1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

small cobblestone rant

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by wemelchor, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Pumpkin_Masher

Pumpkin_Masher Cosmic Narwhal

I remember in the very first release you got different cobblestone in your inventory. Resulted in a full inventory with nothing but tiny stacks of different cobblestones. The first patch changed it to how it is now.

2. MyLittleBurger

MyLittleBurger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You mean you see beautiful variations of un-refined stone that you get the same cobblestone from. Which also is pretty similar to the trees in that most of the trees drop regular un-refined wood (though different variations of both would be nice fore aesthetic reasons at least).

3. sylfeden

sylfeden Void-Bound Voyager

I agree, there are some wonderfull texture/color cobblestone you see, and they just all go the same grey sprite. I would like to use some of those raw cobblestone simply because they would be great for building shacks, castle foundations or as bagground walls. I wish I could make sandstoneblocks which retains their colour tint. Yellow is nice, but there is nice pale peach, turqouis, blue, green .. etc out there. I want those tints for my bricks. Wood of different colours would be nice as well, both for building and furniture.

4. RicochetOrange

RicochetOrange Subatomic Cosmonaut

The simple answer- make other cobble textures (and the same for other blocks) craftable. Probably with a special block crafting bench to not clog up the other crafting stuff with piles of reskinned blocks.

Or make it possible to change the default cobble texture with a tool or something. Maybe a matter manipulator upgrade that lets you do that? That would make the Matter Manipulator useful.

5. tehPhunnee

tehPhunnee Title Not Found

In my opinion, the community at the time this poll was posted, dropped the ball.

Why didn't it occur to anyone it would be better to mine blocks as they are & if space becomes a problem....use your crafting table to make packed dirts & cobblestone bricks?

That way you can have the original materials & the refined stuff if space becomes a problem...oh well.:wut:

6. Fresh Ears

Fresh Ears Big Damn Hero

I agree with the sentiment of this thread, but I think the answer could be quite simple. Keep the mechanics as they are (for inventory purposes) and then just let the paint tool cover the rest. I'd love for the paint to work on anything besides wood, which so far, is all I've been able to get it to work on. Basically we could stack vanilla cobble, brick it and whatever. Final step > paint it a color of choice and it's all set. I really like how the paint tool handles wood, I just wish it was usable on all (or at least more) block types.

Tamorr likes this.
  7. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't see how you can say that. Only 9.3% asked for what we currently have, and the entire thread (plus this one) is filled with option 4s. Nobody knew there were going to be bricks, but I'm pretty sure someone posted something to that extent in the 22 pages of the thread (or the 7 of the other one.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  8. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

The paint tool would be, I think, a decent solution for different color bricks (I think it might work on sandstone already), but there is also the matter of texture. There are at least three differnt cobblestone designs out i the worlds, but once you gather them they become the same pattern as the basic cobblestone.

9. MyLittleBurger

MyLittleBurger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've noticed more than three un-refined stone types, but only one type of cobblestone that they all drop.

10. Fresh Ears

Fresh Ears Big Damn Hero

Yeah, good call about the textures. Maybe they should keep the textures separate in block form as we mine them, so 3 or more different variation stacks possible, but ignoring the color. That way texture is the only differing factor (for inventory purposes). Then allow us to paint them with the tool! Seems legit to me! :D

11. LazerusKI

LazerusKI Phantasmal Quasar

i think the paint tool would be the easiest solution.
    instead of applying a specific color to the blocks like it currently is, it could also cycle between the colors of blocks like cobblestone.
    but i would have also no problems if we could mine more different materials, we can allready have X different types of dirt and sand, why not the rest?
    just store the unused blocks in chests or soemthing, thats what they are made for

12. Hexerin

Hexerin Existential Complex

before i trashed the non-standard variations, i had small amounts of roughly 6 different variations of cobblestone in my inventory.

13. Zedek

Zedek Space Spelunker

14. F-ranko

F-ranko Heliosphere

Ok, this is a really good idea. You should submit it to reddit or something.

On topic, I agree with the OP. I want to be able to have some way to cycle through block textures instead of being stuck with the bland default textures.

15. Raindrac

Raindrac Existential Complex

Thanks, I didn't want to post it here because I was being worried about being accused of advertising or something.
    While an easy solution, it doesn't really make much sense on why a paint gun would completely change the texture and type of block.
    But eh... Starbound and logic don't really get along too well. So it might still be a good idea.

16. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe a variant on the matter manipulator, then?

17. RicochetOrange

RicochetOrange Subatomic Cosmonaut

Make it an Upgrade of the Matter Manipulator.

18. TomdaGoat

TomdaGoat Void-Bound Voyager

I would assume that there are already a few mods to have some color / look variation in your everyday blocks for the people who care more about building than bag space. Hurrah for the modding community everybody its only gonna get better

19. Zedek

Zedek Space Spelunker

Np man, your mods are awesome, they deserve the shoutout. Keep up the excellent work!