Red Space Monkey Contest Entry - The Throgs

Discussion in 'The Monster Monster Contest' started by Red Space Monkey, Mar 6, 2012.

1. jackalope

jackalope Big Damn Hero

So much win right here! I'll be really surprised if this doesn't win!(And could you maybe check out my submission too?:rofl:)

2. Red Space Monkey

Red Space Monkey Phantasmal Quasar

There are so many creative and deep entries, I think it's very vague to tell who got the biggest change. Especially because there's still much time left. :)

3. Red Space Monkey

BIG UPDATE: I made a new section talking about their anatomy and how their overall body works. Also, to fill the gap, I added some more info about their behaviour regarding their social life. To show the different outfits a throg can wear I created a more geared up version of this race. Maybe this could be some kind of commander with higher stats and better weaponry.
    Additionally, there's a simple banner now as a symbol for the unity and the "pride" of the throgs.

4. jackalope

jackalope Big Damn Hero

What'd you use to sprite the stuff?

Also, would it be possible to get "friendlier" Throg in your crew? I'd love to take one on my explorations!

5. Motie

Motie Big Damn Hero

What if there was a planet that was a giant throg
    Would living on it be disrespectful?

On a more serious note, are the glowing bands on their weapons, vehicles, armor, and kitchen utensils meant to give off much light, or are they just easily visible in themselves?
    It appears they should, but the shading indicates it has no actual lighting effect.
    Perhaps when angered, throgs would turn red or start glowing noticeably. (lighting up things like caves and such)

6. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

Love the detail and creativity you put in this. Good luck with everything and the contest.

7. Red Space Monkey

I use GraphicsGale, it's the best choice for doing pixel art. Mh, maybe with a little quest where an intelligent throg wants to leave his past behind or something. ^^
    They are supposed to glow a little bit, but it's a very weak light so I don't felt like changing the shading for that. But your idea with changing the color to red when they're angered is pretty cool, I'll think about that.

Thanks mate, if you're participating, I wish you much luck and lots of fun too!

8. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

Not shamelessly plugging, just need more opinions, but here it is: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/androbot-v2-1.1854/
    Not very "creative" but fits the genre well. Let me know what you think.

Let me know when you update, it's very well thought out.

9. Red Space Monkey

No problem, we all like to get feedback, and this contest should be about having fun in general, so don't bother to advertise your entry. :)
    Also, I think that my entry will have alot more content by the end of the contest, stay tuned. =D

10. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

I will keep checking up on it, interested in seeing what you keep coming up with.

11. Vaidred

Vaidred Phantasmal Quasar

speachless... in a good way of course

12. Red Space Monkey

UPDATE: I added some more interesting lore to most of the subheadings to delve into the throggish society. Also, there's a now a new weapon displayed: A giant spoon to hurl electric grenades around. Fun!

13. Noezz

Noezz Aquatic Astronaut

Also give the others a chance to win

14. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

That's really cool! Sprites for everyone everywhere! Yay!

15. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

They look so muck irritating.Nice sprite,likely cool story.

16. Red Space Monkey

The contest is not over yet, and there are many other great entries, I think the winner will be a big suprise to everyone.
    Thanks to both of you. :)

17. Noezz

Noezz Aquatic Astronaut

I know but i mean u have a big chance

18. JoNnY__7

JoNnY__7 Master Chief

o_O!
    Your art is very good! And this idea so, I liked that, I hope the devs like too! :)
    I Liked the idea of the Vehicle, and of the Spoon too :laugh:
    Hey, they are pigs? :eek:

19. Giant Door

Giant Door Space Penguin Leader

This has got to be one of my favourite submissions on here. My only criticism would be that I don't see them as being as much of a "monster" as I do an enemy race. I mean that in a good way though, it's just they seem to have too much character to just be another mob... I'd love to see full blown planets with a community of these creatures doing things the "throg" way.

20. Red Space Monkey

Yeah, that was something I thought about too. But in the end, you will encounter them as a "simple" mob for the first times. Maybe you'll be able to make some side quests related to them and get information about their society, but in the end they're just a mob. :) But even when this entry isn't legit, I hope the devs get inspired by it.