.
  11. Iris Blanche

How easy is multiplayer? How would you handle it? Packet size and stuff?

~ Iris ~

MilkCalf likes this.
  12. Arcadoof

Arcadoof Star Wrangler

I'm just wondering if it'd be even possible and from what I am hearing, the current iOS devices can't even get close, maybe in the future iOS devices they can,

Packets can be compressed like a .zip file and unpacked on the other end, I know that's what Minecraft does and it's multiplayer ain't that bad,

13. lazarus78

You are confusing hardware. Phones do NOT use the same hardware as laptops.

MilkCalf likes this.
  14. Arcadoof

Arcadoof Star Wrangler

I had just said, mine pretty much uses a mobile processor.

But yeah it seems modern hardware would make this impossible

15. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

This place got lit fast... the point being that this game does too many calculations and has a very high internet bandwidth demand for multiplayer. A mobile device will NOT work with this game, laptops are not included in mobile because they are not pocket sized.

MilkCalf likes this.
  16. lazarus78

Again, you are confusing hardware. There is a difference between "mobile" classed hardware and hardware used in mobile devices. Your laptop has a mobile classed processor, meaning it is a stripped down version of the desktop variant that prioritises power efficiency over performance.

MilkCalf likes this.
  17. Arcadoof

Arcadoof Star Wrangler

Compatibly wise will it run on raspberry pi? I plan on modding the f### out of it with optimization mods but can it run on ARM Linux compatibility wise? I.e can I install the Linux version to raspbian?

18. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Have you ever made a game? Let alone an online multiplayer one? On a mobile device?
    Do you know anything of the nitty gritty details that make a game work?
    Have you any idea on just how much stuff a game like Starbound has to calculate? How do you hope a mobile CPU keeps up with that, let alone one in a phone? I'd love to know how you hope to make it not make batteries flatline within the first 10 minutes or have it incinerate the phone's internals. And what about RAM?
    How do you wish to incorporate the game's various functions? Terraria had to cut down on stuff for their mobile port, or rework how certain aspects of the game work.

Minecraft might have been ported to mobile, but that's a game that has been in development for *nearly 8 years*, and is in it's base not a super heavy game if you limit things like render distance and mobs.

MilkCalf likes this.
  19. Iris Blanche

So basically you have no clue about hardware requirements but want to port it to mobile? Which language would you use anyways?

~ Iris ~

MilkCalf likes this.
  20. Arcadoof

Arcadoof Star Wrangler

I'm just wondering can I install it and have it actually start it up? I know the raspi is underpowered and will lag so bad I lose my mind, it's still worth a shot to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.